Now that Google is "banning" Windows from their employees' computers, as a loyal "PC", I'm starting to think about phasing out Google apps on my PC and BlackBerry. Some of it will be easy; other things will be hard.

On my PC, I'll try Bing and MapQuest.

On my BlackBerry, it will be harder. I never tried the Bing app, and Google Maps is probably much better than BlackBerry Maps.

Your thoughts?
    06-03-10 10:20 AM
    Are you a Google employee?
    06-03-10 10:22 AM
    No. I want to find suitable substitutes for Google products now that Google is becoming the new "Evil Empire".
    06-03-10 10:40 AM
    Is Google evil for wanting a more secure computing environment than Windows has historically provided?

"Google has seen enough of Microsoft's Windows operating system, suspending internal use of the OS amid security concerns related to the attack on its network late last year, according to a report."
    06-03-10 10:48 AM
    You're need to leave google is really childish.

Although I'm beginning to hate them myself, but not for the same reasons.

Their hoarding of information is unsettling.

I'm interested to see the turn out of the investigation in Germany.
    06-03-10 10:49 AM
    You're need to leave google is really childish.
    Excuse me??? What is childish here?
    06-03-10 11:04 AM
    Now that Google is "banning" Windows from their employees' computers, as a loyal "PC", I'm starting to think about phasing out Google apps on my PC and BlackBerry. Some of it will be easy; other things will be hard.
    This is.

Of all the reasons to leave google, this is the one that I find most laughable.
    06-03-10 11:09 AM
    This is.

Of all the reasons to leave google, this is the one that I find most laughable.
    This whole pointless thread has made me laugh!
    Thanks OP.
    06-03-10 11:13 AM
    I may have other concerns, too. But this most recent development has really got me thinking about it.
    06-03-10 11:16 AM
    This whole pointless thread has made me laugh!
    Thanks OP.
    Please note that we are in the Off-Topic Discussion forum.
    06-03-10 11:17 AM
    this belongs in the 'cutting off nose to spite ones face' forum
    06-03-10 11:18 AM
    I may have other concerns, too. But this most recent development has really got me thinking about it.
    You may have other concerns? What are they? Surely they are better than the ones we've been given.

Pointless, doesn't equate to being off topic.

We can be off topic and still have a point.

OP, do you belong to PETA too?
    06-03-10 11:20 AM
    Good grief.

for WHATEVER reason, I am looking for alternatives to Google products.
    06-03-10 11:27 AM
    WHAT?! I had no idea!!

Good grief.

for WHATEVER reason, I am looking for alternatives to Google products.
    Bing and mapquest...

*that was easy!*
    06-03-10 11:29 AM

On my PC, I'll try Bing and MapQuest.

On my BlackBerry, it will be harder. I never tried the Bing app, and Google Maps is probably much better than BlackBerry Maps.

Your thoughts?
    Well if google maps is better than blackberry maps, and you refuse to use google maps, then just buy a tomtom.

Or you can just get an iPhone so you won't have to deal with a limited selection of apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 11:34 AM
    Use Bing, or Yahoo. If other apps can't replace Google apps, then so be it.
    Just continue your "stand." Funny that you find Google to be the new evil empire.
    I'm almost sure you use Windows. The same company that would threaten
    computer makers that if Internet Explorer wasn't the only browser on the PC out
    of the box and it was accompanied by Netscape, then they couldn't even come
    pre-installed with Windows at all.
    06-03-10 02:10 PM
    Bing and Google are actually the same thing, Bing uses Google for its page ranking.

A while ago Microsoft admitted it lost against Google in the search engine market, but it wasn't widely published. Turns out they just couldn't do what Google does. Microsoft has said it will tailor Bing to be more or less a search engine tailored for travel needs and the like.

And no, I'm not joking. This has really happened.
    06-03-10 03:36 PM
    For those late to the party (like me) this is an article on the security issue:

FT.com / Technology - Google ditches Windows on security concerns
    06-03-10 04:06 PM
    Here's something I should have said earlier. I am concerned that Google will neglect product development for Windows. So I'd rather support, in my own little way, non-Google products for Windows. I intend to remain "a PC."

I have also worried about how much information Google collects on everything we do. I have not had as much of a concern with Microsoft. Yes, I know they have been called "the evil empire", but the way Google is into absolutely everything is becoming a red flag to me.
    06-03-10 04:38 PM
    Yes, I know they have been called "the evil empire", but the way Google is into absolutely everything is becoming a red flag to me.
    My good man, everything you just said just mirrored Microsoft of the 90's.
    06-03-10 04:53 PM
    To some degree that's true, but it was more about collecting more money than collecting more data.
    06-03-10 04:58 PM
    Going down this road is pointless though, you are worried about nothing. Also some of your points make no sense like worrying about Windows development as it relates to searches, their online services, etc. It's all web based so it isn't really a valid concern.

So I am curious, what Windows specific Google applications do you actually use?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 06:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD