Nowadays, most of the protected video and music downloaded online like Windows Media Player iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, Bearshare , Spiral Frog are all DRM files.

What is DRM? Why do we remove DRM from windows WMV and WMA?
    DRM (Digital Rights Management) - The anti consumer copy protection that prevents you from using music or movies in a way that suits you.
    For example, if a DRM WMA or DRM WMV you downloaded from WMP(windows media player) that has windows DRM, you can only play it back on a compatible device, so if every piece of music had windows DRM on it you would need to buy the same track on CD to listen in your CD player or car, as an iTunes download to play on your iPod, as a ms store download to play on your Zune etc, but since you paid for it once you shouldn’t be forced to pay for it again and again and again, remove windows DRM and you can play it on your phone, iPod, Zune, PSP, CD player, pc, and anything else that you can listen to music on.

How to remove DRM from windows WMV and WMA?
    I got a few methods listed below:
    1. Burn and rip
    Actually, there is a common free method to remove DRM WMV and DRM WMA with 2 steps, Step 1 Burn the DRM WMA to a CD or DRM WMV to a DVD.
    Step 2 Rip the DRM WMA and DRM WMV off to your computer, then the DRM should be removed from the WMA and WMV files.
    But it’s not very convenient and may wear out your CR-ROM, and windows media player can only burn and rip the DRM WMA and DRM WMV (or you will need DVD copy and DVD ripper for other formats).

2. Re-record
    One of the most common and simple technology is recording the DRM WMA and DRM WMV then use an ordinary converter to convert the recorded and unprotected files. Because this technology is easy to realized and easy to support more DRM formats besides DRM WMA and DRM WMV it is welcomed by most of the DRM converters like the SoundTaxi, NoteBurner, etc.
    But there are some disadvantages for those programs.
    1. The conversion speed won’t get much improvement due to the long recording process.
    2. Much audio and video quality could be lost during the recording process.

3. Hook
    Hook is another new and more complicated technology which can be used to remove Windows DRM. Comparing with Re-recording software, these sorts of programs have much higher conversion speed, but it’s hard to make it support some DRM formats with new and lofty encryption techniques.
    And as far as I know, Daniusoft was one of its supporters. After giving a test for some free trials I found it is convenient to remove DRM WMV and DRM WMA files with Digital Music Converter, and it also can extract audio from DRM WMV files and supports other unprotected formats conversion like AAC, AC3, WAV, M4A, M4b, MP3, etc.

Conversion steps:
    1. Add DRM WMV , DRM WMA and other unprotected files.
    2. Choose the output format you need
    3. Press the “Start” button, enter the license.

Ok, Hope you can get some useful resources from this article (How to remove DRM WMV and DRM WMA should not annoy you anymore). If you have any suggestion or want to do some modification please feel free to contact me (bdylan4@gmail.com).
    Remove DRM from your favorite music and videos to release you music life.
    Have Fun.

If you know other more efficient methods please feel free to list below.
    Look forward to your sharing.

Last edited by CrayDeng; 04-26-08 at 02:51 AM.
    04-16-08 04:54 AM
    Good ideea with this guide of yours.I never tried daniusoft because I've been using Tunebite for quite a long time and I'm satisfied with the one I'm using.Btw,I'm not much of a fan of the burn and rip method, it's a kind of a waste of cd's and time, and not to mention the wearing out the cd rom.I find it easier to use a software for this job.Cheers bro.
    04-17-08 03:23 AM
    Thx, hope you can get useful info from it.
    04-26-08 02:53 AM
    Does it support Rhapsody music?
    I got a bunch of wma files from it, but can't play them with my iPod.
    05-07-08 12:58 AM
    Yes,I have used it on Rhapsody and Napster music files,think it should be used on others as well.
    And you can use the batch conversion function to convert you large number of music files.

05-13-08 01:02 AM
    Thanks so much
    Now I have got all my music on iPod.
    It's so exciting.
    05-21-08 03:03 AM
    Melodycan allows to convert WMA files (Windows Media Audio) from Napster To Go, Rhapsody and Yahoo Music store; convert M4P to MP3 (MPEG4-AAC Audio) taken from iTunes store; convert RAX files (Real Audio) from Rhapsody; convert ATRAC (Sony's proprietary compressed music formats) purchased from Sony CONNECT Music Store; convert AA audio books from Audible store and a couple of other formats.
    05-21-08 06:39 AM
    I recommended this music converter to my friend but he said it can be installed in Vista OS,

It's so regrettable. Any suggestion?
    05-28-08 02:36 AM
    You mean Digital Music Converter can't be installed in Vista OS?
    I'm using the XP, but I found the newest version of WMA to MP3 Converter is compatible with Vista OS on their site, and

the function are similar as Digital Music Converter, so you can have a try.
    Hope it helps
    06-03-08 02:48 AM
    Well, The newest Vista version of Digital Music Converter had been upgraded a few days ago .
    And my friend installed it on his Vista OS.

Thanks for you suggestion.
    06-12-08 01:09 AM
    May I ask a question?

Is there a DRM converter can remove DRM from videos such as Zune WMV and iTunes M4V?
    06-19-08 03:24 AM
    Yes, the newest Daniusoft Media Converter Pro Supports Zune WMV and iTunes M4V formats, I got the news from the sales man that all DMC Pro users can get a free upgrade after it is released this week.
    06-25-08 06:45 AM
    Daninusoft Media Converter Pro which can remove iTunes DRM with its newest version ( The reason I list it here is the newest version has modified its two disadvantages compare with the former one:

1. Be compatible with Vista OS.
    2. Supports all iTunes DRM files.

And with its other features:
    1. Remove Windows media DRM WMA, WMV.
    2. High conversion speed.
    3. Supports many other popular standard video and audio files.
    4. Friendly-use interface.

It could be a good choice for DRM remove and Media conversion.
    07-04-08 01:49 AM
    Thanks for share, the modification is really important.
    07-10-08 04:08 AM
    Yes, I have to say the DRM music conversion speed is higher in XP than Vista after I change my OS, and I got the reason after contacting their support, for they are using different technology to remove DRM in XP and Vista, the speed is a bit slower in Vista.

And anyway it's a nice program, I almost can use it for all my media conversion.
    07-17-08 04:08 AM
    Can anybody suggest me a DRM converter which can also convert standard audio and video files, I don't want to purchase too much such stuff,I just want to buy an all-in-one.
    07-28-08 03:16 AM
    Try Daniusoft Media Converter Pro, it's a DRM converter which also supports most of the popular video and audio files.
    08-04-08 03:52 AM
    Ok, this information is useful, thanks.
    08-18-08 03:49 AM
    Could any one suggest a totally free music store which I can download free music unlimitedly.
    09-11-08 08:30 PM
    Have you ever tried Aimersoft BlackBerry media Converter, you can google it~~
    I found it very nice
    10-20-08 03:16 AM
    The following steps will allow you to convert WMV to MPEG/MPG for like playback in QuickTime, Apple TV, iPod, for editing in iMovie, Final Cut Pro, or for embedded in Powerpoint etc.
    1.Download and install WMV Video Converter for Mac
    Download iSkysoft professional WMV to MPEG Mac WMV Converter, double click the .dmg image to install it.
    2.Load WMV files to MPEG/MPG Video Converter
    Drag & drop WMV files to the program. Or go to "File" menu, choose "Add Video/Audio files" to locate the WMV files you want to add.
    Note: This WMV to MPG Converter mac app supports batch conversion, so you can add multiple WMV files and convert them in one go.
    3.Select MPEG-4 Movie (*.MP4) from the drop download output list.
    choose output format
    Note: This WMV to MPG Converter Mac provides optimized output settings for QuickTime, iPod, iPhone and Apple TV.
    choose output format
    4.Hit "Convert" to start convert WMV to MPeG for mac.
    Note: This smart WMV to MPEG mac Video Converter can automatically switch off the computer when the conversion is done, so you don't need to wait around during the conversion.
    WMV,MPG and MPEG format
    * Windows Media Video (WMV) is a compressed video file format for several
    proprietary codecs developed by Microsoft. The original codec, known as WMV, was originally designed for Internet streaming applications, as a competitor to RealVideo.
    * Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) was formed by the ISO to set standards for audio and video compression and transmission. Its first meeting was in May 1988 in Ottawa, Canada. As of late 2005, MPEG has grown to include approximately 350 members per meeting from various industries, universities, and research institutions. MPEG's official designation is ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29 WG11.
    * MPG is a common digital video format standardized by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG); typically incorporates MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 audio and video compression; often used for creating movies that are distributed on the Internet.
    01-17-11 08:56 PM