This is a crazy controversial movie.

Have any of you seen it?

How did it make you feel?

Did it Disgust you? Was it thought provoking?

What is your stance on organized religion?

Has Organized Religion done more harm than good?

And how far are you willing to go, to believe the stories presented in the Bible Literally? (I.E. Jonas and the "Big Fish")
    04-08-09 04:17 PM
    I will definitley have to see this Prada...
    04-08-09 04:19 PM
    This is a crazy controversial movie.

Have any of you seen it?

How did it make you feel?

Did it Disgust you? Was it thought provoking?

What is your stance on organized religion?

Has Organized Religion done more harm than good?

And how far are you willing to go, to believe the stories presented in the Bible Literally? (I.E. Jonas and the "Big Fish")
    I was raised in church. A good fundamental bible believing church. And i see this movie as being highly uncalled for.

And for the record book.

If the "Good book" is a made up, notice i said IF, when i've died - i've lived a good life.

If the "good book" is not made up, where does that leave you for the rest of time?
    04-08-09 04:33 PM
    This thread isn't meant to start a flame war, it was intended to discuss the movie.

Which you did do, by saying it (the movie) was uncalled for.

If the "Good book" is a made up, notice i said IF, when i've died - i've lived a good life.

If the "good book" is not made up, where does that leave you for the rest of time?
    Let me play devil's advocate.

I'll answer that by saying one doesn't need religion to be virtuous.

One part of the movie discussed that the Ten Commandments really don't teach anything that isn't "inherently/naturally" known as "wrong".

Religion isn't needed to know that murder/stealing is wrong.

So to claim that your an ethical person strictly based upon your religious upbringing is pretty shallow.

Some of the most unethical people have been religious folk, and some of the most heinous acts have been inspired by religion.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 04-08-09 at 05:32 PM.
    04-08-09 05:28 PM
    I dig what you're saying Prada.
    04-08-09 05:52 PM
    And for the record, No- I do not dislike religion.

I dislike the majority of blind followers that get swept up into its wake.

On paper, Religion is inherently good.

It's only when you add in the human factor, that all heck breaks loose.
    04-08-09 06:19 PM
    I really hope a few of you take the time to watch this pseudo-documentary.

Whether you agree with it or not-

It's always good to know both sides of a story, and it's very healthy to carry around a decent amount of skepticism in your day to day life.

At best, you'll have a few questions to ask to your clergy, or heck- even be inspired to do some research for yourself, and there's nothing wrong with learning more about your faith.

At worst, your out of the 4 bucks it cost to rent the movie and be completely disgusting with the money you donated into the poor box at church.
    04-08-09 06:26 PM
    We're on the same boat as far as that feeling goes.

The way I see it, religion is meant to control (at least control the blind and vulnerable).
    04-08-09 07:05 PM
    Saw the movie, thought it was pretty interesting. I agree with you about the 10 commandments deal. Couldn't believe that place in Florida I think it was? Regardless I find it hard to believe most of what "man" writes. I also think it's scary to become way too wrapped up in something, and I don't mean religion alone.
    04-08-09 10:29 PM
    And i see this movie as being highly uncalled for.

And for the record book.

I wouldn't say the movie is outright 'uncalled' for; however you're entitled to your opinion of course...I respect it; just as I respect all opinions.

I can definitely see how some may have issues with the movie as a whole though. I agree that if someone TRULY lives their life according to an inherit good that exists (whether that inheritance is strenghtened by faith/religion or not)...they have lived a virtuous life according to human morality that I believe is inherent in humans; and dormant in those that truly are bad seeds. The keyword above is 'truly'.

And for the record, No- I do not dislike religion.

On paper, Religion is inherently good.

It's only when you add in the human factor, that all heck breaks loose.
    Yes; but religion isn't truly considered religion if it's simply written down to be read. So if adding the human element of taking 'religion' straight off of parchment and putting it into practice; translates into rifts forming as a result of putting what was written into practice...that is the very test that religion exposes to its followers (whatever the religion may be.)
    I really hope a few of you take the time to watch this pseudo-documentary.

Whether you agree with it or not-

It's always good to know both sides of a story, and it's very healthy to carry around a decent amount of skepticism in your day to day life.

At best, you'll have a few questions to ask to your clergy, or heck- even be inspired to do some research for yourself, and there's nothing wrong with learning more about your faith.

At worst, your out of the 4 bucks it cost to rent the movie and be completely disgusting with the money you donated into the poor box at church.
    The 'at bests' and 'at worsts' may be dependent on who you ask ...this is a given though.

Saw the movie, thought it was pretty interesting. I agree with you about the 10 commandments deal. Couldn't believe that place in Florida I think it was? Regardless I find it hard to believe most of what "man" writes. I also think it's scary to become way too wrapped up in something, and I don't mean religion alone.
    It is fact that the version of the Bible is widely read and followed according to how it is now; it is not the original version it was written in...it has been formatted changed throughout years. This change is definitely disheartening as to what degree of a 'human' element has potentially bastardized certain tenets that off-shoot from the core of the scripture. HOWEVER; this is the difference between a believer and a non-believer...a believer has affirmation of living their life according to what is technically 'unseen'.
    Last edited by Swoopster; 04-09-09 at 12:12 AM.
    04-09-09 12:09 AM
    Yes; but religion isn't truly considered religion if it's simply written down to be read. So if adding the human element of taking 'religion' straight off of parchment and putting it into practice; translates into rifts forming as a result of putting what was written into practice...that is the very test that religion exposes to its followers (whatever the religion may be.)
    No.

That's like saying "if everyone on earth stopped using screwdrivers, then screwdrivers would no longer be considered screwdrivers."

It's still a screwdriver, whether in use or not.

It's still a religion, whether still practiced or not.
    04-09-09 03:02 PM
    We're on the same boat as far as that feeling goes.

The way I see it, religion is meant to control (at least control the blind and vulnerable).
    04-09-09 05:16 PM
    No.

That's like saying "if everyone on earth stopped using screwdrivers, then screwdrivers would no longer be considered screwdrivers."

It's still a screwdriver, whether in use or not.

It's still a religion, whether still practiced or not.
    I disagree. If there ever was a prime example of an apples to oranges example (aside from the fruits themselves); comparing a screwdriver to religion would be that example.
    04-09-09 05:28 PM
    Why?

They're both tools.

A screwdriver is used to screw in nails-

Religion is used to help explain the unexplainable, help coop through hard times, enslave humanity, justify pedophilia... etc

Not so off if you ask me.

Maybe you should try to be a bit more open minded-

Regardless, religion isn't defined by its followers, or lack there of.

There are millions of obscure religions, just because no one practices them any longer, doesn't make them automatically a non-religion.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 04-09-09 at 05:53 PM.
    04-09-09 05:49 PM

Religion is used to help explain the unexplainable, help coop through hard times, enslave humanity, justify pedophilia... etc

Open minded? Saying that religion exists to 'justify pedophilia'? Wow that is really open minded. I don't believe its anyone's place to judge other's beliefs as we are each entitled to our own beliefs. On the other hand I couldn't leave a comment like this one untouched. What makes you think that religion was created to 'justify pedophilia'? I am not a overly religious person, I am baptized but I do not attend church weekly. It is my choice to believe there is a God. It is my choice to follow the religion I was born into. I don't run around mocking others because they believe that Atheism, Judaism, or any other religion is the way- I respect their choices. To make a statement like the one above is rather insane. I would hope that anyone on this board who reads through these threads and comes across posts such as yours would draw their own conclusions. There are a lot of young, impressionable people on these boards. You should be more responsible with your choice in words.

As for the movie: it was what it was meant to be- entertaining.
    04-09-09 07:42 PM
    Open minded? Saying that religion exists to 'justify pedophilia'? Wow that is really open minded. I don't believe its anyone's place to judge other's beliefs as we are each entitled to our own beliefs. On the other hand I couldn't leave a comment like this one untouched. What makes you think that religion was created to 'justify pedophilia'? I am not a overly religious person, I am baptized but I do not attend church weekly. It is my choice to believe there is a God. It is my choice to follow the religion I was born into. I don't run around mocking others because they believe that Atheism, Judaism, or any other religion is the way- I respect their choices. To make a statement like the one above is rather insane. I would hope that anyone on this board who reads through these threads and comes across posts such as yours would draw their own conclusions. There are a lot of young, impressionable people on these boards. You should be more responsible with your choice in words.

No one said religion "exists to justify pedophilia". Where was that said? How did you read that? The point is that people do incredibly wicked things, in the "name" of religion. That includes not holding the guilty accountable, and allowing the traditions of men (that often have nothing to do with God) to weigh more than the lives of those affected by wrongdoing. That's "using" religion to justify something wrong, which is what the OP actually said.

Secondly, the whole movie is a mockery of "religion", for the most part. So, why would you be so sensitive to what you perceive as mockery here, yet see the movie as "entertaining"? It's irreverent, at least.

Then, you call someone "insane", because they have beliefs that differ from yours (after you misquoted him), yet you wanna call folks out for mockery? If someone believes my beliefs are foolish, that doesn't make it so. That's what they believe. That falls under the "freedom to believe act", too.
    04-09-09 09:01 PM

Then, you call someone "insane", because they have beliefs that differ from yours (after you misquoted him), yet you wanna call folks out for mockery?
    I didn't call anyone 'insane'. Look who is misquoting who. Applause for your performance. Furthermore I will no longer be responding to your instigating. If you would like to discuss the real reason you feel the need to 'follow' me around and instigate things feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by iobxchick; 04-09-09 at 09:09 PM.
    04-09-09 09:06 PM
    I didn't call anyone 'insane'. Look who is misquoting who. Applause for your performance.
    I didn't know I was "performing", but thanks. Follow you around? Oh wow! I just responded to your post. That chip on your shoulder must feel really heavy. PM you for what? I said what I had to say...right here.
    04-09-09 09:13 PM

Oh My.

Why are you getting so defensive?

If you know that pedophilia isn't "justified" by your religion, then why get your panties in a bunch?

It was a joke, that's why I listed it last.

Pardon me for not using cutesy colored font to demonstrate that.

It was a South park reference- I was hoping some readers would catch that. What with all the South Park vs Family Guy topics cropping up lately, I thought it would be pretty obvious.

Oh Well.

Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 04-09-09 at 10:08 PM.
    04-09-09 10:06 PM
    If you know that pedophilia isn't "justified" by your religion, then why get your panties in a bunch?

It was a joke, that's why I listed it last.
    It isn't a matter of anyone getting their 'panties in a bunch'. It's a discussion where you say something...and some replies back; so on and so forth.

I never knew it's supposed to be common knowledge that when someone lists a point last in a series of points...the last point translates into being a joke. Yet; if you truly believe religion provides justification/harbor for pedophilia...then say it as so. Rather; you're calling it a joke only because someone replies back to your comment on pedophilia and how you think religion approaches.

Pardon me for not using cutesy colored font to demonstrate that.
    I personally don't mind colored font; it can provide some ambiance to the discussion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 11:46 AM
    Maybe it isn't common knowledge- I guess what it comes down to is, not being able to hear someone's tone of voice then.

Oh well, it was said, it was done.

It may offend some, but alas- it has happened numerous times.

In the past, or present, that can't be debated.

Oh, and by the way Swoopster hows the 350z ?
    04-10-09 12:15 PM
    It's nice but the 357 is nicer .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 02:04 PM
    someone has to do it sooner or later...

religion is one of the, if not, is the biggest hypocrisy out there...

....specificaly the ones that make the news all the time....
    Last edited by UncleSmurf; 04-11-09 at 12:26 AM.
    04-11-09 12:21 AM
    Ahh, Prada. How the heck are ya? I feel like I've been here before...similar topic...religion good/bad...you taking no prisoners as you stand your ground...Religious Right, that's it! LOL! I just thought I'd stop by and say hello to an old buddy. I wish you well on this thread. Take care!

Golfie
    04-11-09 01:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD