Can't the average user not put a mild amount of effort into tracking down the COD(s) and just making their own package that they can install locally?

I understand if the guy devved the s**t from scratch but cmon, I mean what I said about the Lucky45 thing and this - even I'm feeling emotional right about now *sob*.
    03-28-12 11:25 AM
    Yea i bet rroy's freebies kept many blackberry users on att.

I think it would send a clear message if many people ditched them and went to a carrier that isnt double charging people.
    Willard814 and angel_esq like this.
    03-28-12 11:27 AM
    Really so he wrote the bridge apps before he modified them? Yeah don't think so. If I take music that michael jackson wrote and changed a lyric I'd be sued up my a**
    Further to this, look what (BBOS??) did. And they did it oh-so modestly - they made Bridge work during Beta when it wasn't initally working during the first Beta leak.
    03-28-12 11:29 AM
    Can't the average user not put a mild amount of effort into tracking down the COD(s) and just making their own package that they can install locally?

I understand if the guy devved the s**t from scratch but cmon, I mean what I said about the Lucky45 thing and this - even I'm feeling emotional right about now *sob*.
    The average user doesnt know how to make an OTA package. Nor do they know where to get COD files for another vendorID.
    03-28-12 11:29 AM
    Really so he wrote the bridge apps before he modified them? Yeah don't think so. If I take music that michael jackson wrote and changed a lyric I'd be sued up my a**
    You arent understanding what I am saying. He created the OTA download, likely by downloading the application via app world, extracting CODs and writing an JAD/ALX file for it. He also set up his web server to be able to deliver those OTAs. He did not alter the program in any way.
    03-28-12 11:31 AM
    OH NO! Bad news for ATT. People! Maybe time to switch carriers!

Thanks for all your work rroyy!
    Willard814 and maddie1128 like this.
    03-28-12 11:32 AM
    he didnt take out a vendor ID either. he likely downloaded from a different carrier, different vendor ID. I can extract the CODs from my verizon 9930 easily and then create the OTA package and download this on my AT&T 9900 without issue.
    Willard814 and angel_esq like this.
    03-28-12 11:39 AM
    Simple solution. Don't ever upgrade....just because his site is down doesn't mean the app as it is now just stops working......
    As an att user what do I do with the 9900 that just came in the mail this morning.
    I'm sure I'll find the file somewhere and try to remember how to get the app on the phone but clicking a link was so much easier.
    Willard814 and jafobabe like this.
    03-28-12 11:40 AM
    This is a sad day for all the BlackBerry Users out there.

RRoyy was a great asset for the CrackBerry Nation and very generous with his work.

I'm not sure if he will read this post, or even care what is said in it, but Much Thanks, Best Wishes, and above all I am Grateful beyond Words.
    03-28-12 11:42 AM
    For all those saying all the things…which one of you going to take it over and offer it?
    03-28-12 11:43 AM
    You arent understanding what I am saying. He created the OTA download, likely by downloading the application via app world, extracting CODs and writing an JAD/ALX file for it. He also set up his web server to be able to deliver those OTAs. He did not alter the program in any way.
    He still was doing something illegal. Why should he be criticizing anyone else for basically doing what he was doing?
    03-28-12 11:49 AM
    He still was doing something illegal. Why should he be criticizing anyone else for basically doing what he was doing?
    What is illegal about what he was doing? (other than *possibly* hosting the files). Its absolutely no different than me using my BES to push the app out to my users or posting an OTA page for users to reach inside my company (which RIM encourages and even helps with). Also bear in mind legality has to do with location. Its more likely it was against the Terms of Service, but not illegal.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-28-12 11:52 AM
    Yes this is a very sad day for all blackberry users. You have a person who takes the time to provide the rest of us with the OTA's and because of one person who wants to claim the other person's time and efforts the rest of us are going to loose out. Rroyy if you happen to read this, there are are a ton of us that really do appreciate your time and effort that you put into the OTA's
    jafobabe, maddie1128 and angel_esq like this.
    03-28-12 11:56 AM
    OH NO! Bad news for ATT. People! Maybe time to switch carriers!

Thanks for all your work rroyy!
    Oh, definitely!!! Switch carriers guys. Drop AT&T like a bad habit. Ironic but rroy's ota actually generated revenue for at&t as opposed to causing them to lose it... Because his OTA's kept customers on that sorry, worthless carrier that might have otherised bailed.
    alnamvet68, jafobabe and angel_esq like this.
    03-28-12 11:56 AM
    Sir Roy A's recent tweets, latest to oldest:

"just closed it... I'm done... rroyy.com is done..."

"Cmon O_O It's not easy for me to close rroyy.com too.. I even made OTAs when I was in vacation.. In Beirut, London and anywhere."

"To protect my work... I just closed rroyy.com I don't want someone to copy all OTAs and steal my work... GBye @rroyycom"

"I think Matrix Leader or such morons like him will find any other OTA provider 2 steal cods.. Dont worry there'll be always some1 makin OTAs"

"1,068,378 page views, 200,159 users since 7 SEP 2011... but not havin' fun anymore... rroyy.com 31st of March is the date..."

"I'll close rroyy.com on 31 March 2012 if I won't change my mind... 3days to go..."
    Last edited by jcbrunson; 03-28-12 at 01:36 PM.
    Mama2Many and Willard814 like this.
    03-28-12 11:58 AM
    Oh, definitely!!! Switch carriers guys. Drop AT&T like a bad habit. Ironic but rroy's ota actually generated revenue for at&t as opposed to causing them to lose it... Because his OTA's kept customers on that sorry, worthless carrier that might have otherised bailed.
    I get this feeling you dislike att.
    jfelen likes this.
    03-28-12 11:59 AM
    A "Keep rroyy here!" petition in order???????
    03-28-12 12:01 PM
    A "Keep rroyy here!" petition in order???????
    I get the feeling that DONATIONS would make more of a difference than a petition. Attention AT&T users - step up, make a donation, and watch rroyy.com come back up. I get the impression from his tweets that he's tired of doing it for free. Drop a lincoln in his paypal acct and see what happens...
    Last edited by jcbrunson; 03-28-12 at 12:23 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-28-12 12:10 PM
    I get this feeling you dislike att.
    I'm in Canada and I detest AT&T. Almost every other carrier in North America doesn't charge for bridging and web browsing via the bridge, AT&T thinks they can be the ONE carrier who can double dip and charge data + BIS for bridging. It's an a$$ backwards approach to take.

I don't usually agree with kb5zht, but in this case I really do agree, for all people on AT&T, if you can, jump ship off of AT&T and go somewhere else where you won't get raped for data

On a side note, it's a real shame someone was stealing rroyys OTA's and claiming they are theirs when WE all know here at CB that he has been a real hero for the AT&T Community.
    03-28-12 12:19 PM
    I get the feeling that DONATIONS would make more of a difference than a petition.
    Horrible idea! Yeah, let's pay someone for repackaging a free app and hosting it as an OTA. Brilliant....
    Willard814, middbrew and SCrid2000 like this.
    03-28-12 12:23 PM
    Weird he said he was taking it down on the 31st not today. His reasoning? "just bored " "it use to be fun but it's not fun anymore." the site will be down on the 31st unless I change my mind before then.

Sux and six bad if your on att.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-28-12 12:24 PM
    That's what happens when people take and do not give...

Another great resource gets burned out
    Its easy to get burned out doing this kind of stuff, now as for giving donations, rroyy don't need money, he's rich don't ya know?

Seriously, if one does all the work, they deserve all the credit. While stealing someone else's work and calling their own is obviously wrong, this is the internet and it is going to happen, like trying to stop trolls, viruses and malware, tough job to keep up with sometimes.

Further to this, look what (BBOS??) did. And they did it oh-so modestly - they made Bridge work during Beta when it wasn't initally working during the first Beta leak.
    Actually, we call it OSBB (OpenSourceBlackBerry or OpenSourceBB.com).
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    03-28-12 12:24 PM
    I hope he changes his mind. I have no idea how to change the app myself! If I didn't love my 9800 so much I would leave ATT.
    03-28-12 12:37 PM
    Horrible idea! Yeah, let's pay someone for repackaging a free app and hosting it as an OTA. Brilliant....
    I'd agree with you if others did it too, but he seemed to be the only one.

The issue is that AT&T subscibers who do not subscribe to another carrier CANNOT get the "free" functional file at all. I'd be more than happy to download it from AppWorld or some other site and inject it myself as a cod or package it as a jad, but I can't. I'm totally locked out without rroyy. If I ota from my phone I get the crippled AT&T version. If I download from AppWorld I get the crippled AT&T version. There's no way to get another carrier version (that I know of).
    03-28-12 12:38 PM
    I'd agree with you if others did it too, but he seemed to be the only one.

The issue is that AT&T subscibers who do not subscribe to another carrier CANNOT get the "free" functional file at all. I'd be more than happy to download it from AppWorld or some other site and inject it myself as a cod or package it as a jad, but I can't. I'm totally locked out without rroyy. If I ota from my phone I get the crippled AT&T version. If I download from AppWorld I get the crippled AT&T version. There's no way to get another carrier version (that I know of).
    is it just downloading it from another carrier or is there some modifying that needs to be done?

if someone knows how to make it work PM me
    03-28-12 12:42 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD