Kid- you're right about your rights. While I don't agree with your use of them, you still have a right to them. That teacher could be fired for what he is doing.
    10-17-08 08:52 AM
    Bingo.....
    that contributed absolutely nothing...and @ the woman/man you were quoting...yes this is an attention stunt, i want the attention of people on this board to know what problems and injustices are still happening today
    10-17-08 08:54 AM
    Well I don't know about that FREE education system. Heck I have to pay some ridculous "fees" for my children to go to public school. I remember when school was free except for lunch and field trips!!! Gosh those were the days....
    there are fees here too but they are pretty minimal
    10-17-08 08:58 AM
    hipkikk continue to do what you are doing and don't let anyone tell you that it's wrong! It is because of these type of challenges that good people come out to better the world, here you have a perfect example of one of them. Hopefully one day people will not be so quick to judge before the understand the trueth! It is real clear that you are not a spoiled kid and clearly have a great head on your shoulder's. it took a lot of courage to put this post up and to be able to back your beliefs regardless of what anyone has been saying. I for one commend you and back you up 100%!
    10-17-08 08:58 AM
    Oh brother, it took a ton of courage to post behind a computer?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-08 09:00 AM

alot of people show their true selves online, rather than hide or bite their tongue had i said it face to face
    10-17-08 09:03 AM
    Lol @ vinnie. And op no matter how stupid or selfserving I feel ur post is its ur right to say it. Just remember its all of our rights to say how stupid we feel it is. That is until freedom of speach becomes "offensive" and u try and have us thrown in jail for it.

10-17-08 09:06 AM
    Your oh so rebellious hipkik, next you should wear really tight jeans and part your hair over one eye....

10-17-08 09:09 AM
    I have to say that I am amazed at the tone of some of the posts in this thread. It's one thing to disagree with the OP and his actions, and/or support the actions of his teacher. Quite another to threaten bodily harm or browbeat the poster through ones comments.

It speaks volumes to how civility in our society has degraded. In some ways this thread mirrors the furor surrounding the build up to the Iraq war, when anyone who dared to question the administration, or the need for or rationale for the war were labeled as unpatriotic, treasonous or worse. Now in the light of clear thinking, we have seen how great a mistake this is, and a majority of Americans say the war is a mistake (and no, It is not my intention to debate the war, only to provide an example, so if you are going to respond on that issue, start another thread).

I think the OP should be commended for thinking for himself, whether I agree with him or not, which I do. Instead of punishing him, the teacher should have done something like assignment him to write a report on why he does not want to say the pledge.

In a general sense, there is no loyalty oath in the country. Not saying the pledge is as valid an expression of opinion about our country as saying it. It does not reflect negatively on anyone, save those who intend to do actual physical harm to the country.
    10-17-08 09:10 AM

as a kid yes it did! here this is suppossed to be a community of bb lovers who can chat about anything and yet here is proof that people still cannot value other people's thaughts, beliefs, and feelings. don't get me wrong I strongly support our troops and what they do but yet on the other hand I don't agree with how things are here in the great old U.S. of A! there's that old saying before you can help some one else make sure the home is taken care of first!

like I said before, Before you start to say anything negative ask him why he feels the wasy he feels and try to get a better understanding maybe there is something that he is not seeing or better yet maybe there is something that he is seeing or has been through that none of use know about to make him feel the way that he does!
    10-17-08 09:11 AM
    courage is risking your life at 18 for your country, not posting on an anonymous internet forum with no fear of recourse...

hope this helps
    10-17-08 09:16 AM
    courage is risking your life at 18 for your country, not posting on an anonymous internet forum with no fear of recourse...

hope this helps
    courage is what you make it, and standing up for your right's and beliefs falls right in that catagory!
    10-17-08 09:18 AM
    posting on a forum doesn't take courage...
    10-17-08 09:22 AM
    neither does throwing your life away. Risking your life @ 18 is not courageous (of course thats imo) but telling the government to shove it, throw me in jail does
    ADD
    how i decide to dress is very irrelevant....
    Last edited by Hipkik; 10-17-08 at 09:29 AM.
    10-17-08 09:27 AM
    he felt as if he could vent on the forum hense if you read the first post from him he says vent! but as normal people over look the point and jump on the bandwagon. how would you feel if some one tried to make you do something that you strongly dissagree with? and better yet they turn around and do something to you that could affect your well being!
    10-17-08 09:27 AM
    I dont care if he wants to vent, but YOU said it took courage. I am pointing out it in fact does not take courage...
    10-17-08 09:30 AM
    I dont care...
    then why take the time to post?
    10-17-08 09:37 AM
    I can�t believe that thread is still going on.
    Well here it my .02 cents�.
    If the kid does not want to say it, I believe he should not say it.
    At least he is not being rude while everybody else is saying it. The teacher has nothing else better to do than pick on him. Teacher thinks he is going to scare the kid by not grading his work. That�s just going to bring issue on the school. I hope by this time you informed your parents on what�s going on.
    Good luck Kid!!
    10-17-08 09:50 AM
    I can�t believe that thread is still going on.
    Well here it my .02 cents�.
    If the kid does not want to say it, I believe he should not say it.
    At least he is not being rude while everybody else is saying it. The teacher has nothing else better to do than pick on him. Teacher thinks he is going to scare the kid by not grading his work. That�s just going to bring issue on the school. I hope by this time you informed your parents on what�s going on.
    Good luck Kid!!
    unfortunately i haven't told my parents yet...our school is in enough trouble as it is, i will talk to them over the weekend
    10-17-08 09:56 AM
    I know my post specifically mentioned his right to free speech. He has every right to be a malcontent with no understanding or respect for "WHY" those freedoms are available to him.

I have every right not to respect someone who at his very young age does not love, respect and appreciate his country and the freedoms he enjoys.

His parents should have taught him better.
    Yes, you have the right to not respect him, but not to attack him. (Not saying you did, just saying people in general.)
    Hipkik it is your first ammendment right not to say the pledge, yes. Do I agree with you? No. I think you are probably a young idealist who has yet to experience the world. When you get older you will come to appreciate the freedoms you have in this country.
    Vinnie, I thought this summed it up very well and was quite eloquent.
    Not wanting to say the Pledge is ridiculous and pathetic!!!
    And attacking a kid is twice as bad.

I lost my original post, but I completely disagree with the OP, but he does have the right to make that choice, and I don't have the right to attack him.

One great example that comes to my mind is Rick Monday, when he pulled the American flag from the people who were going to burn it. If you haven't seen it, YouTube it. People have the right to burn the flag, thanks to people like Vinnie who fought for and then defended our rights. But people like Rick Monday have the right to stop the flag burners in a peaceful way.
    10-17-08 09:59 AM
    unfortunately i haven't told my parents yet...our school is in enough trouble as it is, i will talk to them over the weekend
    I maybe a bad parent...oh well where has I don't agree with the teacher's actions and threats I can see what he is trying to do. If I were your parents I would be exploring the reason why you feel the way you do.

Have you even given a clear definite reason why you choose not to say the Pledge? There is a reason why people do things....there is always a reason. What is yours for not doing?
    10-17-08 10:03 AM
    If he were my kid and he came to me and told me he was "forced" to say the pledge, his teacher would be getting an earful and a visit. As for my son, he would be getting my hand across the back of his head for disrespecting our country...
    10-17-08 10:06 AM
    I maybe a bad parent...oh well where has I don't agree with the teacher's actions and threats I can see what he is trying to do. If I were your parents I would be exploring the reason why you feel the way you do.

Have you even given a clear definite reason why you choose not to say the Pledge? There is a reason why people do things....there is always a reason. What is yours for not doing?
    I can respect the way you are coming at this jedi (the force is strong in this one!) sorry need a joke to smothing things out in here, I for one agree with him but at least you are going about it the right way it's ok to have different beliefs it's not ok to attack people for them!
    10-17-08 10:10 AM
    Yes, you have the right to not respect him, but not to attack him. (Not saying you did, just saying people in general.)

Vinnie, I thought this summed it up very well and was quite eloquent.

And attacking a kid is twice as bad.

I lost my original post, but I completely disagree with the OP, but he does have the right to make that choice, and I don't have the right to attack him.

One great example that comes to my mind is Rick Monday, when he pulled the American flag from the people who were going to burn it. If you haven't seen it, YouTube it. People have the right to burn the flag, thanks to people like Vinnie who fought for and then defended our rights. But people like Rick Monday have the right to stop the flag burners in a peaceful way.
    I attack him? I didn't call him out of is name (username) I didn't bash his parents. Never said he was an *****. He as the right...I don't think he is right!!Nor do I think he understands exactly what the Pledge is supposed to represent.
    10-17-08 10:11 AM
    you have every right not to say it! Your teacher is their to teach, not to force you to say you love the country your in!

And because someone has been in iraq for a year, doesn't mean they fought for your rights! They fought to free another country, your rights where given to you from the birth of this country! Not one war since has been about protecting yours rights! They have been about globe gain!

Good luck with the parents!

10-17-08 10:11 AM
165 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD