Has anyone run into a problem recording a conversation when stopped by Police for say speeding?? My son was stopped last week for speeding and decided to switch on his phone recorded so he would have a record of the conversation. When asked by the police officer what speed he was doing he replied the speed limit which was 120 KM in BC, Canada.

He was doing a lot faster than that he figures at least 10 over, long story short the officer noticed that the conversation was being recorded and was quite upset about it. He received a verbal warning and was told it was illegal to record the conversation without the officers permission. Any thoughts anyone.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 05:46 PM
    Every country is different in laws. My truck in the US has two recording cameras on front and rear of the truck. They record video and audio as long as it's on accessory. I also use my phone to record if/ when I get pulled over. The difference is I use the video recorder right on the dash mount. I've asked several NJ police officers about the cameras and none ever said it's against the law to record being pulled over.

Never tell a police officer how fast you think you were going. If they didn't clock you and you admit you were going say 15 over the speed limit, they can give you a speeding ticket because you're admitting to speeding and the actual speed. Just say you weren't paying attention.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 06:05 PM
    Best option; Check the laws in Canada, the providence laws, and local regulations.

Here in the states, several states and municipalities have invoked "wire tap" laws covering recording via audio and video of law enforcement personnel on duty.
    More times than not, the courts have stuck down those laws and cases.
    Given current events in the US and abroad, one should approach said negative laws as "Only a government that lives like cockroaches in the darkness would pass a law criminalizing the act of turning on the light"
    Contact your representatives if there are laws against recording.
    08-03-15 06:11 PM
    If your kid feels the need to record a conversation with the cops because of speeding ??? Maybe you should be talking to him. Anyone that needs to do that has a lot to hide. Also.... he's already being recorded by the cop on his car cameras.

There's a bigger issue here. Not a recording app!!!

Your kid got a break. He should take it that way. Lucky.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 06:13 PM
    Every country is different in laws. My truck in the US has two recording cameras on front and rear of the truck. They record video and audio as long as it's on accessory. I also use my phone to record if/ when I get pulled over. The difference is I use the video recorder right on the dash mount. I've asked several NJ police officers about the cameras and none ever said it's against the law to record being pulled over.

Never tell a police officer how fast you think you were going. If they didn't clock you and you admit you were going say 15 over the speed limit, they can give you a speeding ticket because you're admitting to speeding and the actual speed. Just say you weren't paying attention.

Posted via CB10
    You're making it sound like you get pulled over so often you need cameras mounted on your vehicle. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 06:37 PM
    First the time has passed sitting him down when he is 30 plus, secondly not all police cars have built in cameras like the states he said that by saying he was doing the speed limit should he go to court and the police officer stands up and says that my son admitted going over the limit he would have something to fall back on.

It might sound paranoid to some folks, but unless you have been at the end of police injustice it's not a good place to be, myself I have never been there but my cousin who successfully sued the RCMP, who settled out of court for 2 police officers who lied under oath in court not everyone is true blue. And yes they were dismissed from the force.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 07:08 PM
    If your kid feels the need to record a conversation with the cops because of speeding ??? Maybe you should be talking to him. Anyone that needs to do that has a lot to hide. Also.... he's already being recorded by the cop on his car cameras.

Posted via CB10
    He's recording the police so he has something to hide? Or maybe he wanted to protect himself, we all know how the cops are being trained to shoot first and ask second. I suppose you also think I have something to hide because I don't want the NSA collecting all my phone calls and texts. Are you one of those brainwashed ppl?

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    SmileDahling, LazyEvul and raino like this.
    08-03-15 07:31 PM
    Record everything. Why not? They are w/ out your consent.

BleedBlk-
    08-03-15 07:51 PM
    There's no law in Canada preventing you from recording the police. They're civil servants who are out in public. Anything in public is fair game. There is no expectation of privacy when in the public. Your son was recording in his own car, which is his private property. The cop can't demand you stop recording. Unless he has a warrant or your permission, he can't just go through your camera, car or whatever else he wants.
    Him telling you it's illegal is just an intimidation tactic used to cover his ***. Next time ask him what exact law and for him to show you the legal document defining that law. Always record them for your own protection. You don't need to inform them you're recording either. They have no problem recording everything you do or say on their cameras "for their protection" so you should record too for your own protection.
    Law enforcement always likes to use the line "if you're not doing anything illegal, then you have nothing to fear". So why do they object so much when you record them? Even the Charter of Rights says you can record, but they like to ignore that fact.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    spike12 and southlander like this.
    08-03-15 10:51 PM
    You're making it sound like you get pulled over so often you need cameras mounted on your vehicle. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    I live in NJ, cameras are a must for everyday driving.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    08-03-15 11:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    So if someone puts blinds over their windows, that means they have something to hide? Who would be thought.

There's nothing to hide if you want a conversation recorded. What you're saying is the furthest from what anyone wants when they want something recorded. I recorded my son's first steps, guess I wanted that hidden as well. You make no sense.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 11:46 PM
    Or maybe he wanted to protect himself, we all know how the cops are being trained to shoot first and ask second.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    Oh really. Since when. Such generalities are grossly irresponsible and destructive. The OVERWHELMING number of police officers put their lives on the line every day for us. The actions of a few should not be used as a broad brush to paint all.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    BigBadWulf, zephyr613 and habs_fan like this.
    08-03-15 11:50 PM
    Oh really. Since when. Such generalities are grossly irresponsible and destructive. The OVERWHELMING number of police officers put their lives on the line every day for us. The actions of a few should not be used as a broad brush to paint all.

While he may be dealing in generalities, I don't blame anyone who wants to record encounters with police officers. While there are good, honest cops who do nothing but uphold the law, there also also those who see their badge as a license to bully civilians. When you're stopped by cops, you don't know which sort of cop you're dealing with, so it's best to err on the side of caution and have something with which you can hold one accountable.
    08-04-15 12:41 PM
    This is a Blackberry forum, right?

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    08-04-15 02:17 PM
    This is a Blackberry forum, right?

Posted via CB10
    Are you suggesting moving to Off-Topic?

Or enough of the police-tics... ;-)

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    08-04-15 03:07 PM

Since when? Clearly you don't watch or read the news. Clearly you haven't the slightest idea about martial law. Perhaps you missed all the military grade equipment your local police force is buying. Perhaps you spend too much time watching dancing with the stars and not enough time watching what's happening around you.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    08-04-15 05:23 PM
    Since when? Clearly you don't watch or read the news. Clearly you haven't the slightest idea about martial law. Perhaps you missed all the military grade equipment your local police force is buying. Perhaps you spend too much time watching dancing with the stars and not enough time watching what's happening around you.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    I wouldn't be caught dead watching Dancing with the Cars. And I am keenly aware of the militarization of our many police depts. In fact, I'm more than passingly familiar with their equipment, dynamic entry and crisis situation tactics and for many their appalling lack of marksmanship .

For the most part I treat LEOs with respect and minimise my interactions with them.

08-04-15 07:08 PM
    I wouldn't be caught dead watching Dancing with the Cars. And I am keenly aware of the militarization of our many police depts. In fact, I'm more than passingly familiar with their equipment, dynamic entry and crisis situation tactics and for many their appalling lack of marksmanship .

For the most part I treat LEOs with respect and minimise my interactions with them.

Then there's no point in asking since when.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    08-04-15 07:28 PM

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    Here's some media for you to consume:

Baltimore Murder Record: Freddie Gray Aftermath

Go ahead... toss out the baby with the bath water. You will soon find as Baltimore has, that even if you make the presumption an officer intentionally sought out and killed a citizen, that the force as a whole risks their lives daily, in order to keep peace, and ensure that the community is safe from the gang bangers, drug dealers and other low-life vermin who constitute the real problem in most neighborhoods.

G_d help us all. We, in large part thanks to the media, are losing all touch with reality.
    08-04-15 09:24 PM
    Depends on what one believes reality is.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 09:27 PM

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    I have an idea. To show your solidarity with the people and how the police are such a menace take a long walk through Baltimore and Ferguson. On your walk, tell as many people as you can what you think of the police and that you are sympathetic to them. Make sure your final affairs are in order first before you do this! Haha.

08-04-15 10:06 PM
    I don't think there's anything wrong with recording a police stop, however it's fascinating that some who want to play gotcha with the police, have no problem denying they've done wrong themselves. Justice, honesty and respect should be given in both directions.
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    08-04-15 11:01 PM
    There's nothing wrong in recording police pulling you over or stopping you. In many countries this is the only way for a motorist to shield himself or herself against abuse of power, money extortion and degrading treatment. Why do you think we have so many crazy videos from Russian dash cams? Russians didn't put them in their cars just for fun, it's a matter of rule of law, i.e. making sure that everyone including the police follows the law.

And judging by what I've seen and heard from and about ferguson and baltimore, many communities in the US will also benefit from revealing the flaws in police system by recording actions of individual officers.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 11:28 PM
    And judging by what I've seen and heard from and about ferguson and baltimore, many communities in the US will also benefit from revealing the flaws in police system by recording actions of individual officers.

Posted via CB10
    In Ferguson you have an exonerated officer, living in seclusion, and unable to get a job anywhere. The rioting destroyed many, mostly minority lives.

In Baltimore, the facts have yet to be determined, but what we do know is that the city's crime has spun completely out of control.

If anyone needs the protection of recording, it's law enforcement, and the law abiding citizens they attempt to serve.
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    08-04-15 11:48 PM
    First the time has passed sitting him down when he is 30 plus, secondly not all police cars have built in cameras like the states he said that by saying he was doing the speed limit should he go to court and the police officer stands up and says that my son admitted going over the limit he would have something to fall back on.

It might sound paranoid to some folks, but unless you have been at the end of police injustice it's not a good place to be, myself I have never been there but my cousin who successfully sued the RCMP, who settled out of court for 2 police officers who lied under oath in court not everyone is true blue. And yes they were dismissed from the force.

Posted via CB10
    I never thought I'd distrust the police and need to have a recording device either. Now I'd love to have a simple to use reliable app to upload real time to the cloud.

Unless you've been set up by the cops it's easy to say if you're doing nothing wrong you don't have to worry. Every time the blue lights come on, your life is in danger. People think it's OK to worry about terrorists but each year more people are killed by US Civilian cops than any terrorist attack.

I'm white by the way. I have panic attacks just being outside mowing my lawn thinking a cop is coming. Because I lived through it. One arrest can bankrupt you if you're innocent. By the time you post bail and hire a lawyer and go to court and get the charges thrown out you can be 20k in debt.

I can't even imagine driving while being black. Any interaction with a cop is dangerous. And this guy's kid is being taught correctly. Get everything on video if possible.

I feel safer in Mexico than I do in my own country.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2339 / T-Mobile USA
    08-04-15 11:51 PM
30 12