I think it is funny that Thor changed the name of the company. Renaming the company showed the one track mindset of the company at the time. John chen is turning the company around and has tried to diversify the company away from just the hardware.

To me I feel the name RIM now reflects more of what BlackBerry is now than ever before, but he can't go back now.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 07:41 AM
    Yes, but at the time it was meant to display how committed they were to launching this new platform.

In retrospect it was sort of an 'all on red' type of gamble...

Posted via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    05-31-15 07:57 AM
    I agree RIM branding is where it began and where it should have remained... My fondest memory of the BlackBerry legacy actually beginning with RIM branded pagers... even then the keyboards were perfection... My RIM-900 Inter@ctive pager started my lust... Research in Motion has a badass ring to it that implies and encompasses so much more, where as BlackBerry is only a portion of that relic. (albeit a HUGE chunk of their success and fame once they left the corporate world and expanded into everyday consumers, but still RIM was the heart behind the hardware...)

I can understand the point RE: showing their dedication to the BlackBerry revival, but at the same time it killed off a huge part of the brand's heritage and historical poignancy... Removing the core while attempting embellish the shell is ALWAYS a bad idea IMO. Almost implies they were trying to run away from their roots as opposed to embracing and committing to their new endeavors. Essentially had the opposite affect than intended, or at least for me that is the POV I have on this topic... A BlackBerry by any other name IS still a BlackBerry, but sometimes so much is lost in translation that altering a name alters the perception of a product in undesirable ways... RIM didn't make or break the brand, but something feels wrong about just ditching it as the company did... It was a commercialized strategy that ultimately was a moot cause...

Posted via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    05-31-15 10:06 AM