Hi everyone,

I will be running the Bristol 10K on 11th May in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support, and it would mean the world to me if any of you were willing to pledge sponsorship.

I'm sure most of you have been affected by cancer in some way, but here is our story:

My mother tragically passed away on 23rd December. We lost her to bowel cancer that had spread rapidly throughout her body.

She had already been suffering from Parkinson's disease from early 2005, but she did not allow this to get in the way of her enjoyment of life. Even as the Parkinson's developed, she battled hard and remained active.

Then in 2010, she was diagnosed as having bowel cancer. The cancer was already quite advanced, and her prognosis was not good. Despite her weakened state as a result of Parkinson's, my mum underwent an intensive round of radiotherapy. She was briefly given the all-clear, but we then discovered that the cancer had returned and spread aggressively once more. My mother, by now very weak, felt that she could not undergo further treatment.

In her final year, my mother also struggled with dementia, which is a common side-effect of advanced Parkinson's. She required 24 hour care. My father, also a cancer sufferer, was tasked with the 24 hour job of looking after her day and night, often having no sleep at all and becoming exhausted. The NHS were only able to help him a couple of days a week.

In my mum's final months, the required care became too much even for my father. My mother was put in hospital, but the constant care required and shortage of beds meant that she would not be able to stay there. My mother was also dreadfully unhappy - she was lost and confused, and wanted to return home.

Macmillan Cancer Support stepped in. My mother returned home in her final weeks, and my father looked after her during the day. But every evening, Macmillan Cancer Support would provide a support nurse to stay with my mother at her bedside throughout the evening and night, giving my exhausted father a chance to rest and sleep.

Macmillan stayed with her right to the end.

I don't usually do things like this, but the help that they provided touched me profoundly. I want to give them something back, whatever that might be, to help them to be able to continue doing what they do.

Donations can be made here:

Virgin Money Giving | Fundraising | William Tinker's Bristol 10K

Whether you are able to donate or not, thank you very much for reading this.

Will (Deckard79)
    03-30-14 09:54 AM
    Small donation made! Good luck with your run.
    03-30-14 11:27 AM
    Small donation made! Good luck with your run.
    That's really kind of you - thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 11:55 AM
    That's really kind of you - thanks

Posted via CB10
    I said no on that GiftAid thing since I'm from the US, and I was pretty sure it did not apply to me.
    Deckard79 likes this.
    03-30-14 12:15 PM
    I said no on that GiftAid thing since I'm from the US, and I was pretty sure it did not apply to me.
    No complaints at all - you sponsored me and that's brilliant!

Now, just need to get a bit fitter. Have been training a couple of weeks now (started from zero) and can run about a mile and a half at a reasonable pace. Going to need another five miles. And want to get a good time... don't like doing anything without good commitment

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 12:23 PM
    Bump! Come on kind BlackBerry fans, don't be shy!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 01:30 PM
    Bump! Come on kind BlackBerry fans, don't be shy!

Posted via CB10
    I just sent out a tweet
    04-03-14 12:13 PM
    Appreciated, thank you! Have managed to get a bit more sponsorship over the past day so that's encouraging.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 02:22 PM