Because they obviously have no freaking idea!
    RIM was once worth 80 billion, now only worth 15... Still a heck of a lot of money, but seemingly small compared with Apple having an estimate value of 223 billion.
    what is RIM doing wrong.... oh right, blackberry's aren't as fun as iPhones or Android devices. I have a 9700, but I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab. To be frank, the tab is just funner to play with. Way more apps, and more customizable. My 9700 with OS 6, not so much.
    Yeah, I think the Torch 2 is going to be cool. and I plan on upgrading soon. But what about others?
    I go to the gym, everyone there is using an iPhone. I am the only one with a Blackberry. Literally.
    Blackberry is trying to overcome the stigma they are business phones, but their marketing department should be fired as they are not doing a good job.
    RIM needs to show that Blackberrys can be FUN to use to appeal to the consumer. The best way to do this, is to show it in their Ads. They tried this approach when they were marketing the Torch, but they were showing how helpful the Torch is. Not so much how much fun it is.
    Look at the new BlackBerrys! They have this! They have that! They have the other thing. And the end user says "who cares?"
    The girl next store really does not care if the Bold 9900 has a gyroscope or not. She wants to have fun with her phone. She wants more apps, she wants HER Blackberry, not RIMS Blackberry.
    There are those who will always go to a Blackberry no matter what. Me, the reason is BBM. All my friends use it. But one by one, they are jumping on the iPhone wagon.
    So please RIM, show people Blackberrys can be fun! Show the average user they want to use them, and they will have fun on them

Remember TIVO? Cool product, I agree. But the same thing happened to TIVO thats happening to RIM.
    06-26-11 05:26 AM
    RIM is trying to keep their roots and make consumers happy too. Not so easy to please everyone. You can have fun with your bb just not as much as with other devices. I think they are moving in this direction with QNX, hope so anyway.
    06-26-11 06:06 AM
    Blackberrys are business phones. The consumer market is where RIM went wrong venturing into. Initially it worked, but the lack of innovation and realization that the consumers market wants an all in one device killed RIM's chances in the consumer market. They should have stayed with their bread and butter, business.
    06-26-11 06:09 AM
    Too bad that won't even work when apple and android are making their way into business also. Are you saying that apple and android should stick to the consumer market?
    06-26-11 06:12 AM
    blackberry will be hurt more with win7, iOS and android venturing into the business market far more than those other 3 platforms trying to gaining some business users and failing. They will still remain very strong in consumer sales so even if they dont touch the business sector they are still just fine. There is no downside for them really
    06-26-11 06:17 AM
    blackberry will be hurt more with win7, iOS and android venturing into the business market far more than those other 3 platforms gaining some business users. They will still remain very strong in consumer sales so even if they dont touch the business sector they are still just fine
    Agree, that is why bb needs to get consumers on board or they probably will die or at least be at the bottom of the barrel. I still prefer their OS but that's just me and what I like.
    06-26-11 06:19 AM
    The consumer market is not just one, there's many segments to it and blackberry has found a niche with teenagers, especially teenage girls. In uk they're going mad for it and bbm.

A friend posted on facebook a few weeks ago that she got her girls (10 and 12) blackberrys 9300. Seems like you have to be on bbm oe you're left out this days.

It makes sense for them and parents, other bbm users that turn nasty can be completely blocked for good and you never give your number away or email address.

It's safe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-11 06:44 AM
    I have a 9700, but I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab. To be frank, the tab is just funner to play with. Way more apps, and more customizable. My 9700 with OS 6, not so much.
    So you are comparing a tablet with a smartphone? That is a fundamental flaw in your comparison. Most android tablets I have picked up simply feel like a large cell phone that cant make calls although I dont have any experience with the new gingerbread version so I cant speak to that. The Xoom for example is identical to my old Droid 2 that I abandoned after 30 days. Just bigger.

While I think its accurate to say that RIM has lost the market edge in the US - BB's are still used in the majority in a lot of other countries. It just happens that this country is enamored with bright shiny stuff and allows that to dictate what they need, kind of like a crow. If BB's OS was re-designed with big, cartooney buttons - child like sounds - and bright colorful screens it would likely regain a bunch of lost market ground due to the short attention span and stupidity of the majority of the people in this country. And yes - I have contempt for humanity as to keep some quasi-clever individual from making a not so clever observation.

It truly is a shame in my opinion when a company makes a solid phone and is decimated by stupid but I guess that is the market now. People would rather have bright, big buttons and angry birds than a stable, secure functional phone.
    06-26-11 08:20 AM
    Not everyone who owns a cell phone has to be a serious consumer. To call Americans stupid because they like "shiny buttons" is ignoring what people want, a phone that can be business and fun. There is nothing wrong with that. True that BB is still king in some other countries but that could change too. You can't ignore change, you have to accept it and find a niche. I believe they are trying to do that, just a bit bit slowly.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-26-11 09:45 AM
    So you are comparing a tablet with a smartphone? That is a fundamental flaw in your comparison. Most android tablets I have picked up simply feel like a large cell phone that cant make calls although I dont have any experience with the new gingerbread version so I cant speak to that. The Xoom for example is identical to my old Droid 2 that I abandoned after 30 days. Just bigger.

While I think its accurate to say that RIM has lost the market edge in the US - BB's are still used in the majority in a lot of other countries. It just happens that this country is enamored with bright shiny stuff and allows that to dictate what they need, kind of like a crow. If BB's OS was re-designed with big, cartooney buttons - child like sounds - and bright colorful screens it would likely regain a bunch of lost market ground due to the short attention span and stupidity of the majority of the people in this country. And yes - I have contempt for humanity as to keep some quasi-clever individual from making a not so clever observation.

It truly is a shame in my opinion when a company makes a solid phone and is decimated by stupid but I guess that is the market now. People would rather have bright, big buttons and angry birds than a stable, secure functional phone.
    Yet you own a Playbook which is a Blackberry without phone capability. Pot, kettle, black.
    06-26-11 10:05 AM
  11. T
    To call Americans stupid because they like "shiny buttons" is ignoring what people want, a phone that can be business and fun.
    Not necessarily. It speaks more as to why people find that stuff "cool" or "fun" and what they would give up for that (e.g. security, stability, etc.). It speaks as to priorities and at what cost.

06-26-11 10:25 AM
    As a consumer (BIS) user I always felt the RIM needs to have two separate marketing groups, one for their existing corporate (BES) customers and another for the consumer group.

Each group has different wants and needs. The corporate wants are set by the IT people and consumer decides for himself.
    06-26-11 10:33 AM
    Remember TIVO? Cool product, I agree. But the same thing happened to TIVO thats happening to RIM.
    Not quite the same. Tivo is a *high end* product that people are simply not willing to pay for since lots of features are available in other devices at lower prices. Niche product now.

If anything RIM is slipping out of the high end in terms of specs and features. Though in security they are still un-matched.
    06-26-11 10:41 AM
    It just happens that this country is enamored with bright shiny stuff and allows that to dictate what they need, kind of like a crow. If BB's OS was re-designed with big, cartooney buttons - child like sounds - and bright colorful screens it would likely regain a bunch of lost market ground due to the short attention span and stupidity of the majority of the people in this country.
    I would just point out that people weren't any smarter pre-2009, when RIM was leading the North American market in quarterly smartphone sales. The only difference is that the manufacturer of the "bright shiny stuff" of choice has changed. This is due in part to the fact that RIM's competition is no longer as inept as Palm or Windows Mobile.
    06-26-11 10:58 AM
    I would just point out that people weren't any smarter pre-2009, when RIM was leading the North American market in quarterly smartphone sales. The only difference is that the manufacturer of the "bright shiny stuff" of choice has changed. This is due in part to the fact that RIM's competition is no longer as inept as Palm or Windows Mobile.
    You might also add better financed. Apple and Google put a lot more money behind their products.
    06-26-11 11:09 AM
    Yet you own a Playbook which is a Blackberry without phone capability. Pot, kettle, black.
    But yet the PB does not function like a BB without a phone. The OS isn't even the same where as with the galaxy it is ( or used to be). Good job at completely missing the point.

06-26-11 12:14 PM
    This is due in part to the fact that RIM's competition is no longer as inept as Palm or Windows Mobile.
    You hit the nail on the head Eco 101, my first BB was a 7290, it was a much better product than either of those two.
    06-28-11 04:35 AM
    The OP is right! I went out for drinks with 12 people on saturday, all of which have blackberries except 2 with iphone 4's. We had a convo about smartphones and unfortunatly 6 of the 10 people with blackberries said they cant wait for the next iphone and want to get rid of their "boring" blackberry. I admit RIM needs to up the ante here... Make the damn phone fun. Basically all they need is games and a better App store.
    06-28-11 04:58 AM
    The majority of the US population doesn't want to pay 90 bucks for a s****y browser experience. Simple as that! Rim is ripping people off on a daily basis. Selling outdated hardware for todays money. and people wonder why nobody gives two s***s about their phones. Cause they don't care about YOU! Storm owners? Stuck on OS 5.. unacceptable. Anybody currently with a bb.. tough luck pay us for outdated hardware if you want 7. Then buy the phone you SHOULD be buying next year.. thanks for the money. Don't worry.. we won't put a penny into marketing.. SMH.

Posted from my ANDROID at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by West Coast Flavor; 06-28-11 at 06:05 AM.
    06-28-11 06:01 AM
    The majority of the US population doesn't want to pay 90 bucks for a s****y browser experience. Simple as that! Rim is ripping people off on a daily basis. Selling outdated hardware for todays money. and people wonder why nobody gives two s***s about their phones. Cause they don't care about YOU! Storm owners? Stuck on OS 5.. unacceptable. Anybody currently with a bb.. tough luck pay us for outdated hardware if you want 7. Then buy the phone you SHOULD be buying next year.. thanks for the money. Don't worry.. we won't put a penny into marketing.. SMH.

Posted from my ANDROID at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Where is this massively outdated hardware? My 9650 does everything I need it to do and fast. I only wish it had a slightly larger screen -but the new bold is coming I rarely have problems with my browser.

Honestly - hardware may matter in desktop computers when you are doing resource intensive work - but does a phone really need 2 processors banging away at angry birds and concurrently streaming a movie?
    06-28-11 06:15 AM
    Where is this massively outdated hardware? My 9650 does everything I need it to do and fast. I only wish it had a slightly larger screen -but the new bold is coming I rarely have problems with my browser.

Honestly - hardware may matter in desktop computers when you are doing resource intensive work - but does a phone really need 2 processors banging away at angry birds and concurrently streaming a movie?
    great, massively outdated hardware works for you. I am pretty sure you are in the minority and demand more. RIM finally realized that too and have now upped the specs and the new phones blow your bold out of the water. And no it doesnt take due core to run angry birds but it does require some good processing power to run flash and HD movies. All of which RIM is lacking right now. So to enter to enter todays smartphone world RIM has and did update the hardware. And so far I dont see many people saying no go back to crappy specs that have spinning clocks popping up reminding them of it.
    06-28-11 10:36 AM
    great, massively outdated hardware works for you. I am pretty sure you are in the minority and demand more. RIM finally realized that too and have now upped the specs and the new phones blow your bold out of the water. And no it doesnt take due core to run angry birds but it does require some good processing power to run flash and HD movies. All of which RIM is lacking right now. So to enter to enter todays smartphone world RIM has and did update the hardware. And so far I dont see many people saying no go back to crappy specs that have spinning clocks popping up reminding them of it.
    RIM's real problem isn't hardware. It's the software and not just the software that runs on the phone.
    06-28-11 11:05 AM

The "Does a phone really need.." question really does not apply anymore. The only reason the term "smartphone" is even used anymore is because of from what the device had originally evolved. Today first and foremost, they're mobile computing devices that provide an enormous amount of services, with the ability to use it as a phone arguably being the most insignificant feature.

Along that line... if you were to ask "Would a mobile computing platform benefit from multiple processing power and provide yet more services?" Then the answer would be "Yes".
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-28-11 at 11:10 AM.
    06-28-11 11:06 AM
    From browsing these forums for some times now, I've realized people in here place too much emphasis on marketing alone. Now, I don't mean that as in marketing isn't very important because it really is. However, you first need a product that will truly appeal to the general consumer when they have it in their hands and make that appeal last. If that appeal doesn't last then your product will be one and done in that consumer's mind and it will hurt your brand more than the one sale you managed from them because of "great marketing."

People here really think Apple doesn't make great products and that it's their marketing alone that carried them. As if somehow their products don't meet the demands of the general consumer. I think this sentiment allows people to believe that BB is actually a superior product being held down only by something that doesn't have anything to do with the actual performance of the product.

Say for instance RIM somehow manages an impeccable marketing campaign for their current BBs and people start buying left and right. Eventually these people would realize they don't have the apps featured on other phones, can't see an entire email all the time, they have to do battery pulls after a few months, they can't easily buy music straight from their device, etc. All things a general non-business oriented consumer cares about. Or maybe even a business consumer since it is a smartphone and should be able to handle both business and personal needs well. The marketing is a compliment to the product and without the exceptional product exceptional marketing isn't going to generate continuous sales. Be logical, people.
    Last edited by HeezyBear; 06-28-11 at 12:39 PM.
    06-28-11 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD