I have suffered painfully for the past year with this crapberry tour 9630. Why I thought that leaving a real smart phone for a world famous Blackberry was a good idea is beyond me! I liked it at first, I will not lie. Then having to pull the battery once a day and randomly have to re-load an OS just to make it work right (that is, until that OS has a bug and I have to downgrade to an older OS again). What else is there? OH! Clicking the link 30 times before it recognizes it or cleaning the crapball more than once a week to try to get it to work. Having to send it back to RIM(job) to get it fixed only to get a refirb POS, or going through my carrier who also sends out rebuild POS phone. There is an app for that... not with Blackberry. Nothing worth using on the Tour anyway. How about the browser? Slow. Really slow. BBM? They have something good going on there!

But now there are new phones. Torch and Bold (even the 9650 leaves its little step brother 9630 in its dust) with new upgraded OS6. Hey RIM, there are people out there who paid to get this "new phone" only to be drown in the wake of the OS6 phones.

So, come the end of the week when I decide that paying full price for a phone is well worth not having to deal with the endless random re-boots, dropped calls, daily battery pulls, re-flasing of the OS and CRAPPY UI, RIM will lose two customers, my wife and I.

So RIM, I hope you read this. I am like the guy who got the crappy pizza from Dominos. I am a very unhappy customer and I will not every buy another product of yours nor will I EVER recommend RIM to one of my friends or family.

Let the onslought of crackberry addicts rip my head off for having a negative opinion about this worthless phone.
    02-16-11 08:08 PM
    AGREED!!! Blackberry Tour 9630 is/will be my first and last Blackberry.
    02-16-11 08:30 PM
    Sprint should exchange it for a Bold 9650 if you're still under warranty.
    02-16-11 08:32 PM
    Sprint should exchange it for a Bold 9650 if you're still under warranty.
    I had thought the same thing. It was sent to sprint the same time VZW was upgrading their replacements to 9650s. Sprint said they had no more new 9630 handsets and they would send a similar or better unit. They happily sent me another 9630 refurb! Its pointless. Even if I had a 9650 the constant babying these phones need is just not worth my time. I change my kids diaper less times in a day than my phone resets itself or needs resetting.

My momma always said, two wrongs don't make a right. Sprint + Blackberry is very wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-11 09:30 PM
    Why you would come here and say that you have bought your first and last Blackberry is like going into an ethnic neighborhood and shouting something particularly racist.

I have personally greatly enjoyed and appreciated my Tour. I have owned a series of Blackbery devices and have appreciated this company from the beginning. I do feel like quality has suffered in the past couple of years but only somewhat. The quality of Blackberry devices is, in my opinion, still ahead of most other manufacturers by an order of magnitude. Blackberrys for me have been very useful and dependable devices. I will never go to another company as far as I can tell right now.

A case in point as far as the iPhone is concerned is this: It is offered in a 16 GB and a 32 GB version. It has no mini or micro SD card slot. This is ridiculous. I can purchase an iPhone 4 right now with Verizon. Why would I want to do that? My current Tour sounds every bit as good as an iPhone does and it has memory expandability.

There is a reason that Blacberry devices are so popular. I don't know why some people just don't seem to get it, but it does just seem like they miss it somehow. I get it. And millions of other people get it too. I am saddened that you folks feel the way you do but that is just how it goes...

My .02
    Sean1198 likes this.
    02-16-11 10:33 PM
    Op, I hope you have your flame shield up.

This should be an interesting thread.

02-16-11 11:42 PM
    Some people like iPhones, some like androids and some like Blackberrys. I gave BB a shot. I left an iPhone for the tour and I hate to tell you, there IS a huge difference. If expandable memory is the only argument you have for the BBs then I must say that I can live with 32 GB in trade for every other weakness the BB has.

Heat shield is up, I can take everyone's opinions just as easily as I gave mine. Would I go into an ethnic neighborhood and shout racist slurs? Nope. For one that is not my MO and two, I wouldn't want the consequences. Comparing that to a cell phone forum is a bit extreme. When they outlaw the use of the work "crapberry" I will delete my post. Until then I am counting down the days till I get a real smart phone. Not an antiquated one.

I should also mention that I closely follow the developments with RIM and the playbook (which looks pretty sweet) and the QNX OS (which I think could make RIM a forerunner in the smart phone race). A fiend has the torch with OS6 and I like that phone too. My big beef is with the 9630 and how RIM and the carriers chose to stop supporting it and the ridiculous amount of attention it needs just to work some of the times. Needing to place an emergency call and having to wait 7 minutes because it is rebooting itself is a huge problem to me.

02-17-11 07:24 AM
    Can't blame you for being peeved. Fortunately, VZW was kind enough to swap my Tour for a Bold. It's working great on OS6 and I'm looking forward to the next generation of BlackBerry from VZW.
    02-17-11 07:30 AM
    I had a different issue with my BB Tour through vzw. The camera started turning itself off when I clicked the trackball to take a picture. It didn't happen all the time but enough to annoy me missing out on a great shots of friends. I called vzw and they did some troubleshooting and finally agreed that nothing can be done except give me a new Tour. I hope this Tour isn't problematic because I really like the Tour even though it lacks in memory and will not be getting os 6 upgrade.
    02-17-11 07:54 AM
    The only good thing i can say about this phone is that it's still working.

Otherwise i've found the parade of clueless ****** fanbois just offensive.

This phone, the trackball, its stock battery, Sprint, the joke of a boot time, the broken clicking in the browser etc. the list goes on.

Saying RIM could give a **** would be the understatement of last+ year.

I have this POS only by force from the company i work for.

Here's another 2c for you pathetic suckups:

I actually worked for RIM when they were so pathetically desperate to approach Earthlink for a support staff.

Everything about them is ******* broken, the phones themselves & LOL @ their internal systems.

I could give 2 ***** about fanbois narrow experiences.
    02-17-11 11:06 AM
    The only good thing i can say about this phone is that it's still working.

Otherwise i've found the parade of clueless ****** fanbois just offensive.

This phone, the trackball, its stock battery, Sprint, the joke of a boot time, the broken clicking in the browser etc. the list goes on.

Saying RIM could give a **** would be the understatement of last+ year.

I have this POS only by force from the company i work for.

Here's another 2c for you pathetic suckups:

I actually worked for RIM when they were so pathetically desperate to approach Earthlink for a support staff.

Everything about them is ******* broken, the phones themselves & LOL @ their internal systems.

I could give 2 ***** about fanbois narrow experiences.
    Given all of the *****s in this post, it is obvious we have a feeble mind trying to express itself forcefully.

I run a small, successful custom electronics company. I say small in that there are usually 6 or 7 of us working together as a team and over that past 10 years we have averaged a healthy net profit and generous paychecks for all.

Every employee, every tool, every form we use to track business gets evaluated as being part of a problem or part of the solution. Our RIM devices have absolutely been part of the solution. When there has been a BlackBerry problem it was usually, but not always, the fault of the person in whose hand the device was in. When the device failed, and it can happen with any brand, the carrier took care of it. If the carrier had failed us they would have been "fired."

In the words of someone much wealthier than I am: ipig...YOU'RE FIRED!
    Last edited by i_hiker; 02-17-11 at 02:50 PM.
    02-17-11 12:26 PM
    This thread is hilarious. I'm not here to feed the trolls, but I really want to see how this plays out. OH, and to the op, I for one have not pulled my battery more than 4 times in the past 5 months. Maybe your usage needs to be examined a little.
    02-17-11 01:40 PM
    i_hiker: Your post is appreciated.

I'll be re-thinking my position based on your "net profit and generous paychecks"
    02-17-11 03:06 PM
    i_hiker: Your post is appreciated.

I'll be re-thinking my position based on your "net profit and generous paychecks"
    Yes...you should rethink your position because my office manager makes over 60k per year and the "guys" are all in the 100k range. Our RIM devices have provided dependable, reliable communication for our company. Oh...the part time college student who does my CAD work only makes about 40k. See ya.
    02-17-11 03:22 PM
    This thread is hilarious. I'm not here to feed the trolls, but I really want to see how this plays out. OH, and to the op, I for one have not pulled my battery more than 4 times in the past 5 months. Maybe your usage needs to be examined a little.
    I only had my Tour for about two months. It was like a breath of fresh air compared to my Curve. Memory was stable compared to the Curve and seldom had to pull the battery. I never had a problem with the Tour but friends had trackball issues, I had the opportunity to get the Bold and now everyone in the company has one. On OS5 I pulled the battery once a month and that was when I removed the Otterbox to clean the Bold. OS6 seems stable and working well for us. Looking forward to the next generation. As long as RIM devices keep working for us, we'll keep using them.
    02-17-11 03:35 PM
    Anyone who simply uses a BB will make at least 40k a year. This is excellent news.

i_hiker also hints at an upcoming role in a Visa commercial attributing small business success to some sort of small plastic device.
    02-17-11 03:42 PM
    Anyone who simply uses a BB will make at least 40k a year. This is excellent news.

i_hiker also hints at an upcoming role in a Visa commercial attributing small business success to some sort of small plastic device.
    LOL...gave you too much credit when I described you as a feeble mind trying to express itself forcefully.

02-17-11 04:15 PM
    wow! these threads never get old... oh wait, yes they do!
    02-17-11 04:16 PM
    wow! these threads never get old... oh wait, yes they do!
    Hi Paul. Stuck in an airport and having some fun. But yes...you're right.

02-17-11 04:28 PM
    Guys, point is, even satan has followers and devout fans. Why should it not surprise me that blackberry does as well. I chose to voice my opinion for the people who may page through the forums as I did when I considered going to blackberry a year ago. I made an educated choice based on options, good and bad. So I am posting a negative view. If you are sick of these posts then maybe you need to realize they are so enumerated because the product really is not worth using. If you want your phone for web browsing and games and useful apps this is not the way to go. If you need calendar, get one.

So feel free to keep defending it. I don't care how much you like it, because at the end of the day I hate it. My opinion. My right to express it here.

02-17-11 05:11 PM
    I don't have a problem with your opinion. You didn't like your Tour, I liked mine for the 10 days I had until VZW swapped it out for a Bold.

I just wish these posts would go in the thread that was set up for them.

Oh, btw, the having to click the link 30 times to finally get it to work was a problem with the OS, iirc. That's an easy fix. Are you off to Android too? I'm giving Droid2 some serious due diligence.
    02-17-11 05:20 PM
    Sounds to me like the OP didn't do his homework before making an important phone purchase. I am not sure how recent the Tour was purchased but if it is NEW as you say then you got swindled by your carrier AND you didn't do your homework. As for your complaints I see the same issues with other phones as well. I watched a friend of mine pull the battery on a facinate 5 times over the weekend and still complained that it wasn't working right. I rarely have to pull my battery on my 9650 and I utilize alot of hybrids and OS leaks. Sorry about your luck OP
    02-17-11 05:45 PM
    To the OP - sorry you had such a rough experience with your Tour. It seems that lots of the inconveniences you experienced were also related to poor customer service. If your NEW phone wasn't working correctly, it should have been replaced appropriately...until you got one that worked CORRECTLY. As others have stated, from time to time there will be a problem with ANY kind of phone. Electronics are mass-produced, and so there will be a few that don't work right. And, because phones vary widely in their features, sometimes a particular phone just isn't a good fit for a particular person, in terms of what you want or need it to do.

I've had no problems with my Tour (work phone)after almost two years of heavy use. When I noticed last summer that I was occasionally having the "reboot" problem when I'd set the phone down or move it around, I realized, thanks to the forums here, that it was most likely due to the battery cover getting a bit loose after being handled every day, so I solved that problem with using a little slice of a business card to tighten up the space and ensure stable battery contact. No problems since then.

I do agree that a new phone quickly becomes an old one well before the actual end of its useful life. With electronics, there's always something new and different coming out, usually several times a year. But that isn't peculiar to the Tour... it's just the nature of the biz...and it doesn't mean that your phone is obsolete just because something new came out.

Whatever you choose instead, I hope it works better for you. There's no "right" phone for everyone... just what is "right" for your needs.
    02-17-11 07:29 PM
    Why do people who don't like Blackberry/RIM feel they have every right to scream and name call and whine and complain here, and attack those who don't agree, but at the same time feel that anyone who likes Blackberry/RIM must be attacked and called names? It's ridiculous. If you want to hate on RIM/BB without being attacked, stop attacking those of us who like them!

I love my Tour. Recently it's begun to show it's age (nearly 2 years of heavy use) but I have an upgrade coming in 90 days so I'm going to hang in there.
    Are you a Blackberry Tour? Cause I don't recall "attacking" anyone. Just don't like my phone dude. Seems I'm not the only one. Sorry if you felt attacked. I wasn't trying to hurt or injury anyone. Where did you come up with that? I'm harping on the phone and its makers. Calling the product worthless. That's the problem with these forums. People take it way too personal. Its a freaking phone. Blackberry or iphone or android or windows phones are not worth half the trouble that people put into them.

To answer pcgizmo, I am actually going to a VZW iphone, wife just got me an ipad to go with my imac. So its a logical choice.

To all that were emotionally scarred from my hateful hurtful comments: MAN UP!

02-17-11 09:10 PM
    I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I know that puts knots in some folks panties too. Maybe a moderator can move it to the right spot? I don't know if I can do that. I only come to these forums to find out how to fix the crap that goes wrong with this phone.

02-17-11 09:59 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD