If there was a bigger version of PlayBook, my issue would be a non-issue.

I'd like a tablet, but I don't want to learn Android or iOS. When I watch people with their non-BlackBerry devices, it just makes me shudder how much longer it takes them to do something I can do in a snap on my BlackBerry.

So where I am seeking opinions here is the best way to get my hands on a Ubuntu tablet. Ideas that have come to my mind have been:

- get an Android tablet, then re-stage it with Ubuntu
    - get a Microsoft Surface or some other Windows touch device, and re-stage it with Ubuntu.

The must-have for me, in this tablet, is the quiet. No fan noise. Absolute silence.

The nice-to-haves would be:

- the bigger the screen, the better
    - USB port(s)
    - lotsa ram, like minimum 8 Gb, preferably 16 (so I can run a VirtualBox with an OS that supports Blend)
    - 4-5 hour battery life
    - Wifi
    - Ethernet (RJ45)
    - local storage with at least 50 GB free space after full OS install
    - bluetooth
    - built in cam
    - line-out for earbuds, headphones, or speakers
    - AC power IN
    - range of cases / accessories for being able to position it a number of ways

Anyone with some insight into ways to achieve this is most welcome.

OBVIOUSLY I would prefer the device to actually run QNX as either BB10 or the PlayBook OS, but Ubuntu is an acceptable substitute in this case.
    11-10-15 12:11 PM
    There are no commercially available Ubuntu tablets right now. I would recommend getting a Surface and installing Ubuntu on it. You should do a little online research though so you get the right model. Not all tablets are equally Ubuntu friendly.
    11-30-15 07:11 AM
    There are no commercially available Ubuntu tablets right now. I would recommend getting a Surface and installing Ubuntu on it. You should do a little online research though so you get the right model. Not all tablets are equally Ubuntu friendly.
    The surface or some other Windows based tab has been the front runner so far, it's just that it's been tricky trying to shop for the ones that are as quiet as the Playbook, Android and Apple variants. Some of the Windows based tablets are tablet+laptop 2-in-1s, which I like, but among those are ones with a fan or hard drive humm like laptops have, which I don't want. I want that perfectly quiet experience like on what I have seen from Playbook, Android & Apple.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 09:53 AM
    Wots?
    12-07-15 09:56 AM
    *sobs* Just after I thought I was over my Playbook....someone brings it up again and I remember how much I miss that.

Playbook...BB10 Two of the best creations in the world....

*sobs*

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    12-07-15 10:35 AM
    You read it here first folks, using a non blackberry device makes you shudder.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 11:28 AM
    I would own a PlayBook but I have size issues... er I mean I want a big big screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 07:42 PM
    I ended up getting an Acer R3 2-in-1 on Windows 10... would have liked to stage it with Ubuntu Studio but that would require bios modding which scares me. Next time i'll know not to buy Acer but otherwise it's ok.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-16 05:49 PM
    As far as tablet size, I'd recommend trying an 8" tablet out. I've found that to be the sweet spot between portability and usability and gives a significantly improved user experience over a 7" tablet. I've found the big tablets (9.7+) to be too large and would honestly rather use my Lenovo X220.
    03-03-16 02:08 PM
    Bad idea: surface 1/2/3/4/pro DOES NOT work with ubuntu/mint/debian, as you'll need a USB hub with a keyboard and mouse. Touch input is **NOT** supported at all. I tested that each release at the Microsoft store via a USB live environment. However the Asus Zoom phone could use ubuntu/mint since it uses Intel Atom.

Your results will *ALWAYS* vary.

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2.2876 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    03-06-16 12:38 AM
    As far as tablet size, I'd recommend trying an 8" tablet out. I've found that to be the sweet spot between portability and usability and gives a significantly improved user experience over a 7" tablet. I've found the big tablets (9.7+) to be too large and would honestly rather use my Lenovo X220.
    You've got the same tablet/pc as I do! The x220 tablet, as configured, isn't more than 2 fingers on the display. Wacom varies, won't work with the pen I have, but does with the S-pen. Lol

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2.2876 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    03-06-16 12:39 AM