Sure... except that its not that hard to run linux or windows on a non apple computer as fast as the day it was bought, even without reinstalling the OS.

Again, the exceptions, because they couldnt make it work, it doesnt work at all, right...
    All I meant was I have not had to mess with it at all. That was not the case with the non apple computers. But if you calln me non tech savvy makes you feel better than more power to ya. I mean we go way back right.....you know me so well and all......
    06-22-11 09:49 PM
    QNX is trash. I've worked as an engineer on both QNX and VXworks. They are both trash. Garbage. So far behind. You have to spend tons of time doing things from scratch where linux will do whatever, but it might be 1% slower, so you dial the nerd knob up to 10 on every little thing, you get a less capable system, and its fast and does basically nothing and has REALLY NASTY BUGS.

Best of luck with QNX, blackberry. It will fail. 100% sure.
    Shlooky likes this.
    06-22-11 11:03 PM
    QNX is trash. I've worked as an engineer on both QNX and VXworks. They are both trash. Garbage. So far behind. You have to spend tons of time doing things from scratch where linux will do whatever, but it might be 1% slower, so you dial the nerd knob up to 10 on every little thing, you get a less capable system, and its fast and does basically nothing and has REALLY NASTY BUGS.

Not likely. To all your statements.
    06-22-11 11:59 PM

It must be trash. That's why its been chosen as the OS to run the little moon rover they are going to send there. And run onstar, the canadarm and all the other things it runs. As far as I can tell it is going continue to do amazing things. If it were to fail it would have failed long ago.

Link to the blog post: http://m.crackberry.com/part-time-scientists-looking-take-qnx-moon-0
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Edit: added link
    Last edited by eKafara; 06-23-11 at 01:26 AM.
    Invader3K likes this.
    06-23-11 01:22 AM
    I think a lot of what has been said to be spot on but i also think that we could be missing the point a little. Just a thought but if RIM does the jobs with all of the updateds with the PB, why can't they do what apple has done in reverse. What i'm saying is that they continue working on the OS for the PB and port all of that work over to the handhelds. Look at it this way they can be working on the hardware now getting the chipset, memory, etc and just port the same software over to these devices with out having to do any of the hard coding that they have already done for the PB.

This would cut down on having to get the software approved by the carriers, as they are having to do now with the PB, all of the security would be there, ways to develop would be in place, and all they had to do was release the devices. This would help with speed to market, no. Although i do not think they have consider this but i think this would be the way to go. They could also use this time to nail down three main form factors that they wanted to stick with so to not have so many phones to support and have to get approved by carriers. just my .02
    06-23-11 02:11 AM
    Apple has just answered the OP's question. They are announcing the I-Phone5 in August, to release late August early September. This device has a dual core-A-5. Once more BB will release its newest devices into an ecosystem that is a year ahead of them. Dual core QNX devices will not be here for another year. The aanswer is No. No, by the time RIM releases its dual core, QNX phones, it will in all liklihood, not be enough.
    06-23-11 09:13 AM
    Nope.

By the time RIM releases QNX, the technology will already be at least six months behind everyone else. AGAIN.

Then they will look for the next latest and greatest thing they can release six months to a year after iOS and Android.
    06-23-11 10:53 AM
    RIM must past OS7 and go ahead to the QNX Phone Software, I think its the only way for them to save their company. Cheers!
    06-23-11 11:03 AM
    In that case, you are not just an average consumer, but also not tech-savvy. And you may easily ride on the playbook, ipad or any other tablet and your needs will be completely fulfilled.
    Wait, owning a Apple computer means you are not tech savvy?

I use to build my own Windows machines until I switched to Mac. If that is not considered tech savvy, I don't know what it.
    06-23-11 11:39 AM
    yea, with 10min battery life

Am tired of bad battery life on dual or quuad cores
    Have u read that they feature about 30% power improvement ?

06-23-11 12:46 PM
    Depends on the OS.
    A dual core QNX phone could be faster than a quad core Android phone and would have better battery life to boot.
    That's a lie
    If Andrioid is optimzed properly, and without any of skins e.g mmotoblur,htc sense
    On a quad core it wld bblow out qnx
    And the quad core chips have power reduction at around 30%

06-23-11 12:48 PM
    Specs are important, no doubt. However, the end user experience, as pointed out above, is what matters. The iPhone 4 is not all spec-ed out. However, the user experience is straight forward, and smooth. It works, very simply put. RIM doesn't need the highest of the highest specs. It needs to just put out the best phone period... which means specs, yes, but more so, it means software, a new OS, app development, and everything that a smart phone today is expected to be.
    When the iPhone 4 was out in 2010 it has almost the best specs ecept for 8mp to 5mp and they were not dual cores processor phones byy then until when in 2011 the lg optimus was announced
    The iPhone 5 in september would be outdated as it wld have a dual core A4 when in august we shall see the quad core kal el

06-23-11 12:56 PM
    That's a lie
    If Andrioid is optimzed properly, and without any of skins e.g mmotoblur,htc sense
    How many currently available devices does this describe? By my count, it's 1 device (the Nexus S) out of tens of devices. This makes what you described above the exception to the rule.

When the iPhone 4 was out in 2010 it has almost the best specs ecept for 8mp to 5mp and they were not dual cores processor phones byy then until when in 2011 the lg optimus was announced
    The iPhone 5 in september would be outdated as it wld have a dual core A4 when in august we shall see the quad core kal el
    One, I believe it's scheduled to be a dual-core A5, not A4.

Two, LG's devices can't be doing that well, since their last quarter reports established both a year-over-year and sequential quarterly decline in shipments. Consumers really don't care about specs.
    Last edited by Economist101; 06-23-11 at 01:18 PM.
    visceralberry likes this.
    06-23-11 01:13 PM
    That's a lie
    I think you might be confusing power reduction with power efficiency.

Quad Cores consume more power, but that power is more efficiently utilized (and only then if it's being used to its fullest potential).
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-23-11 at 02:16 PM.
    06-23-11 01:48 PM
    Dual Core - LTE - QNX

Make a phone with those 3 things RIM you will have a winner. Any phone that comes out before said phone will be a complete waste of time and money.

Of course one year from now when OS7 is posting dismal sale numbers the Co-CEO's will be looking at them with a dumbfounded expression... why? oh why?

Do us a favor CEO's, click on the OS7 icon on your desktop and drag it to that little trash can in the corner. Give us something innovative and the consumers and investors will return to RIM. If not, the trend will undoubtedly continue to the downside.
    06-23-11 02:37 PM
    I personally think RIM's comments about dual core are total BS. Great dual core chips are readily available, I think they are being dishonest. I think what they're really waiting for is more RAM. I think they haven't been able (or don't want to) optimize QNX for mobile phones by reducing the RAM it needs to run and all that, so they are waiting till they can achieve 1 gig of ram (that is affordable) and then just run it as it runs on the playbook, but on a smaller screen.

I could be wrong but I've read the QNX OS takes up a lot of RAM on the playbook? Someone can correct me if that isn't right.
    06-23-11 02:52 PM
    Most consumers have no idea about dual core, ghz, etc... they just know fast or slow.
    True, but don't forget that this is 21st century and even my grandmother has access to internet and everyone knows what google is. Also pretty much everyone knows how to compare specs...
    06-29-11 08:27 AM
    Average consumers dont buy high end computers. They stay in the low 400~1000 range, unless they are apple whores and of course they will waste money on overpriced apple machines.
    Call me an Apple ***** but my 3yr old Macbook Pro has never crashed on me and never had to reinstall the OS, it just works, while enjoying the build quality everytime I hold it.
    06-29-11 08:36 AM
    These android vs qnx arguments are tired. RIM will never be able to compete with android, and nobody that bailed from their BlackBerry to android is going to come back. RIM has to release the most stellar phone ever here to survive. My only question is when has anything rim released been on time, and when has anything ever not had problems

06-29-11 12:48 PM
    My fear is that when QNX phones do come out in 2012, who knows what the F will be "the standard" will be by then :/

07-04-11 03:18 AM
    That's a lie

OK you know it's a lie because you've tested your quad core android phone against a dual core QNX phone.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-04-11 at 08:40 AM.
    07-04-11 07:40 AM
    Call me an Apple ***** but my 3yr old Macbook Pro has never crashed on me and never had to reinstall the OS, it just works, while enjoying the build quality everytime I hold it.
    Wow really, my 7 year old dell p4 windows xp computer has never crashed on me and I the only reason I've reinstalled the OS on it was because I did try and use a lot of beta programs and was always testing something on it. Never once had a virus and my mother is still using it today with no problems as long as the grandkids stay off of it.
    07-04-11 07:47 AM
    Wow really, my 7 year old dell p4 windows xp computer has never crashed on me and I the only reason I've reinstalled the OS on it was because I did try and use a lot of beta programs and was always testing something on it. Never once had a virus and my mother is still using it today with no problems as long as the grandkids stay off of it.
    Same for me with my 11 year old P4 compaq evo d310v @ 1.8 GHZ

07-04-11 07:49 AM
    Its highly unlikely that the QNX phones will be out any later than 2012. RIM may take a LOT longer than the other manufacturers to update their products but I dont think theyre dumb enough to wait until 2013 to bring out their QNX phones. They already have QNX running on prototype phones. I understand it takes time to work out bugs but they already have the platform on the playbook, therefore it only needs to be tweaked to work on a phone. They rushed the Playbook out to market so RIM does realize that they have to keep up with the market.
    07-09-11 09:42 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD