Naturally a quad core phone would be faster
    Not necessarily. The iPhone does fine and it is not spec'ed like the newer Android phones. It is the high screen refresh it has that gives the feeling of snappiness using the device. I think RIM was wise to copy that in the latest devices (60 fps). I think that is all RIM really needs. The phones will feel fast and that is all that will matter when people play with them in the stores. And as some one has mentioned -- keeping the core count down helps the battery. If Android phones have quad cores, then they'll probably be sporting gigantic extended batteries sticking off the back.. lol.
    06-21-11 08:01 PM
    Totally agree, the average consumer doesn't care/understand what's in the box- just how the UI and hardware looks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And how it responds when they try it out.
    paolomusic likes this.
    06-21-11 08:02 PM
    Apps is all that matters, it isn't about speed or os, its about development, and QNX seems dead in the water to developers

You can have all the apps in the world but if they are slow and laggy well..........what do you read around here about bb?
    06-21-11 08:19 PM
    Apps is all that matters, it isn't about speed or os, its about development, and QNX seems dead in the water to developers

I don't disagree that Apps matter, but Speed does as well

QNX as a Playbook only development platform with a total of 2-4million units selling potential over 12 months, isn't going to attract gobs of developers, but as the launch date for QNX phones approaches, and the refinements and developer tools are available QNX could easily become another OS developers wish to build their apps for,

Especially if RIM assists them with quality porting tools from Android. because Android users don't buy apps as a group it seems, they go free or go without, Blackberry users, and iPhone users seem more willing to open their wallets, THAT is a reason for developers to develop for QNX when RIM finally makes it worth while with handsets.

As for Quadcore being faster than dual core?? ONLY when running 4 applications at once MIGHT that be the case, in actuality I suspect a Dual core system would run at a higher clock speed, and use less power for most mobilephone functions.
    wnyjackson and visceralberry like this.
    06-21-11 08:29 PM
    Hummm 2,000,000 times .99 per app equals 1,980,000. I wouldn't mind that kind of income.
    06-21-11 08:33 PM
    Not necessarily. The iPhone does fine and it is not spec'ed like the newer Android phones. It is the high screen refresh it has that gives the feeling of snappiness using the device. I think RIM was wise to copy that in the latest devices (60 fps). I think that is all RIM really needs. The phones will feel fast and that is all that will matter when people play with them in the stores. And as some one has mentioned -- keeping the core count down helps the battery. If Android phones have quad cores, then they'll probably be sporting gigantic extended batteries sticking off the back.. lol.
    Don't think so. If the OS and UI can utilize both cores properly, the power consumption will improve. It's already being seen in HTC's newest devices. If RIM can play catch up and have the QNX OS utilize the dual core, it should elevate the drain of a touchscreen device.
    06-21-11 08:43 PM
    It all depends on what their roadmap is, which is quite hard to tell if it'll be what was leaked, or something else muiiich different. Personally I don't care about cpu or ram, or storage. Consumers won't even give a care either about specs, since it's a phone more or less, with PC components, cramped into a very compact case with no fans and a battery.

Just being a geek here, I'm satisfied and not disappointed.

06-22-11 01:20 AM

Not if the app player for Android comes to the phones and becomes the main method of running 3rd party apps.
    06-22-11 01:37 AM
    Computers have basically reached a limit. For the average consumer, when they buy a new high end computer, they are buying a $2,000 emailing machine. With nothing left to truly improve on a computer other than making it more flashy, most people are simply wasting money on power and features they will never take advantage of.

By the time phones reach quad core processing, with reliable battery life, phones will have reached their limits too.
    06-22-11 03:47 PM
    If people aren't happy with the lack of apps for QNX-based Playbook, what's going to change once RIM trots out a belated QNX phone or two? By then, I suspect, as polls have shown time and again, many BB users will have already fled to greener shores. Android/iPhone combined sales are only going to get stronger with each passing day. ALso, with each passing day, more cities in the US will have 4G coverage, and Android has a head start there, also. RIM's in for some rocky times and my biased prognostication is that at the least, they get bought out by a larger fish. With their stock tanking, a buyout may make sense to the right suitor.
    06-22-11 03:58 PM
    Computers have basically reached a limit. For the average consumer, when they buy a new high end computer, they are buying a $2,000 emailing machine. With nothing left to truly improve on a computer other than making it more flashy, most people are simply wasting money on power and features they will never take advantage of.

By the time phones reach quad core processing, with reliable battery life, phones will have reached their limits too.
    Average consumers dont buy high end computers. They stay in the low 400~1000 range, unless they are apple whores and of course they will waste money on overpriced apple machines.
    06-22-11 04:07 PM
    Not if the app player for Android comes to the phones and becomes the main method of running 3rd party apps.
    People here are thinking that adding Android player is a piece of cake.
    Even if Android player is added, which version of Android will it run.
    If it is not running Honeycomb,then is it worth to even have android player on Playbook.
    There are many apps are not optimized for tablet and they look awful on Android tablet, just think how these apps will look on a tablet, which is not even supported by Google Android software.
    Tell me why will any one buy Playbook when they can buy a HTC Flyer,which is an official Honeycomb tablet and get all the proper apps of Android. The same argument can be there for Android phones vs QNX phones.

Running Android Gingerbread is not the solution for Playbook or the next QNX phones problems .
    06-22-11 04:09 PM
    Im going to have to agree... We'll be lucky if we see a QNX phone before Xmas 2012
    As a developer I can see them building on the version of QNX for playbook for the phones. The OS will be created and functionality would be patched up.

At that point its more of making the QNX OS talk to different hardware.

It's more like the idea of taking Apples iOS on the iPhone/iPod and putting on the iPad. Instead RIM is taking the QNX on the Playbook and throwing it on the phones.
    06-22-11 04:16 PM

I wouldn't say it is all that matters, but apps have a lot to do with it. Some users like myself rarely use apps (I have an iPhone, and all I really use is Facebook for an application).

But to answer your developer question, I am a developer and honestly I am waiting for the NDK.

I don't have the skill sets for AIR and not interested in starting.
    06-22-11 04:21 PM
    People here are thinking that adding Android player is a piece of cake.
    Even if Android player is added, which version of Android will it run.
    If it is not running Honeycomb,then is it worth to even have android player on Playbook.
    There are many apps are not optimized for tablet and they look awful on Android tablet, just think how these apps will look on a tablet, which is not even supported by Google Android software.
    Tell me why will any one buy Playbook when they can buy a HTC Flyer,which is an official Honeycomb tablet and get all the proper apps of Android. The same argument can be there for Android phones vs QNX phones.

Running Android Gingerbread is not the solution for Playbook or the next QNX phones problems .
    1. its android 2.3 which is basically all the phone apps/games
    2. Most do fine on the android tablets so while not optimized for tablets its better than getting NONE on the PB.
    3.The flyer is not running HC although it is said it will probably get updated to HC somewhere down the line.
    visceralberry likes this.
    06-22-11 04:40 PM
    Average consumers dont buy high end computers. They stay in the low 400~1000 range, unless they are apple whores and of course they will waste money on overpriced apple machines.
    I spent money on one of those "overpriced apple machines" as you state 5 years ago and it is running as fast as the day I bought it. No viruses no issues. The longest I ever got out of any pc was 3 years. So yes they are expensive but I would not go without it!
    06-22-11 06:16 PM
    Has nothing to do with specs. It has to do with quality. Right now RIM has neither
    06-22-11 06:18 PM
    I wouldn't say it is all that matters, but apps have a lot to do with it. Some users like myself rarely use apps (I have an iPhone, and all I really use is Facebook for an application).

But to answer your developer question, I am a developer and honestly I am waiting for the NDK.

Why is QNX dead in the water? It hasn't even gotten started up yet?
    06-22-11 06:19 PM
    I highly doubt QNX phones will be going on sale any time before the holiday season of 2012, if 2012 at all.
    i highly doubt you have a clue
    Jake Storm and visceralberry like this.
    06-22-11 06:22 PM
    I spent money on one of those "overpriced apple machines" as you state 5 years ago and it is running as fast as the day I bought it. No viruses no issues. The longest I ever got out of any pc was 3 years. So yes they are expensive but I would not go without it!
    In that case, you are not just an average consumer, but also not tech-savvy. And you may easily ride on the playbook, ipad or any other tablet and your needs will be completely fulfilled.

If you are a programmer, you have the skill set for any programming language, you just don't know the syntax, and i agree with you there, having to learn the syntax sometimes is a bit of a pain when moving from a language where you are proficient at.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-22-11 at 06:58 PM.
    06-22-11 06:53 PM
    QNX is still in its infancy - speculation of whether it will be successful or not, at this point in time, is like giving up on raising a child who is months old because you are afraid it will drop out of high school.

People are so jacked up on fear and speculation right now that if either were sold on the street in pill form, I'd consider becoming a drug dealer.
    06-22-11 06:54 PM
    In that case, you are not just an average consumer, but also not tech-savvy. And you may easily ride on the playbook, ipad or any other tablet and your needs will be completely fulfilled.
    I think that's an unfair assumption. I also own an Apple PC (MB Pro)... I am tech savvy to the extreme and I know exactly what jebulls means.

Back to the topic.
    06-22-11 07:54 PM
    I think that's an unfair assumption. I also own an Apple PC (MB Pro)... I am tech savvy to the extreme and I know exactly what jebulls means.

Back to the topic.
    Sure... except that its not that hard to run linux or windows on a non apple computer as fast as the day it was bought, even without reinstalling the OS.

Again, the exceptions, because they couldnt make it work, it doesnt work at all, right...
    06-22-11 08:14 PM
    Sure... except that its not that hard to run linux or windows on a non apple computer as fast as the day it was bought, even without reinstalling the OS.
    What are the steps?
    06-22-11 08:26 PM

I don't think it's an absolute waste to give phones/tables (mobile devices) that capability, and I think we'll at least see one by 2013. Honestly I see phones/mobile devices replacing; DVR, gaming systems, MP3 players, DVD players, GPS, remotes, etc...
    I mean there already making a Bluetooth v4.0 by the end of this year, filling the gap between mobile devices receiving/transferring live streaming. Most of the rest can be done over a wifi network, or maybe a type of a Mobile hotspot/NFC. Leaving tablets/netbooks replacing other forms of (stationary) stuff as well. I think we can see this done by 2015, as long as our world keeps spinning.

For now I hope BB begin rolling out bluetooth 4.0/NFC as a standard amongs their products (I'd hope before the end of 2012), and start getting more streaming/live apps to make that useful (such as: Netflix, video chat, online gaming, etc...).
    P.S. And yes I know... I do bring this up a lot, cause I want it...
    06-22-11 08:57 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD