RIM, on the other hand, can't afford to give anything away, and their business model (and closed architecture - which I like) can't give anything away.
    They've been giving away quite a lot of stuff lately, so that doesn't really make much sense (moreso than ever before)...
    07-02-12 05:38 PM
    free advice and definitely worth the price
    07-02-12 05:38 PM
    A text book case... so, hurry up with that priest? Is that what the doctor says in the ER room? I hope I never go to that particular doctor's O.R. I'd rather the doctor fight for my life, even if I'm coughing up the last bits of my lungs. I'm hoping RIM continues to fight for its life. I like their products and hope to be able to continue service with them for a long time. Yes, things look bad, very bad, but I'd rather root for them to pull through just like I would root for someone to pull through a big surgery. I don't know anything about medical/business procedures, but I know enough to want the best for those going through said medical/business procdures.
    Just so you know the difference between fighting a terminal disease for your life, and pretending like you are just a little under the weather. By the way, they call it a terminal disease for a reason.

People keep describing RIM's situation as difficult, but not impossible, as if all they need to do is put on their big girl panties and work hard for a few months to turn this ship around. That is patently absurd! RIM is way past sweat equity. They need a miracle. They need several, large, angel investors who don't mind bleeding a lot of money for a long time with nerves of steel.

RIM is a publicly owned company. The owners are angry. They are already calling for the head of the Chief and half the board. Even if RIM can get the first phone out in less than 9 months, it will be quite a bit longer before it sees a profit, let alone, a market shift. It will cost quite a bit of money that they do not have to get there. This is not a game that just needs a good pep rally for the team.

Anyone who thinks $2B is sufficient resources to get by, simply does not understand what is going on.
    mapsonburt and JeepBB like this.
    07-02-12 05:40 PM
    And if you ran RIM, by this time next year they would be in the same shape as Palm is today.
    There headed that direction anyway, I like the OPs idea could restore faith for some people
    07-02-12 05:41 PM
    Dr. your patient doesn't need anymore of that sweet, cough syrup you keep feeding him. He's coughing up blood. That's emphysema with a side order of inoperable lung cancer. Never mind the embolism. He doesn't need a pep talk; he needs an oncologist and a priest, stat! In fact, nevermind the oncologist.
    Yup, you just described apple back when. No hope, break the company into pieces and sell off the assets. Wrong then, wrong now.
    07-02-12 05:43 PM
    Yup, you just described apple back when. No hope, break the company into pieces and sell off the assets. Wrong then, wrong now.

RIM has completely different problems than Apple did.

Apple had too many products. The large number of products led to cost duplication and ultimately unprofitably. Jobs drastically cut the number of skus to make the existing skus profitable.

RIM's problem is that it does not have competitive products, is losing market share, and the product that is in the pipeline will be released around 18 months from the time it was promised.

Plus, Jobs was wise enough to see that an investment from a rival was a good idea even though most Apple people hated the idea. RIM remains content to go it alone.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    07-02-12 05:52 PM
    Just so you know the difference between fighting a terminal disease for your life, and pretending like you are just a little under the weather. By the way, they call it a terminal disease for a reason.

People keep describing RIM's situation as difficult, but not impossible, as if all they need to do is put on their big girl panties and work hard for a few months to turn this ship around. That is patently absurd! RIM is way past sweat equity. They need a miracle. They need several, large, angel investors who don't mind bleeding a lot of money for a long time with nerves of steel.

RIM is a publicly owned company. The owners are angry. They are already calling for the head of the Chief and half the board. Even if RIM can get the first phone out in less than 9 months, it will be quite a bit longer before it sees a profit, let alone, a market shift. It will cost quite a bit of money that they do not have to get there. This is not a game that just needs a good pep rally for the team.

Anyone who thinks $2B is sufficient resources to get by, simply does not understand what is going on.
    Facts are facts, but reasonable people differ on what they mean. That is why we play the game. Your example, though colorful and full of drama, is not the only possible destiny for RIM. They have substantial cash, no debt, ongoing hardware and service revenue, and a strategy to implement. Lots of cards yet to be played. Please do not just disparage people who disagree with your opinions as "simply do not understand". We understand the factsnas they are, but see another path forward.
    Regards.
    07-02-12 05:54 PM
    Things are bad. RIM is as beat up as it can be. It has no credibility. No one thinks it can come back. It is a desperate situation.

If I ran RIM, I would take a page from Cortez's handbook and burn my ships. When Cortez set out to conquer the Aztec empire, legend has it that he had his troops go ashore and then burned the ships. Why? This showed that there was no turning back. Either Cortez and his men would be successful or they would all die. There was no going back.

If I ran RIM, I would publicly announce a BB10 release date. I would advertise it. I would stake my reputation and my company's reputation on it. I would give employees stock options contingent on meeting that deadline. I would promise termination if that deadline was not met. I would resign if that deadline was not met.

We cannot have another RIM delay and the same kind of general deadline. Pick a date and stick to it, come or high water. Motivate the entire company to succeed and punish everyone if you fail!
    While that makes for a nice story AFTER the fact that Cortez won there would have been a whole different viewpoint if Cortez had got his a$$ kicked by the Aztecs and upon retreating found embers instead of his ships. The first to kick his nuts in would have been his own men and history would have judged him to be the biggest moron who walked this Earth. Success makes stupidity seem to be a winning strategy.
    There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity. Cortez's stupidity is seen as bravery only because he won.
    RIM will be ready when they are ready. If they don't bring BB10 in time for market acceptability then they are dead. The market might even accept a 4th Quarter 2013 date, all the naysayers and stock analysts don't really know what works in a market. But that's besides the point.
    By announcing a date and staking personal reputations like Cortez did would be shooting oneself in the foot. Simply because once the announcement is made and they don't make that deadline, the market would definitely kill them and hey the ships are burnt anyway so there's no going back.
    Discretion is the better part of valour.
    07-02-12 05:59 PM
    I don't know how many more times you need to use the Apple analogy but if that's all the hope you have left, so be it.
    07-02-12 06:00 PM
    RIM has completely different problems than Apple did.

Apple had too many products. The large number of products led to cost duplication and ultimately unprofitably. Jobs drastically cut the number of skus to make the existing skus profitable.

RIM's problem is that it does not have competitive products, is losing market share, and the product that is in the pipeline will be released around 18 months from the time it was promised.

Plus, Jobs was wise enough to see that an investment from a rival was a good idea even though most Apple people hated the idea. RIM remains content to go it alone.
    Different specifics, of course. Same result, a company on the ropes. Only RIM is not broke. Jobs was just lucky MS had to give them money to avoid being seen as a monopoly. Jobs was not smart, he was lucky and then a tyrant.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    07-02-12 06:01 PM
    I have to disagree. As much as I dislike Apple, Jobs was brilliant.

And RIM is in far worse shape than Apple was.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    07-02-12 06:24 PM
    Different specifics, of course. Same result, a company on the ropes. Only RIM is not broke. Jobs was just lucky MS had to give them money to avoid being seen as a monopoly. Jobs was not smart, he was lucky and then a tyrant.
    It was not about monopoly. Microsoft stole Apple's QuickTime source code.

Stop the lies! The day that Microsoft 'saved' Apple | ZDNet
    07-02-12 06:38 PM
    I would like to believe that any CEO worth anything would avoid aligning themselves with the mindset of one of history's worst mass murderers. Then again, it's always better to know who is who beforehand, so carry on, by all means.
    07-02-12 07:48 PM
    I would like to believe that any CEO worth anything would avoid aligning themselves with the mindset of one of history's worst mass murderers. Then again, it's always better to know who is who beforehand, so carry on, by all means.
    Pardon? .
    07-02-12 07:57 PM
    Well that was brilliant...or something....
    07-02-12 07:58 PM
    Stewart you're excused. What did you do?
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    07-02-12 07:58 PM
    So......you're saying Thor is a mass murderer?
    07-02-12 08:19 PM
    So......you're saying Thor is a mass murderer?

Dangnabitt I missed that.....
    07-02-12 08:23 PM

Dangnabitt I missed that.....
    I don't believe that Heins has declared thermonuclear war on a competitor, like another wellknown CEO, RIP.
    07-02-12 08:35 PM
    Things are bad. RIM is as beat up as it can be. It has no credibility. No one thinks it can come back. It is a desperate situation.

If I ran RIM, I would take a page from Cortez's handbook and burn my ships. When Cortez set out to conquer the Aztec empire, legend has it that he had his troops go ashore and then burned the ships. Why? This showed that there was no turning back. Either Cortez and his men would be successful or they would all die. There was no going back.

If I ran RIM, I would publicly announce a BB10 release date. I would advertise it. I would stake my reputation and my company's reputation on it. I would give employees stock options contingent on meeting that deadline. I would promise termination if that deadline was not met. I would resign if that deadline was not met.

We cannot have another RIM delay and the same kind of general deadline. Pick a date and stick to it, come or high water. Motivate the entire company to succeed and punish everyone if you fail!
    I support this 100%
    07-02-12 08:58 PM
    This presupposes that the problem is with the developers. From everything I've seen, kts about non-existent project management skills. Nine women can't make a baby in a month. You can't just say "make it so" and wish the problem away. RIM's own management team has been doing this for years. You need to have a detailed project plan with firm requirements and critical dependencies and milestones laid in concrete. Now that the project is all over the floor (as this one obviously is), you can't just say work harder... You need to back up to fix it... But that takes time... And time is the one thing RIM has run out of. Sadly these things were all true in Storm 1.
    07-02-12 10:23 PM

Great idea! We should start a massive twitter campaign with #burnyourships hashtag!
    07-02-12 11:22 PM
    Honestly i just think if RIM can partner up with google and get android/BB OS... ohhh man just imagine the possibilities!
    07-02-12 11:46 PM
    Rim should name their next phone the Aztec.
    07-03-12 01:33 AM
    But the problem is RIM isn't DOING...

RIM has used about every excuse possible for delaying BB10. Not saying it won't be great or that the company has no hope. Just that based solely on their track record over the last four years.... there is really no reason to expect the outcome not to be BAD.
    No the problem is that RIM is not DELIVERING on time.
    Other statements, until we get something tangible, is nothing but speculations, talking and self-promotion or incompetence. I speculate a lot ...
    voyager84 likes this.
    07-03-12 02:09 AM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD