Thanks for coming and reading our thread! We have 2 daughters both long legged and we need to trade in our nissan versa due to warranty going out and don't want any costly problems. The 3 cars we have been trying to research are:
    Toyota Matrix
    Pontiac Vibe
    Mazda3 5 door
    Does anyone have an opinion on these cars? We may go test drive them today but would love to have some fellow crackberrians advice. You can add me to bbm or my wife and let us know or reply back here.
    Thanks
    Mine pin:319fd5aa
    Wifes 31838356

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 07:51 AM
    It comes down to your opinion of the car because you will be driving the car. IMHO I would go with the mazda 3. Overall its a nice car comes with good features, drives nice & and is comfy to ride in.
    11-13-08 10:29 AM
    +1 on the Mazda 3....2 of my friends have them and they really awesome cars! But I'm also biased tho....I dont know anyone with either the Matrix or Vibe. Good luck!
    11-13-08 10:47 AM
    Toyota is no. 1 in sales. they have very dependable cars. I've been on a Matrix, and it seems like a comfortable car. Mind you I've been driving 4 cyl cars for the last 14 years. I'm just about two inches short of 6', and I sat in the back with no problem. Since toyota is so popular, check on insurance, 'cause that's how insurance gets you, statistics. They are popular cars and there's a lot of them out there. Gas milage is decent. I don't think you could go wrong with any Toyota model.

The pontiac, well, it's a pontiac. IMO, any american car that is not a truck or an 8 cyl, it's junk. In most cases they will be cheap to insure, since their book value drops faster than a dress on prom night.

The Mazda is a very under rated car. They're good on handling, I love their suspension. The Mazda 3 doesn't seem like a bad car, they have been getting nice to decent reviews.
    They are in bed with Ford, but I'm not sure if they're just bringing them in or actually have any involvement in the manufacturing. their models were very similar and most parts interchanchable back in the mid to late 90's. Don't know enough about them now to make an intelligent comment.
    11-13-08 10:00 PM
    The vibe and matrix were originally built on the same platform...i don't know if that is still true to this day, but it might be worth researching. B/c if you can buy the poncho for cheaper than the matrix b/c of the name on the front you might want to lean that way.

Overall the 3 cars, i like the 3 personally...i've driven all three cars and the 3 is by far the funner car to drive. You might actually be losing space from the versa to the 3, but the finish of the 3 is just gonna be nicer.

oh and get the mazdaspeed 3...just because you're getting a new family car doesn't mean it can't be fun.
    11-13-08 10:59 PM
    Tanks for all your input! We went and looked at the mazda 3 I sat in the drivers seat and my head was touching the headliner and sunroof even with the seat partially leaned back. I however am 6'6" tall. So as much as I liked the styling and looks the height thing has to rule it out. I don't mind my knees and legs being crammed but my head....nah can't do it lol. We are gonna take a look at the others. We have also taken a look at the new tdi jettas. More money but can possibly get 50mpg and its one of the safest and greenest cars made. So just some food for thought if ya read this what do you think of the jettas?

11-14-08 11:11 PM
    Jettas are nice - friend owns one, decently appointed, if a little on the pricy side for a compact car. At 6'6", I would have thought you might be considering something more mid-size with improved head & leg room, but hey,I understand: money's tight for most folks nowdays.

You're doing the right thing by test-driving what interests you. Try a few out, check the insurance & warrantys, and take a day or so to make a thoughtful decision.
    Good luck!
    11-14-08 11:24 PM
    Yeah the car will mainly be my wifes daily driver to tote the kids around which are mini-giants! I drive a 1997 F350 4x4 crew cab with a powerstroke turbo diesel so I have plenty of leg room in it. That is why I am willing to give it up in the car for the money. I have a lot of neg equity in our current car so gonna see what I can do to get out of it first hand then may try to sell the versa privately then just buy the car out right. Who knows... Thanks for the input.

11-14-08 11:36 PM
    The totoya cuz its a totoya.

11-15-08 06:31 PM
    Owned a 2005 fusion orange Vibe. One of the best I've ever owned. Yes it *is* made my Toyota. It is the matrix with a pontiac logo. We got it during the 06 employee pricing. Paid 16000 for a solid tone with moon roof, upgraded audio and power everything. My uncle who is 6'5" or so had head room and was very impressed. I miss it but times got tighter for us than the car was necessary. I still get sad when I see one. Don't look at the XR version. Not worth it. Standard version is all you need. The downside, when you go to sell it, altho they have held a solid resell, it's still reselling as a Pontiac. We came out all right. Sold it earlier this year for 10500 after my wife scratched the side of it. Do drive one.

11-16-08 12:23 AM
    I think you could broaden your choices, . I think right now, and I know people hate this argument, but right now choosing an American car is a patriotic choice. I recently bought a Ford Focus and have found it to be a great little car. The other Ford models have really come a long way as well. I'm getting almost 35 miles to the gallon, and it is a fun little car. About size, I'm 6'3", 195 lbs and I fit in the car just fine.

Stereo got it a little, well actually a lot, wrong about quality. I brought up Fords because this year Consumer Reports says that Ford's quality is as good as Japan's. That Ford has eliminated any quality differences. So people can no longer say "I can't buy American because they aren't as good" because Ford makes good cars. Check out the new Focus, Taurus, or any of their other models. You won't be sorry, I'm not.

Last edited by exelant; 11-16-08 at 08:47 AM.
    11-16-08 04:09 AM
    All I can offer is good luck. Your post brings back reminders of my car shopping days for my 3 daughters. They are now on their own (at least financially) thank goodness.
    Goes without saying but start out with the safety ratings first. Someday your daughters will realize how fortunate they are to have such great parents.
    11-16-08 07:05 AM
    Buy the Pontiac and keep GM's heart beating for 5 more minutes.
    11-16-08 07:09 AM
    I have to say you're pretty nice. I told my 14 year old son he was getting a hand-me down car, and that he was lucky because my dad wouldn't get me a car. My dad wouldn't even let me drive his car -- it was a 66 mustang. Then I found out from my grandfather that my dad had wrecked three of his cars, . I guess I could understand. In high school I had to borrow my grandfather's car (VW Bug) for dates until I could get my own.
    11-16-08 08:46 AM
    I think you could broaden your choices, . I think right now, and I know people hate this argument, but right now choosing an American car is a patriotic choice. I recently bought a Ford Focus and have found it to be a great little car. The other Ford models have really come a long way as well. I'm getting almost 35 miles to the gallon, and it is a fun little car. About size, I'm 6'3", 195 lbs and I fit in the car just fine.

Stereo got it a little, well actually a lot, wrong about quality. I brought up Fords because this year Consumer Reports says that Ford's quality is as good as Japan's. That Ford has eliminated any quality differences. So people can no longer say "I can't buy American because they aren't as good" because Ford makes good cars. Check out the new Focus, Taurus, or any of their other models. You won't be sorry, I'm not.

If the OP is looking at new and wanting a hatchback or wagon setup, then the Focus shouldn't be included in the shopping list. That being said, a used one isn't that bad (2002 to 2007). Heck, I have over 240,000 miles on my 02 sedan

That being said, the Mazda3 is based off Ford's C1 platform which spawns the European Ford Focus (NOT the same as the current Focus selling here), and is a basis of the Volvo C30 and S40.

Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix are the same vehicle marketed under different manufacturers. I've heard of earlier first-gen Vibes having to be sent to Toyota dealerships for some repairs. I'm not sure if that is still happening to date. It's a great price. I don't think I've heard anything really negative about them to date.

As for any VW offerings, the main issue with Jettas these days is their diesel and the price premium. VW is cashing in on the higher fuel prices. Availability can also be an issue. Some have knocked VW for having higher insurance premiums and repair costs. I'm not too sure whether this is still the case.

Have you also considered a small crossover vehicle like a Nissan Rogue? What about compact SUVs like a Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV, Saturn VUE?
    11-16-08 09:34 AM
    I know about three people that got a Saturn Vue and they love it. I've been in one, seems really comfortable, specially for a tall person.

Just to answer back on the american vs import thing, I dont call my self an expert in the subject, what I posted before was based on personal experience. When I was a teenager through mid twenties I drove nothing but "american made cars" (though some where assembled in Mexico or Canada)<<roll eyes>>, yet I've had better luck as far as reliability with the JDM imports. I still love domestics but, as far as reliability Me personally I'm a bit skeptical.
    Of course the irony is that I'm currently in the market for a Jeep Wrangler, let's see how that goes. jajaja

With any automaker, they have their goods and bads. Just do your research. Check Consumer Report type websites. they also have a ton of websites like autos.msn.com, or the yahoo counter part of it, edmunds, Kelley blue book where they give you all kinds of specifications and/or reviews.
    11-16-08 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD