How could a company with 2.93B in cash and ZERO debt be taken over?
    - because they own the controlling stock.

So.. ANY company could OFFER but they cannot just take it over.

A company where the public owns the controlling share can be taken over more easily... with the approval going to the shareholders. all you need is a majority vote.

No way is this going to happen

Haven't you heard of a hostile takeover. Did Gordon Gekko teach you nothing!?
    08-18-11 04:05 PM
    zzZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZzZzzzZzzzZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    all these rumors, all this talk about takeover blabla

i just want my 9900 now -_-
    WILLSaDICKted likes this.
    08-18-11 04:07 PM
    Secondly, if a buyout were to happen, it would first need to be cleared from the Canadian government (which is highly unlikely).
    Huhhh!! Where'd you get this from? Especially the "highly unlikely" part.

I'm no expert but the only thing the government is interested in is making sure a buyout doesn't result in an anti-competive marketplace. Unless they have a valid legal reason they cannot stop a free-market transaction such as this from occuring.
    08-18-11 04:30 PM

This says it all.
    Seijuro likes this.
    08-18-11 04:43 PM
    Haven't you heard of a hostile takeover. Did Gordon Gekko teach you nothing!?
    Wasn't Gordon Gekko a fisherman?
    08-18-11 04:46 PM

This says it all.
    agreed !
    WILLSaDICKted likes this.
    08-18-11 04:47 PM
    Funny thing, many folk have wanted the ceo'S to go, now they maybe the ones to save it all.
    agreed !
    seriously just LMAO! that was great!
    08-18-11 04:53 PM
    yea lol, i love that picture xD
    08-18-11 05:13 PM
    You describe a proxy vote. All it takes is a serious offer.
    I think Mike and Jim own about 8% together. A company can also buy shares on the open market to outweigh them or just make a really compelling offer...there are ways. Greed usually works Remember a lot of shareholders have been locked up for years.
    RIM has 524 million shares......Mike and Jim own 51 million shares approximately....this equates to approximately 9.8% of share ownership..

RIM is currently under a 5% share buy back program(which under Canadian law is the limit per year) , which should reduce outstanding shares by almost 26 million during RIM's current fiscal year....the beginning of Fiscal 2013 should result in 498 outstanding shares with Mike and Jim owning over 10%....

One should also note that with shares being priced at what they are currently...Mike and Jim are more then likely purchasing more...along with Mike and Jim's inner circle

Mike and Jim have the balance of controlling vote in RIM's destiny...The only way RIM can be taken over is if Mike and Jim will agree...They are still young men in the business world with the best years ahead of them...No way will a take over occur....

Mike and Jim have ownership of very powerful voting shares....and unless they agree to any type of offer...There is now way they can or will be taken over...
    08-18-11 05:20 PM
    I really don't think a takeover will happen. I don't even know if I would want / mind if it did. I love my BB and the way the OS works. I would hate to lose that experience. If the devices has just a bit more juice and the ability to run GREAT apps (QNX will most likely be the fix for that) I think there would be no talk of this.

That being said, I can see Apple or Google being good people to buy them up. I think going to Dell, HP, or anyone else would be a complete waste as you can CLEARLY see the trend is iOS and Android. They are the MUST have devices. Apple would be able to fully enter the enterprise market just the way they have been wanting to do with RIM expertise. I also believe that the security from RIM would help in the Jailbreaking issues that iOS has. Same goes with Google.

anyways, just my .02$
    08-18-11 10:57 PM
    I think its clear, just like potash co, we need an outsider to try and then Canadians will wake up to the value of the home grown brand. RIM stands alone and succeeds mark my words!!
    Jake Storm likes this.
    08-18-11 11:04 PM
    It would be to dissolve the platform and take over the enterprise world, nobody would keep BBOS afloat, or qnx for that matter. They'd introduce their current, very successful platform to BES

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 01:41 AM
    It would be to dissolve the platform and take over the enterprise world, nobody would keep BBOS afloat, or qnx for that matter. They'd introduce their current, very successful platform to BES

Aaah, no.
    If there are going to be any acquisitions, it will be RIM doing the buying. Mike and Jim are not going to sell anytime soon.
    I could see RIM buying Palm for the patents. RIM, Apple, and Microsoft are going to bend Android over on patents for the foreseeable future.
    08-19-11 02:06 AM
    Aaah, no.
    If there are going to be any acquisitions, it will be RIM doing the buying. Mike and Jim are not going to sell anytime soon.
    I could see RIM buying Palm for the patents. RIM, Apple, and Microsoft are going to bend Android over on patents for the foreseeable future.
    The wall street journal doesn't see it that way

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903480904576510762124892204.html

And I seem to recall people who run this site posting an article listing reasons rim will be purchased. There are a plethora of resources speculating who will be buying rim, none as far as who rim will be buying, other than dropbox

08-19-11 02:12 AM
    RIM will never fall. They have bright minds that keep on thinking.
    08-19-11 02:52 AM
    RIM will never fall. They have bright minds that keep on thinking.
    I wish their investors felt like that

08-19-11 03:01 AM
    If Google buys RIM and bastardizes the phones by putting android in a bold form factor - I am done with smartphones and will go back to a dumbphone in a heartbeat.
    08-19-11 06:13 AM
    The wall street journal doesn't see it that way

Google Deal Seen as Boost to RIM - WSJ.com
    Put a lot of weight behind a newspaper owned by Rupert Murdoch dontcha? One small step above tabloid journalism.
    08-19-11 06:15 AM
    If Google buys RIM and bastardizes the phones by putting android in a bold form factor - I am done with smartphones and will go back to a dumbphone in a heartbeat.
    No you won't. Sure..you might have a temper tantrum and throw a hissy fit..but if you use your "smartphone" for anything other than just a phone..then, you'll soldier on and find something that still suits your needs.
    08-19-11 06:18 AM
    No you won't. Sure..you might have a temper tantrum and throw a hissy fit..but if you use your "smartphone" for anything other than just a phone..then, you'll soldier on and find something that still suits your needs.
    Pretty stupid prediction considering you have never met me nor know anything about me. Since you seem to be so clairvoyant - Who will win the super bowl this year?

Sherlock Holmes you are not.
    08-19-11 07:39 AM
    I use my Bold for phone calls, email, and instant messenging. I have zero third party apps in my third party applications list. People right here on this forum have already told me I'm using my BlackBerry as a dumbphone. Screw Google. I even stopped using it as a search engine on my laptop.

08-19-11 07:50 AM
    If QNX fails on phones then RIM as we know it is gone

08-19-11 07:51 AM
    Since you seem to be so clairvoyant - Who will win the super bowl this year?
    New England. Book it.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-19-11 07:53 AM
    Oh yea. I use the organizer feature, too.
    08-19-11 08:04 AM
    I'm boycotting Google. I hope everyone else does, too!

08-19-11 08:36 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD