Most marines aren't the brightest people in the world, but as a former marine I make that statement. Why you may ask? Because I believe it as the truth. I do not enjoy people that refuse to see the truth, don't be blinded people...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-08 11:51 PM
    Take japan for example, teachers get paid very respectably so it attracts a smarter more talented group of people. Why is this concept lost on you people? Please without getting angry read through my post and think about it logically, it makes perfect sense. Until the requirements are harder to become a teacher, and until the pay increases it won't attract the best people.

10-15-08 11:54 PM
    Teachers Rock, and they deserve a lot of respect for the many roles they have, they are educators for one, they inspire these young minds to want to and enjoy knowledge, and in some school districts teachers have to be the disciplinarian, that authoriative figure/role model that a child may lack in their home enviroment.

On a side note -- Why did McCain frequently refer to Palin�s experience with an �autistic� child when her child actually has Down syndrome??? Doesnt that flub support the claim that he really doesnt know her
    So the original poster bashes the men and women that die for our country and I say you don't have to be smart to be a teacher and I catch the heat, oh brother...

Sometimes I wonder why I even care

I absolutely did not bash those who serve in the military. Please show me the exact comment in my original post that bashed them? And when u r done wasting your time looking for something you will never find. How about responding to the beating I gave you on your original 5th grade math comment.

I am so glad you're back Vinnie!!

10-15-08 11:55 PM
    Most marines aren't the brightest people in the world, but as a former marine I make that statement. Why you may ask? Because I believe it as the truth. I do not enjoy people that refuse to see the truth, don't be blinded people...

i will refute that a marine is a marine...dont sell your self short...
    10-15-08 11:56 PM
    You stated military men and women were less qualified, less qualified than what? All it takes to become a teacher is a piece of paper. Is the military schooling they went through less valuable?

10-15-08 11:57 PM
    ok let's stop right here and I will post a single statement and let everyone evaluate and react

10-15-08 11:59 PM
    People generally go where money is

10-15-08 11:59 PM
    You stated military men and women were less qualified, less qualified than what? All it takes to become a teacher is a piece of paper. Is the military schooling they went through less valuable?

I asked for exactly. I did not say what you said I did above. It is very clear to me you have absolutely no idea what it takes to be a teacher. The best advice I could give to you is to go spend a day at your local elementary school. Guarantee you will change your tune.

10-16-08 12:02 AM
    agreed, however a marine is still a marine...regardeless of MOtC
    10-16-08 12:02 AM
    Hello vinnie and your complacent minions. You, myself and every citizen of America and the world...is ready to see a new chapter in history in three weeks.

We've come far; and will only go further to tear away the cloak of drudgery, fear and despair...the collective intelligence, angst and strength of Americans has had enough of the very few making a debacle out of the lives of the masses.
    10-16-08 12:03 AM

I'm a former Marine also Vinnie but by the same token I can't by all means understand why you would stereotype most Marines as not being the brightest people in the world!! Are you speaking from SELF EXPERIENCE???

10-16-08 12:15 AM
    The best advice I could give to you is to go spend a day at your local elementary school. Guarantee you will change your tune.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

As I've said before, my hats off to you!! I couldn't do what you could in that occupation. And it's not because I'm A FORMER MARINE VINNIE!!!

10-16-08 12:21 AM
    Apollo you of all people should know most guys join the service because they have no future

Well I could have taken it better had you said SOME and not MOST. When you say MOST, to me that sounds like 3 quarters of the Marines or people in the Military. What you do fail to realize is that people still join even if they have a bright future. It's not always because they don't have a future Vinnie. Granted, yes, I will agree that sometimes that is the case but you're making it sound like an epidemic of some sort. Now in an odd sort of way, you may have given some people that read these posts that you and I or other people in the Military and namely the MARINES, that we didn't have a future. Next you'll be saying all the men and women who died in the Military didn't matter because they had no future in the first place!! You just have to watch how you write things Vinnie because the way you write them they can be so easily misunderstood!!

10-16-08 12:42 AM
    Apollo you of all people should know most guys join the service because they have no future

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the whole "No future" comment. That is far from the truth. I went into the service str8 outta high school. I wanted to be in Law Enforcement and knew joining the military would give me the life experience and discipline that an 18 year old kid needs.... The military provided me with the skills and discipline i needed... Spent 8 years in the Air Force..

Just my two cents..
    10-16-08 12:47 AM
    Apollo and others; here's my contribution to what I think about why people join the sector of service they do for this country. However, there is no singular cookie cutter mold to it all.

No, people don't join because they have a lower I.Q. than that of George W. Bush. One of the main reasons is because often times there has been a history of service in the lineage through generations of these servicemen/women...so it's the conversion of the sense of duty, honor and love for the country that drives many to serve.

Another very real; and big reason...is the avenue to have paid education down the road; and/or creating doors for future job and career opportunities by being able to put down on one's resume...the skills set acquired through service.

Money earned while in service definitely isn't the motive...it's not like you see too many active personnel driving around Corvette ZO6's or anything. That is why a volunteer-based congregation of service men and women are usually the most driven. If the discipline, experience and knowledge gained while in service...is implemented in an efficient and effective manner; whether it be in an individual's life, or the lives of others...that's when being in service can be a smart (albeit potentially risky) investment. However if the opposite is one's reality...that's when the maximum benefit of service is sadly not realized.
    10-16-08 01:01 AM
    Apollo and others; here's my contribution to what I think about why people join the sector of service they do for this country. However, there is no singular cookie cutter mold to it all.

No, people don't join because they have a lower I.Q. than that of George W. Bush. One of the main reasons is because often times there has been a history of service in the lineage through generations of these servicemen/women...so it's the conversion of the sense of duty, honor and love for the country that drives many to serve.

Another very real; and big reason...is the avenue to have paid education down the road; and/or creating doors for future job and career opportunities by being able to put down on one's resume...the skills set acquired through service.

Money earned while in service definitely isn't the motive...it's not like you see too many active personnel driving around Corvette ZO6's or anything. That is why a volunteer-based congregation of service men and women are usually the most driven. If the discipline, experience and knowledge gained while in service...is implemented in an efficient and effective manner; whether it be in an individual's life, or the lives of others...that's when being in service can be a smart (albeit potentially risky) investment. However if the opposite is one's reality...that's when the maximum benefit of service is sadly not realized.

Well put.. I didnt mention my father was also in the service and retired with honors...
    10-16-08 01:04 AM
    Never said they wouldn't make something of themselves in the service. I meant without the military they would be working a job making 11 dollars an hour.

10-16-08 01:33 AM
    Honestly, I have seen some of the brightest and dullest bulbs enlisted in the ranks of all branches of the military. But then again, I think thats the case with every group. There are some good, some bad, and a bunch in the middle. As such, I don't think that it makes sense to simply have anyone who has served in the military become instantly eligible to teach K-12. Similarly, I don't think anyone who has completed a non-teaching degree would be capable of doing the same. I have a bachelors degree in philosophy, but I don't know the first think about what it would take to teach a 5th grader about arithmetic or science. As many others have said, its not about having knowledge of a subject, but knowing the different tools that effective teachers have to impart that knowledge to someone else.

I agree wholeheartedly that our teachers need to be paid more and have better benefits, but at the same time, with the improved pay and benefits should come additional accountability. We need to have the best teachers to have the best education system. By creating the proper incentives (money, prestige, respect, etc) we will be able to recruit and retain the best and brightest who will develop the next generation of bright minds.

Back to the topic of the debate, I think that one of the best pieces of analysis I heard was a comparisson made between Gore and McCain, people were seriously put-off by Gore's look of distain when GW would answer questions in debates... this really worked against him as it may with McCain. He looks like a grumpy old man who is just tolerating all these whippersnappers buzzing around him... But hey thats just my $.02 ... on the fly at 530am lol
    10-16-08 07:30 AM
    Back to the debate. I found interesting the whole discourse on Bill Ayers. After challenging Obama to explain the relationship as well as Acorn, Obama did so giving the say consistent story he always had. Then McCain responded by saying he didn't care about Ayers personally or what he did 40 years ago, but the American people deserve a full explanation of the relationship. Well gee John he just did that.

I kept hoping that Obama would follow and say "Senator McCain, I just gave a full explanation of my relationship with Bill Ayers. Unless you know something that you're not sharing with the American people, I don't know what else I can add." I'm glad he didn't, because I think it can be a good comment use out on the stump.
    10-16-08 08:21 AM
    It is painfully obvious from Vinnie's contribution to this thread that when challenged with irrefutable information, he will ignore the reponse to his ignorant (not knowing) comments and move on to annoy someone else. He made several comments on this thread that I provided clear examples that he simply ingored. He instead decided to annoy another poster.

I am taking bets on how soon his next ban will be. WHEN he does get banned again, I will start a petition to make it a permanent ban.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE a good debate but what I see Vinnie doing on this thread is him simply being anti (for the sake of being anti) until he is called on it, then him moving to someone or something else!!!!!
    10-16-08 08:43 AM
    just some thoughts. i did not get a chance to see the debate last night, but was mccains comment regarding the education directed at military people teaching in regular public/private schools, or teaching military class/military schools?

also, as far as i know, there is more money to be made by teachers teaching in the public sector compared to the private sector.

i attended private school most of my life, and most of the teachers we got were ones that had just graduated college, and could not get a job in the public sector. so because of this, they woudl take a job at a private/catholic school, work there for a few years, and then switch to public as soon as possible in order to make more dough. any thoughts on this?
    10-16-08 08:54 AM
    just some thoughts. i did not get a chance to see the debate last night, but was mccains comment regarding the education directed at military people teaching in regular public/private schools, or teaching military class/military schools?

also, as far as i know, there is more money to be made by teachers teaching in the public sector compared to the private sector.

i attended private school most of my life, and most of the teachers we got were ones that had just graduated college, and could not get a job in the public sector. so because of this, they woudl take a job at a private/catholic school, work there for a few years, and then switch to public as soon as possible in order to make more dough. any thoughts on this?
    He was referring to public school. It was part of his solution to many problems facing education, he also talked about vouchers and school choice.
    10-16-08 09:03 AM
    Please stop thinking with your emotions people. I never stated that there weren't bright people in the service, but the majority of enlisted men and women in the military didn't have a ton of options other than the military

10-16-08 09:27 AM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD