Hey fellow CB'ers! I rec'd this email from my sister in law this morning(its not about her) but I thought I would share this- I was not suprized to hear of it-but concerned of how to deal with it!

I locked my car --- as I walked away I heard my car door* unlock.*************** I went* back to lock my car again, three times. I looked around and* there were two guys sitting in a car in the fire lane next to the* store.**************** When I* looked straight at them they did not unlock my car again.******************************** How to lock your car safely -* While traveling, my son stopped at a roadside park. He came* out to his* car less than 4-5 minutes later and found someone had* gotten into his* car, and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS* navigator,* briefcase.....you name it...**************** He called the police and since there were no signs of his* car being* broken into - the police told him that there is a device* that robbers* are using now to clone your security code when you lock* your doors on* your car using your key-chain locking device.*************** They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to steal and run. The police officer said to manually lock your car door-by hitting the lock button inside the car, that way if there is someone siting in a parking lot watching for their next victim it will not be you.* When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it* does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain - it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be stolen. Something totally new to us...and real.* Be aware of this and please pass this note on...look how many times we all lock our doors with our remote...just to be sure we remembered to lock them....and bingo someone has our code...and whatever was in the car...can be stolen.******************************* >> >> Snopes Approved. Re: snopes.com: Code Grabbers and Remote*************** >> Keyless Entry*************** >

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 07:37 AM
    This is not really something that is all that common. Even the snopes.com story snopes.com: Code Grabbers and Remote Keyless Entry states that this is mix of fact and fiction.

On top of the equipment required, the overall knowledge of the system and time required to do something like this many (if not most) of the current car security systems on the market use something they call code hoping technology. Most of the code hoping technology works by having a set of codes that change each time you lock/unlock your car with the remote. This allows the code to be different with each exit and entry to the vehicle so that something like this can't really happen.

Also, most auto burglary is a crime of convenience and not well laid out plans. The only people that will spend any amount of time to break into your car are the ones that are going to take it and if those guys really want your car, they are probably going to get it.

So be happy, you don't really have to worry about this.
    04-08-09 08:02 AM
    This thread is BS. First of all, the equipment and knowledge required means that it is completely not worth it unless the criminals know the person they are targetting has a significant amount of high end property in the vehicle easily accessible.

All modern vehicle remotes have rolling code security. First generation door remotes did not, and this may have applied then, but it is barely possible now and the investment required to do it would be so high that no criminal could make money in doing it.

If a criminal wants your stuff, they will walk through the parking lot looking in windows. When they see what they want, they will either smash a window, or pry the door open to get it.

Most cases of theft from vehicle involve an unlocked car, your best defense is simply to lock your car, and park in a high travel area. Don't park a small car between two large vehicles that would offer cover etc.

Oh yeah, and the best advice of all....DON'T LEAVE YOUR **** LYING ON THE SEAT.
    04-10-09 03:24 AM
    This thread is BS. First of all, the equipment and knowledge required means that it is completely not worth it unless the criminals know the person they are targetting has a significant amount of high end property in the vehicle easily accessible.

All modern vehicle remotes have rolling code security. First generation door remotes did not, and this may have applied then, but it is barely possible now and the investment required to do it would be so high that no criminal could make money in doing it.

If a criminal wants your stuff, they will walk through the parking lot looking in windows. When they see what they want, they will either smash a window, or pry the door open to get it.

Most cases of theft from vehicle involve an unlocked car, your best defense is simply to lock your car, and park in a high travel area. Don't park a small car between two large vehicles that would offer cover etc.

Oh yeah, and the best advice of all....DON'T LEAVE YOUR **** LYING ON THE SEAT.
    No real reason to be a a$$ about it.
    04-10-09 08:29 AM
    Thank you roe-i was just passing on info my sis in law gave me trying to be helpful! I don't need to be torched about it!! If you don't like wat you see/read-then just be courtious w/o replying and move-on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD