I know in the US, a holiday a a civic or religious day of observance (and frequently a day when persons are off work); and a time off work when one frequently travels is a vacation.

In the UK, what we call vacation here in the US is called a holiday.

Do persons in Commonwealth nations such as Canada, India and others use the term vacation or holiday to describe time off from work, frequently accompanied by travel?

Which countries' residents go on vacation, and which go on holiday?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    10-07-13 11:42 AM
    I use them interchangeably since I have lived in England, Canada and not in the US. I think though that Commonwealth nations tend to use holiday more.
    10-07-13 11:52 AM
    I think the commonwealth use the term holiday as vacation with the exception of Canada. North America uses the term vacation. Days like Christmas, Thanksgiving , Labour day which are designated day off sanction by laws, customs and culture is call holiday. The commonwealth would term these days as Public Holiday as oppose to private holiday.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-13 12:07 PM
    I think the commonwealth use the term holiday as vacation with the exception of Canada. North America uses the term vacation. Days like Christmas, Thanksgiving , Labour day which are designated day off sanction by laws, customs and culture is call holiday. The commonwealth would term these days as Public Holiday as oppose to private holiday.
    I'm Canadian, and I never use the word "vacation". It sounds like a foreign word to me.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-13 10:26 PM
    I know what a holiday is but what's a vacation? LOL

BlackBerry Z...my weapon of choice.
    Last edited by 3hb78ftg; 10-12-13 at 11:26 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-12-13 01:06 AM
    A vacation is when you take time off work, as in "I took a week of vacation and we're going camping". A holiday is something like Christmas. Some people use "holidays" as vacation, as in "i've already taken ally holidays, so I can't go camping", but nobody calls something like Christmas a vacation. Exception might be if you take extra time off work around Christmas, and go away, you might call that tour Christmas vacation.

I guess what bit boils down to is that government or workplace - mandated time off is a holiday, and time off of your choosing is a vacation.

Posted via CB10
    bryan newell likes this.
    10-12-13 09:14 AM
    Annual leave where I work going on holiday is an expression we use but often just describes time off work ie summer holidays, the Christmas holiday etc etc

Via my spangly Z30 BBM#27
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-12-13 12:47 PM
    it depends who i'm talking to,,, if i run into a European, Asian, or Auzzie, here, (U.S.), I'll sometimes ask if they're on holiday 'cuz i know that's the way they refer to it & it's familiar to them,,, the same goes if i misunderstand or don't hear what they say, i'll respond w/ "sorry?" vs. "what?",,, i guess this comes w/ the familiararity of other nations' that comes w/ worldwide travel...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-12-13 01:28 PM