I might need help. Let me ask you this; isn't it a bit unhealthy to be so addicted to your BB that you tell people it is your best friend, and openly mention that you have real and deep emotional attachment to it and every BB you've owned?

What if your obsession goes to the point of being literally unable to tolerate having it out of reach even in a different room than the one you are in within your own home? If you can't go more than 20 minutes without having concocted something to look up or look at? You even can't get to sleep unless you can look over at the stand by your bed to see that dim, warm glow of the bedside mode clock?

All the above is me. My BlackBerry is as essential to me as the air I breathe. Why is my head so messed up? You know, I use my 'Berry to manage my life; pay my bills, manage my finances, store calendars, notes, a ton of other stuff. I am not a social sort whatsoever, so I do not use any social networking (save for occasional visits to the CB forums), I have no pressing email contacts, etc, so it has nothing to do with the "crack light" effect and whatnot. It's just something about the majesty and closeness I have to my 'Berry. Because of what i've been thru in my years, I do not put trust in people, and I mean nobody anywhere for any reason, but I DO trust my 'Berry in some odd fashion.

I can step back out of the frame and try to take an objective look at all of this and say "that's probably ridiculous", but inside I either don't care or can't help it. Therefore, I need a reality check or a head shrink. I've been using BlackBerrys for a good while and can't let go. I've tried, but g*d I couldn't stand it.

Hmm.
    kbz1960 and renate49 like this.
    02-02-13 11:01 AM
    My wife would probably say we're brothers. I'm still in denial though. LOL
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-07-13 09:41 PM

What if your obsession goes to the point of being literally unable to tolerate having it out of reach even in a different room than the one you are in within your own home? If you can't go more than 20 minutes without having concocted something to look up or look at? You even can't get to sleep unless you can look over at the stand by your bed to see that dim, warm glow of the bedside mode clock?
    This. Exactly.And yes we're sick.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-08-13 07:43 PM
    I can't sleep all night anyways but what makes it worse is that I'll grab my phone just to check up on any notifications that might happen to be there lol
    02-08-13 08:06 PM
    They say "it's just a phone" or just a "device." They'll never understand
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-10-13 02:50 AM
    They say "it's just a phone" or just a "device." They'll never understand
    That kind of attachment is just a testament to how much we've come to depend on these things, and how much better one brand fits our individual needs than others. I'm sure -- no, I know -- there are iPhone users who feel the same way, probly Android users too. I think if Thor's predictions come true and BB10 is the beginning of the next generation of mobile computing, it's only going to get worse.

But after all, isn't that how BB earned the nickname 'CrackBerry'???
    kbz1960, Vorkosigan and Lendo like this.
    02-10-13 06:39 AM
    I used to laugh at my brother-in-law because of his 'crackberry'. Then I got a job where it started to be more essential that i was reachable even when out of the office, then i needed to be able to take my office with me...and now i can't imagine life without it. I was actually upset the other day when my son referred to my bb as being uncool. To be fair he was saying I would have a cool phone once i got the Z10.
    02-10-13 12:08 PM
    That kind of attachment is just a testament to how much we've come to depend on these things, and how much better one brand fits our individual needs than others. I'm sure -- no, I know -- there are iPhone users who feel the same way, probly Android users too. I think if Thor's predictions come true and BB10 is the beginning of the next generation of mobile computing, it's only going to get worse.

But after all, isn't that how BB earned the nickname 'CrackBerry'???
    Thor's concept of "mobile computing" is something i've been arguing for and pondering for many years. Really considering the kind of stuff you do on a PC vs a BlackBerry for example; what's the PC needed for? Really, only the services of an optical drive for me. If they'd improve the concept of wireless printing and implement a way to use a USB optical drive with accompanying burning software, I would never need to turn on a PC again. I download things and decompress them on my device, and just really use my BlackBerry to the maximum extent conceivable for all that one could consider to be some category of "computing."

As far as individual needs or wants, what you said is my feeling exactly and why I will not engage in the popular art of outright bashing someone, short of some jest amongst friends perhaps. I'm not afraid to voice my opinions when the subject arises on why I do not like or use Android or iOS for example, but not attacks against the person for choosing it, unless of course they attack me first and i'm left with no choice but to shut 'em up

..and sort of, crack dealers should probably wish crack was as addictive to me as my 'Berry.

@Vorkosigan: I would feel a bit of that. Fortunately, my daughter is only six and not tuned in to what's "cool" or not just yet. She does have a doll in her dollhouse that has a cell phone in her hand and refers to it as her BlackBerry. I get a kick out of that.
    02-12-13 07:12 AM
    Thor's concept of "mobile computing" is something i've been arguing for and pondering for many years. Really considering the kind of stuff you do on a PC vs a BlackBerry for example; what's the PC needed for? Really, only the services of an optical drive for me. If they'd improve the concept of wireless printing and implement a way to use a USB optical drive with accompanying burning software, I would never need to turn on a PC again. I download things and decompress them on my device, and just really use my BlackBerry to the maximum extent conceivable for all that one could consider to be some category of "computing."
    Actually, there's a LOT of stuff I do on a PC that I just can't see myself doing on a mobile device - not even a tablet. Working on large documents, spreadsheets or project plans, the bigger the screen the better. Same for music sequencing and graphics at home. There's no way I could do my job or many of my casual computing tasks on any mobile device.

There will very likely be more and more functions that will migrate to the mobile space from traditional desktop and laptop systems, but I don't see these systems ever being completely replaced.

As far as individual needs or wants, what you said is my feeling exactly and why I will not engage in the popular art of outright bashing someone, short of some jest amongst friends perhaps. I'm not afraid to voice my opinions when the subject arises on why I do not like or use Android or iOS for example, but not attacks against the person for choosing it, unless of course they attack me first and i'm left with no choice but to shut 'em up
    Ditto that!
    02-12-13 09:16 AM