Other devices may have made it to the mark a bit quicker but, any way you shake it, selling 50 million of any consumer electronics device is pretty darn impressive, especially when the device in question is often laden with contracts and hefty monthly bills. yes RIM sells its 50 millionth BlackBerry check it out...
    Last edited by aadiawan; 04-05-09 at 12:36 AM.
    04-05-09 12:33 AM
    Yeah it was already posted in this thread on here this week. Good read though...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/rim-...fourth+quarter
    Last edited by mwdb4au; 04-05-09 at 12:39 AM.
    04-05-09 12:36 AM
    after making 50 million blackberry's then you would think they could introduce a model that works first time...

and given the huge profits ya fink they would spend some on r&d as the "OS of the week" mentality is rediculous...
    04-05-09 12:08 PM
    after making 50 million blackberry's then you would think they could introduce a model that works first time...

and given the huge profits ya fink they would spend some on r&d as the "OS of the week" mentality is rediculous...
    Are you an I Phone troll? My BB works great right out of the box. No problems at all. Great phone, which it wouldn't be if they didn't do their R&D.
    04-05-09 01:41 PM
    haha, take that Apple and your stupid IPhoney!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 01:46 PM

My 7290 worked first time and still does.
    My 8100 worked first time and still does.
    My 8310 worked first time and still does.
    My 8000 worked first time and still does.

What are you talking about?

The OS is under continuous development. I think that it is credit to RIM that they are able to service so many carrier requests for so many phone models in all those languages so frequenty

What are you talking about?
    04-05-09 01:53 PM

^^ well said.
    04-05-09 01:54 PM

lol well said
    04-06-09 12:08 AM
    Gentlemen,

Please read my profile. It clearly states I own a curve..not an iPhone.

I am sorry that i do not subscribe to the rabid fanboyism that is so prevalent here in the responses and further apologise for intimating anything negative about your first love.

These are consumer devices.. not freakgeek devices and so to see the rush of post release *newer* OS's appearing on such a regular basis is poor product management and indicative of low standards of qualification in the engineering department.

As EVIDENCE (not emotion) take a look at pretty much any of the interim releases for the curve or storm. It is crystal clear to anyone with an R&D background from an organised operation that validation and qualification is sub par.. speakerphone blasts etc etc..

So before anyone leaps to the profits and shipments as an indicator that RIM has such a quality organisation... reflect on Microsoft and state your case ONLY if you believe they have, after >15yrs, YET produced a rock solid OS for computers...

now y'all have a nice day ripping me apart,
    04-06-09 08:04 AM
    lol well said
    Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week!

04-06-09 09:26 AM
    wow 50 million
    04-06-09 05:19 PM
    Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week!

Welcome Welcome
    04-08-09 08:39 AM
    Even if your annaly retentive and cant agree MYSTIC205 places an extremely well literated arguement !

I have to agree I have yet to use a stable pc O/S however you look at it.
    04-08-09 05:16 PM
    Mine worked right out he box as well
    04-08-09 05:19 PM

So you mean all this time RIM who has been making phones all these years has only sold 50 million, while Apple in less than 2 years has sold 17 million iphones, who would have known.
    04-08-09 06:31 PM
    So before anyone leaps to the profits and shipments as an indicator that RIM has such a quality organisation... reflect on Microsoft and state your case ONLY if you believe they have, after >15yrs, YET produced a rock solid OS for computers...

now y'all have a nice day ripping me apart,
    Vista was a rock solid OS? I thought it took them until Service Pack 1 to fix most of the problems they began off with.... And surveys shows Vista to be the least popular... I'll admit I use Vista, solely cause my Gaming PC has more than enough power to run it a long with my games... but for the average consumer... wow... Vista is pretty much a resource hog takes 2GB of RAM for it to start shinning... but the point remains... Vista w/o SP1 was completely useless and not stable, if anything it was filled with problems and released... Vista w/ SP1 has improved but still many complain and I don't blame them. So comparing RIM to Microsoft was pretty weak... as Microsoft had a bad run with Vista. Windows 7 is suppose to be better, as I see it, Windows 7 was the Vista we should have gotten, but hey each to his own.
    04-08-09 10:09 PM
    Ok, let see about stable OS? PC's, let's not talk about stable os's since windows 95 microsoft hasn't produced not a single stable os...

Sure (I can't belive I'm about to say this) Vista is OK for the average Joe that doesn't know much about computers and wants one to check his mail and surf the net and run some programs. But for the more expirenced pc user I find Linux to be the better OS (diffrent story for a diffrent time).

Now as for apple selling 17mil Iphones in 2 years let me ask you. How many people bought them out of pure curiosity? I personnally know atleast 10 people that did and after less than 6 months switched back to blackberries cause they couldn't deal with the (as one of them said) "Itoy" they had gotten themselves into.

I remember having a conversation with a friend of mine the day she bought her Iphone. I asked her why did she buy it and she replied that she wanted an Ipod touch and it was cheaper to get an Iphone than an Ipod touch. I ran into her 2 months later and she had traded it in for a Curve. I asked what happened and she said: "that P.O.S died after one week of use and they blamed me for it!". Sorry I can't ever think of owning an Iphone after hearing what she told me...

04-08-09 11:12 PM
    Its amazing what some people think. I've had a Berry for a long time. I only upgrade because i can afford to. I always give my old ones to family.

As a Canadian, I'm happy to know RIM is taking canadian technology to the world.

Viva La RIM!!!
    04-08-09 11:25 PM
    Ok, let see about stable OS? PC's, let's not talk about stable os's since windows 95 microsoft hasn't produced not a single stable os...

Sure (I can't belive I'm about to say this) Vista is OK for the average Joe that doesn't know much about computers and wants one to check his mail and surf the net and run some programs. But for the more expirenced pc user I find Linux to be the better OS (diffrent story for a diffrent time).

Now as for apple selling 17mil Iphones in 2 years let me ask you. How many people bought them out of pure curiosity? I personnally know atleast 10 people that did and after less than 6 months switched back to blackberries cause they couldn't deal with the (as one of them said) "Itoy" they had gotten themselves into.

I remember having a conversation with a friend of mine the day she bought her Iphone. I asked her why did she buy it and she replied that she wanted an Ipod touch and it was cheaper to get an Iphone than an Ipod touch. I ran into her 2 months later and she had traded it in for a Curve. I asked what happened and she said: "that P.O.S died after one week of use and they blamed me for it!". Sorry I can't ever think of owning an Iphone after hearing what she told me...

Yeah like I'm sure people don't buy blackberries out of "curiosity" and return them and studies show RIM is actually dropping in consumer satisfaction so I would say it's the RIM customers who are returning their blackberries, LOL:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/ri...atings-202162/
    04-08-09 11:47 PM
    Yeah like I'm sure people don't buy blackberries out of "curiosity" and return them and studies show RIM is actually dropping in consumer satisfaction so I would say it's the RIM customers who are returning their blackberries, LOL:

May b you are right, but they are coming up with BB storm 2 in the end of this year, check this thread BlackBerry Storm 2 Officially Confirmed for 2009
    I think they are now focusing one quantity rather than quality.....may b
    04-09-09 01:00 AM

Your right most that do buy any phone out of curiosity aren't educated buyers. They are the type of people that buy things on a whim.

A blackberry and a palm aren't "toys" and really aren't marketed for children (ages 14-21). They are work tools that are marketed as such. People that buy a BB/Palm phone should know that they are buying a portable PC that is intended for work purposes, not for gamming/twittering/facebooking or to be used as an ipod. Even though you can do that with a BB.

Most that have bought a BB and returned them might have returned it because either it was to complicated for them (as a co-worker told me once) or too bulky for them (as another co-worker told me) or just wasn't "as cool" as an iphone (yes a co-worker told me that too hahaha, a month later I then saw her with a pearl).

Iphones where made for the younger croud so that they may waste more money on something they really don't need. After all I'd dare to say if not all but most young people have some sort of media player, be an ipod, a zune, a generic mp3 player, portable cd player or any other type.

I don't see the reason to invest into a phone just because its an ipod and a phone at the same time. I guess I'm just getting old at the age of 29 and am seeing that a practical item that does all that I need it to do is better than a extravagent item that doesn't fufill my needs (as a buissness person) without having to do heavy modifications (in the form of downloading apps).

And remember that the Iphone gets tons of advertisement targeting teens while I have yet to see comercials (besides verison's lame attempt to compeat the storm with att iphone) from BB to show off what it can or can't do. After all the average person that buys a BB knows what he or she is getting into and knows why they buy it.

Oh and btw in the graph you pointed out it says that they surveyed aprox. 5000 people but it doesn't say how many people of each type. For all we know they could have asked 100 iphone users and 1000 BB users.

Also posted in that link is another graph that show the browser usage opera mini vrs safari mobile. But it too doesn't take into account the 13million ipod touches that browse the net with the same browser. 0

I would like to see a graph where they ask the same amount of users of iphone as bb users how satisfied they are with their phone.

Oh and one last item before I drop the subject. Iphone is 2 years old and has 17million sold. How many black berries where sold durring its first 2 years or durring the same past 2 years that the iphone has been out? Those are the numbers we should be comparing and not the fact that an older company has sold 50 million units and a younger company has sold 17.
    Last edited by Yokomohoyo; 04-09-09 at 04:25 AM.
    04-09-09 03:21 AM
    I probably bought the 50th million BB...
    04-09-09 03:56 PM
    May b you are right, but they are coming up with BB storm 2 in the end of this year, check this thread BlackBerry Storm 2 Officially Confirmed for 2009
    I think they are now focusing one quantity rather than quality.....may b
    What is your point?
    04-09-09 05:04 PM
    Your right most that do buy any phone out of curiosity aren't educated buyers. They are the type of people that buy things on a whim.

A blackberry and a palm aren't "toys" and really aren't marketed for children (ages 14-21). They are work tools that are marketed as such. People that buy a BB/Palm phone should know that they are buying a portable PC that is intended for work purposes, not for gamming/twittering/facebooking or to be used as an ipod. Even though you can do that with a BB.
    LOL, is this why RIM is going so much into the consumer side, teaming up with U2, developing devices like the Storm, App World with facebook aps, focusing more on music and video, yeah right.

As for Palm, yeah they focused so much on business that the company is almost dead and have now launched a more consumer device the Palm Pre to try and save the company. Yeah so much for a work tool. LOL.

Most that have bought a BB and returned them might have returned it because either it was to complicated for them (as a co-worker told me once) or too bulky for them (as another co-worker told me) or just wasn't "as cool" as an iphone (yes a co-worker told me that too hahaha, a month later I then saw her with a pearl).

Iphones where made for the younger croud so that they may waste more money on something they really don't need. After all I'd dare to say if not all but most young people have some sort of media player, be an ipod, a zune, a generic mp3 player, portable cd player or any other type.

I don't see the reason to invest into a phone just because its an ipod and a phone at the same time. I guess I'm just getting old at the age of 29 and am seeing that a practical item that does all that I need it to do is better than a extravagent item that doesn't fufill my needs (as a buissness person) without having to do heavy modifications (in the form of downloading apps).
    Look there is nothing wrong with that, we were all teens once. What is wrong with having a little fun every now and then. Not everything is so serious. You also forget that the iphone is used by a lot of business people and they seem to be satisified with it:

J.D. Power: iPhone tops in customer satisfaction

The likes of Cisco and Oracle wouldn't be involved with the iphone if it was just some useless toy that many here want people to believe it. Seems Apple is able to balance the best of both worlds: business and consumer side. Sure it may not be as business focused as the blackberry, it doesn't seem to be and recently we have seen RIM focus on the consumer side.

And remember that the Iphone gets tons of advertisement targeting teens while I have yet to see comercials (besides verison's lame attempt to compeat the storm with att iphone) from BB to show off what it can or can't do. After all the average person that buys a BB knows what he or she is getting into and knows why they buy it.
    Ain't nothing wrong with that. You also forget that the ipod touch runs the iphone OS and appeals to a lot of young people so Apple has to cater to them too, nothing wrong with that, we were all young at once.

Oh and btw in the graph you pointed out it says that they surveyed aprox. 5000 people but it doesn't say how many people of each type. For all we know they could have asked 100 iphone users and 1000 BB users.
    Why would they do that, they are a research company used by top companies to get analysis on consumer buying demographics, etc. I doubt these companies would be using them if they were doing their surveys like that. The JD Power survey with business people also had the iphone on top, I guess they were also biased.

Also posted in that link is another graph that show the browser usage opera mini vrs safari mobile. But it too doesn't take into account the 13million ipod touches that browse the net with the same browser.
    The majority of the hits are coming from iphones, they come with data plans. With the ipod touch you always need to find a wifi spot. Some of them even seperate the iphone and ipod touch and even with that iphone still comes on top.

I would like to see a graph where they ask the same amount of users of iphone as bb users how satisfied they are with their phone.
    So I guess both surveys were biased. I mean in both surveys they asked more blackberry users than iphone users, therefore it's biased, LOL.

Oh and one last item before I drop the subject. Iphone is 2 years old and has 17million sold. How many black berries where sold durring its first 2 years or durring the same past 2 years that the iphone has been out? Those are the numbers we should be comparing and not the fact that an older company has sold 50 million units and a younger company has sold
    I don't know how many blackberries were sold in it's first 2 years. All I know is according to Wikipedia, RIM has been selling blackberries for 10 years. Apple in less than 2 has sold over 17 million iphones, if you add in ipod touches it shoots up to 30 million, but yet people on this site continue to bash them. Keep on hating. It's funny when you go to the mobile forums from Blackberry, to Palm, to Windows Mobile all they do is talk about iphone, this, iphone that, seems the more successful you get the more haters you attract.
    04-09-09 05:58 PM
    holy cow, thats alot. Does anyone know how many storms have been sold?
    04-09-09 06:20 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD