16 24.62%
  • No on prop 8

45 69.23%
  • undecided

4 6.15%
03-01-09 10:42 PM
353 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I happen to be a gay male myself, but I know plenty of straight men and women who oppose proposition 8 and will be just as vocal about it as I am.
    he's so into his "book" he thinks one must be gay to be vocal about this issue. I'm openly out in saying Bible thumpers are the most ignorant bunch of people I have ever come across.

He still can't answer my questions about the bible because it forces him to see the real truth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-08 03:38 PM
    The point is, it isn't against the law. Period. End. The govenment needs to acknowledge and register gay unions/marriages because marriage is a human right, not a heterosexual privilage.
    Appealing to the law to justify what the law should be isn't going to convince anyone. "It isn't illegal therefore it shouldn't be illegal" is a poor argument.
    Marriage is a social ritual. Government recognition of it is not a right any more than government recognition of baptism is.

In that instance, you were forcing your lifestyle on others. LGBT people don't force others to be LGBT, we just want the same rights and privilages that are afforded to straight people.
    My smoking wasn't forcing my lifestyle on others any more than gay people force their ********** lifestyle on me. Those who don't want to inhale my secondhand smoke don't have to go to smoking facilities.

BTW, I'm now glad NYC banned smoking in public buildings. It helped me quit. An intrusive state is not always and everywhere a bad thing. That's why I don't think "the government has no right to stop people from..." is a particularly strong argument.
    Last edited by yeahman; 10-31-08 at 03:49 PM.
    10-31-08 03:39 PM
    he's so into his "book" he thinks one must be gay to be vocal about this issue. I'm openly out in saying Bible thumpers are the most ignorant bunch of people I have ever come across.

He still can't answer my questions about the bible because it forces him to see the real truth.

It's not that I can't answer your questions. I don't see the point. Will a valid explanation of my religious beliefs change your mind about anything? Not likely. So I choose not to waste my time or yours. You're welcome. Besides, this thread is about prop 8, not religion. If you're so interested, start a thread up of your own. I'm sure your views will go over well with the public.
    10-31-08 03:53 PM
    Appealing to the law to justify what the law should be isn't going to convince anyone. "It isn't illegal therefore it shouldn't be illegal" is a poor argument.
    Marriage is a social ritual. Government recognition of it is not a right any more than government recognition of baptism is.
    Your right marriage is a social ritual, but more than that it is a religious ritual. My opinion is for separation of church and state. That means that no judge should be allowed to perform a marriage ceremony. The only people who should be allowed to do marriage ceremonies are ordained ministers, like my father. If two people are religious, they should be able to get married, gay or straight. If they are not, whether you are gay or straight, then that is the place for a civil union.

However, until civil unions give the same rights and privilages that marriages do (which they currently do not, by the way), I will support gay marriage until the day I die, hopefully married to my life partner.
    10-31-08 04:00 PM
    Your right golf we will never agree on that issue so I will refrain from further discussions and stay on topic.

10-31-08 04:18 PM
    Your right marriage is a social ritual, but more than that it is a religious ritual. My opinion is for separation of church and state. That means that no judge should be allowed to perform a marriage ceremony. The only people who should be allowed to do marriage ceremonies are ordained ministers, like my father. If two people are religious, they should be able to get married, gay or straight. If they are not, whether you are gay or straight, then that is the place for a civil union.

However, until civil unions give the same rights and privilages that marriages do (which they currently do not, by the way), I will support gay marriage until the day I die, hopefully married to my life partner.
    Fair enough. On a purely practical level, I think the Right is going about it all wrong. They're fighting a losing battle. Instead of banning of gay marriage, they should refocus their energy to ban all government involvement in marriage.
    10-31-08 04:42 PM
    Many Years ago Blacks were viewed as inferior, not privileged enough to vote, become educated, or worship as do caucasians.

Were they Right?

No.

Many Years Ago, Women too were viewed as inferior, they weren't given the ability to vote, to become educated, or to even wear pants.

Were they Right?

No.

After years of time and education, you can finally see a difference.

I'm sure back then people viewed acceptance of African Americans and Women as "taboo" but thats not the case now.

What the Gays are Doing Now is what Black and Female empowerment groups were doing way back then.

We're just reluctant to view it that way, and as time goes by it will become something normal and accepted in the mainstream.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 10-31-08 at 04:45 PM.
    10-31-08 04:43 PM
    Does anyone here know what other states are doing regarding this issue? Is CA the first state going through this or have I missed the ship sailing by?
    10-31-08 04:50 PM
    Many Years ago Blacks were viewed as inferior, not privileged enough to vote, become educated, or worship as do caucasians.

Were they Right?

No.

Many Years Ago, Women too were viewed as inferior, they weren't given the ability to vote, to become educated, or to even wear pants.

Were they Right?

No.

After years of time and education, you can finally see a difference.

I'm sure back then people viewed acceptance of African Americans and Women as "taboo" but thats not the case now.

What the Gays are Doing Now is what Black and Female empowerment groups were doing way back then.

We're just reluctant to view it that way, and as time goes by it will become something normal and accepted in the mainstream.
    Who's saying that gays are inferior or shouldn't have the right to vote or become educated?
    10-31-08 05:08 PM
    Who's saying that gays are inferior or shouldn't have the right to vote or become educated?
    they are just citing an example of how gays are wanting to be accepted as full members of society with all the rights that everyone else enjoys.

10-31-08 05:35 PM
    Honestly who is it hurting if two men or women get married? Can someone answer this that does not want this allowed.

The one choice we all do have here is whether or not you let it bother you if it isn't your lifestyle. If it does bother you then why do you let it? I personally choose not to give a crap if two guys want to get married.

10-31-08 09:03 PM
    Honestly who is it hurting if two men or women get married? Can someone answer this that does not want this allowed.

The one choice we all do have here is whether or not you let it bother you if it isn't your lifestyle. If it does bother you then why do you let it? I personally choose not to give a crap if two guys want to get married.

Ok, Wally. I'll try to respond without heating things up. The whole reason it bothers me is due to the fact that if this prop does not pass, our kids schools will be teaching them about homosexuals. To what degree is unknown, however, to any degree is not acceptable in my book. For that reason, it bothers me. Not that two men or women are getting hitched. That along with that, my kids will be forced fed something I want to teach them about. When I feel they're ready. If I didn't have kids, I wouldn't give a crap either. But I do so I will care.
    11-01-08 03:04 AM
    Nut, I already mentioned schools are not going to be teaching the "gay" lifestyle. They are under local control and I know in my kid's school district, any administrator who advocated such a thing would be fired soon after suggesting it.

But to say kids won't know about it until we teach them would be naive. My son mentioned something about gays a few months ago, and I told him he had no idea what he was talking about. He responded, "Oh yes I do, Dad." Kids know these things -- just as we did when we were their age. Maybe you don't remember that far back , lol, but I do.
    11-01-08 04:09 AM
    My Brother and Sister [Twins] have known what the word gay means since they were Ten.

Chalk it up to their classmates- They Ruined The Secret Behind Santa, the Tooth Fairy, The Easter Bunny, and any other Secret Adults keep from them, Why would it be so shocking to think it's any different when it comes to the The Secret "G/H" Word?

Or Even Better, The BoobTube- Things Like MTV's Real World/Road Rules Explained to me what Gay was even before I knew about sex.

Innocent things on TV point towards Human Sexuality at such a frequent rate that we barely even think twice about it.

It's naive to think that teaching/promoting anything in school will hurt/harm children since it's "already been in the water" for so long already.

Remember, We Don't teach Sex-Ed to convince students to become nymphomaniacs.

We Teach them so that they can understand, and become educated in the choices that they make.

Whichever they may be.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 11-01-08 at 11:55 AM.
    11-01-08 09:50 AM
    Ok, Wally. I'll try to respond without heating things up. The whole reason it bothers me is due to the fact that if this prop does not pass, our kids schools will be teaching them about homosexuals. To what degree is unknown, however, to any degree is not acceptable in my book. For that reason, it bothers me. Not that two men or women are getting hitched. That along with that, my kids will be forced fed something I want to teach them about. When I feel they're ready. If I didn't have kids, I wouldn't give a crap either. But I do so I will care.
    golf for the last time stop trying to pass on false information. Your kids are not going to be taught about gay anything in school. Don't you see its all bs. This is a pattern with you. For a father your pretty damn ignorant of a lot of things.

So for the last time quit spreading false information. They already have made the prop confusing enough with regards to NO vote means YES to gay marriage without a uninformed Bible thumper posting incorrect info

11-01-08 11:15 AM
    For balloon and anyone else who wants to read it for themselves, here is one site that describes the effects of Prop 8. I can't cut & paste yet so here is the address: California Proposition 8 - Get the Facts on Prop. 8 . It clearly states that schools will teach about it.
    11-01-08 12:00 PM
    I guess I can cut & paste after all!
    11-01-08 12:01 PM
    i am for gay marriage. i voted in favor. i'm not sure the proposition number was the same in Florida, but i saw it on the ballot!

Is every state voting on this issue?

Last edited by chrisy520; 11-01-08 at 12:13 PM.
    11-01-08 12:03 PM
    That website reeks of Bigoted Biased BS.
    11-01-08 12:08 PM
    That website reeks of Bigoted Biased BS.
    No it doesn't. If you or anyone else here disagrees, clue me in on your source so we can read it. Otherwise, it is what it is.
    11-01-08 12:25 PM
    i am for gay marriage. i voted in favor. i'm not sure the proposition number was the same in Florida, but i saw it on the ballot!

Is every state voting on this issue?

I've been looking it up and can't find anything on it. I asked the same ? earlier in the thread but have not got an answer. Maybe CA is the only one?
    11-01-08 12:29 PM
    I've been looking it up and can't find anything on it. I asked the same ? earlier in the thread but have not got an answer. Maybe CA is the only one?
    no, like i stated, i voted on it here in Florida. i can't recall the prop number though. that is odd. let me know if you find the answer! i'm curious now!
    11-01-08 12:34 PM
    Same sex marriage should be allowed. Its not gonna make anyone turn gay by learning about it. Its the chemical makeup of their brain that is a little bit different.
    However, who knows if they will teach there kids to like same sex or be their own person.

11-01-08 12:43 PM
    No it doesn't. If you or anyone else here disagrees, clue me in on your source so we can read it. Otherwise, it is what it is.
    Just because its the only source- Doesn't make it unbiased.
    11-01-08 12:45 PM
    Prop. 8 backers fear teaching of gay marriage | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Pretty unbiased article here.

Perhaps a class in TOLERANCE is needed.
    11-01-08 12:47 PM
353 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD