I purchased MS Office 2007 when I purchased my laptop. Now I am buying a Netbook for easier carry but it doesn't have a CD drive. If I download the office trial from the microsoft site can I use the registration code that came with my purchased software to register the trial version on my Netbook?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 01:31 AM
    It has to be from the same disc. Not all Windows XP discs will have a universal code that will work for all discs. Each disc has a unique code inside and that code determines the Product Key. Hope this helps. You can probably host the disc drive on your personal network on your laptop, use your NetBook to connect to the network disc drive and install from there?
    02-18-09 01:41 AM
    I never have even touched the disks though. Even the office that's on my laptop was already there. Then I just purchased the disks from circuit city and when I was prompted for the registration code I used the one that came with the disks I purchased but never inserted the CDs in my PC

02-18-09 01:47 AM
    I never have even touched the disks though. Even the office that's on my laptop was already there. Then I just purchased the disks from circuit city and when I was prompted for the registration code I used the one that came with the disks I purchased but never inserted the CDs in my PC

Oh, the version that was already pre-installed onto your computer probably has a special code that will accept any Product Key, and it knows what sequence of the Product key belongs to different types of Microsoft Office (i.e. Home and Student, Professional) So once you entered in your product key that you bought with your disc, it knew that, that Product Key belonged to the version of Office you purchased.

It's like that with Windows Vista. Home Premium is actually Ultimate, but you must activate Ultimate with a special Product Key. Without that special Product Key, the Ultimate features are not available.

I hope I'm not confusing you.
    02-18-09 01:52 AM
    So, if I download the home and student version (that's the version I purchased) would that work the same way?

You aren't confusing me at all. You have actually been a huge help. Thank you

02-18-09 02:07 AM
    I'm pretty sure you ahve to do a network disc share from your other laptop to your NetBook. The pre-installed versions are the ones that have that universal code. The discs themselfs have the code embedded so people can't copy it. The Pre-installed one is impossible to copy because the installed components are spread all over the system.
    02-18-09 02:26 AM
    Not true. Discs do not have pruduct keys embedded in them. The key is tied to the edition. So, OP, the answer is yes, if you download the same version that you purchased, the key code will work.
    02-18-09 08:54 AM
    What get installed on brand new systems are oem versions of the software. The product key you have iis more than likely a device cal.

Now since you are not a bbusiness, you can not buy a cal because it requires you to buy more than 5.

If for some reason they used a user cal, then yes you can dl it from microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't send out disc anymore when purchasing oem licenseing.

Download it, try it. If it doesn't work you won't get flagged. If it does work, you won't get flagged.

However, if it doesn't work, buy an oem licence for office 07 and not a retail boxed product because its more exspensive.

Btw: I work for tiger direct.
    Buy an oem copy from them. Feel free to let me know if I confused you in any way.
    I work for tiger direct and talk to microsoft very often.

The answer to your question is yes.

02-18-09 09:08 AM
    Yes. It will work. Just type in the product key when it asks you to register. It'll recognize it. I seem to have done it too many times before for various reasons.
    03-20-09 08:02 AM
    You could also convert the CD to an ISO image. Load it onto a usb stick. And use daemon tools to mount it as a virtual disk. Would be faster I think than transfering over the network. Especially wireless.

03-20-09 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD