Hi there.
    One of my friends keeps going on about how he's got a well-off family and it's now been reinforced by the fact that his father's got a brand new Porsche Cayenne S, how it's so much faster than other cars its size, perfectly tuned engine, so luxurious etc. I thought I could put him in his place by showing him a video of your average people carrier/SUV, a GMC Yukon XL with a big block 8.1L engine and just a few more modifications, keeping up with a Porsche Cayenne S on a straight road. The Yukon XL didn't accelerate as fast, but it caught up to the Cayenne S and stayed pretty much next to each other for the length of the video. It made him get angry and complained that we live in the UK so no GMCs count. I don't think that's the point of the matter. I just don't think he can take it that a car in larger size, used more as a utility vehicle, has been able to be about on par with his father's 'oh so over glorified' Porsche.

Sorry about the rant, not many people I know, know my frustration with boasters, just would like to see what others think here. And come on, not even I knew a Yukon XL, which is years older, was able to be THAT good against a Cayenne S!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 07:50 PM
    Straight line? Sure. Track type of situation, the GMC couldn't of stood a chance. The Porsche is a sports car in a, SUV body. or you match CC for CC in the two the porsche made more BHP per CC.

01-15-11 09:41 PM
    There are video's of smart cars beating Lambo's in strait line runs, it is "easy" to mod a car to go fast in a strait line,
    Add a corner into the mix. That is the design of the car,

The Porche Cayenne S is amazing as an performance sport UV it can go 90,000km on a single Oil change and the oil looks better than my F250 at 10,000km

01-17-11 09:32 AM
    LOL Porsche vs GMC.

Thanks for that.
    01-18-11 03:15 PM
    who is this "prada" stranger??
    01-18-11 04:05 PM
    The vehicles are just different. There is a lot that goes into making a Porsche a Porsche and the GMC won't hold a candle to it. If I were to buy a Porsche, it wouldn't be so tall or heavy, that's for sure.
    01-20-11 10:53 AM
    You realize that the base Cayenne and that yukon aren't far off in price right? I've looked at both.

That said, both vehicles have a place. You aren't pulling a 25 foot enclosed job trailer with a Cayenne and you aren't shredding corners with the Yukon. Yeah the Yukon will be quick off the line. That's a ton of power and very low gearing. Let that run go past 100mph and watch the Porsche keep going.

My Volvo is the same in that respect. Not much off a light but pulls dead smooth well over 145.

01-20-11 11:18 AM
    I would like to see the video myself of the Yukon even beating it in a straight line. It would take a ton of work for that big *** Yukon to catch up to the much lighter/faster Porsche.

I call shenanigans...

01-20-11 02:43 PM
    Porsches are great for picking up chicks and convincing your friends that you're gay.
    JK, Porsches are cool. But I'm more of an American Muscle kinda guy.
    01-20-11 05:39 PM
    01-21-11 09:20 AM
    Porsches and GMCs should not be talked about in the same sentence. Those two cars are built for completely different purposes. The porsche cayenne s is built as a family "suv" with great performance skills. The gmc yukon is built as a "utility" vehicle as someone said before. Put those two on a track and the GMC would not only not be able to keep up with the cayenne s but it would probably lose control while trying to make a few sharp turns. The only reason the yukon has such a big 8.2l engine is because of its huge size....if a v6 would be put into it, the car would barely even move. So overall...the cayenne s is a faster car and better performance wise. Any degenerate can go up to 100mph and higher in a straight line, and of cource break back to 0.

Last edited by ericinbk1; 01-21-11 at 10:49 AM.
    01-21-11 10:46 AM
    Wait, so you mean to tell me I made a poor choice picking my Range Rover over the Cayenne?!?!?

Seriously, in 2008 when I was deciding between cars it was between the Cayenne, and a Range Rover.

PS- I <3 my Range Rover.
    01-21-11 11:31 AM
    who is this "prada" stranger??
    Not sure....

PS I think you may have fallen through the cracks during my quarterly phone number change...
    01-21-11 11:34 AM
    LOL Porsche vs GMC.

Thanks for that.
    What I was thinking...
    01-23-11 09:18 AM