Just wondered on your thoughts between Plasma and LCD LED I'm a pro Plasma with a Panasonic and Samsung plasma and for me there is no conceivable way that any other type of TV can beat it's display.

Always wonder what excuse people have for owning a LCD

Before you start with:

"Plasmas cost more to run" - yes there is a difference bit it's small between a modern plasma and led

"Screen burn" - yes it's true but only if you use it as a PC Monitor! And what ***** would do that!

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 07:39 PM
    I dunno man, I think sharp bangs out a pretty good led but you have to go with their quattron line. I'm Completely pro Sharp Quattron

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 07:42 PM
    Nothing beats the colors and sharpness of a full HD Samsung series 7 smart tv.. damn those things look good!
    I feel plasma looks weak.. the black is grayish not deep black.. and the image is usually too hazy for my liking..

I'm neutral with LCD vs plasma, because I'll always pick an LED over both :P

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    01-25-14 10:48 AM
    Plasma is dead. Panasonic pulled out.

Why discuss dead technology?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 11:34 AM
    Plasma is not dead and panasonic have not pulled out. It's just they no longer will continue to develop the technology further.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 12:01 PM
    Nothing beats the colors and sharpness of a full HD Samsung series 7 smart tv.. damn those things look good!
    I feel plasma looks weak.. the black is grayish not deep black.. and the image is usually too hazy for my liking..

Wow this is an uneducated response. Go look at a Panasonic VT60 plasma. No LED LCD gets blacker blacks. The only TV with deeper blacks are the new OLEDs at 10K.

People buy LED LCDs because they look better under bright lights in the store. If anyone bought a high end plasma and high end LED LCD and trialed them at home for 2 weeks each, they would pick the Plasma. Except, the Samsung F8500 LED LCD comes darn close to plasma picture quality, AND with brighter whites. Panasonic VT60 plasma or Samsung F8500 LED LCD are the top two sets next to OLED.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-25-14 12:04 PM
    Plasma is not dead and panasonic have not pulled out. It's just they no longer will continue to develop the technology further.

Posted via CB10
    In the tech world, if something is not "developed further ", it's essentially dead.

BlackBerry PlayBook ring a bell? They still sell them too, if you look hard enough.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sandman10; 01-25-14 at 12:24 PM.
    01-25-14 12:14 PM
    Any understanding I have had from researching....
    Plasma is better in dimly lit room
    Lcd/ LED is better for brighter rooms
    Burn in effect is pretty much non existent in today's plasma tec....so not a factor
    And as always personal perception trumps all.. have fun
    01-25-14 12:14 PM

LED is only a form if back lighting the LCD screen to allow for more energy efficiency and thinner displays....they are still LCD
    01-25-14 12:17 PM
    Samsung make utter rubbish LCD LED displays, they sell on there smart basis and not the panel tech.

However Samsung and LG will continue to make plasma and any plasma are pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 01:53 PM
    Any understanding I have had from researching....
    Plasma is better in dimly lit room
    Lcd/ LED is better for brighter rooms
    Burn in effect is pretty much non existent in today's plasma tec....so not a factor
    And as always personal perception trumps all.. have fun
    Burn-in can indeed still happen on Plasma screens. It takes longer than early designs, but those sets are still more prone to that issue. Early burn-in was incredibly evident in that you could see the picture image even when the set was turned off. Burn in still can happen on Plasma screens, but it will be less noticeable and look more like a faint shadowing when watching tv. It may not seem like much, but when it's your tv it happens to it becomes a big deal (ie: think of how a single bad pixel on a tablet drives you nuts - same with burn in 'shadowing' on a tv).

It is true that Plasma offers a much better black levels and contrast vs LCD. It also displays motion smoother (better for action like sports) and better viewing angles. The con's of Plasma screen devices is that they do tend to view better in darker rooms (little direct sunlight), are less efficient and generate more heat, and have a shorter life expectancy than LCD. The typical Plasma device is tested at around a 5 year life expectancy and an LCD will run 6-7 years on average. (These are tests run by AV International and Consumer Reports and rate the 'average' panel life before reported servicing. Obviously NOT the 100,000 hour life the manufacturers rate their panels at.)

The "best" company for any of this tech will change constantly. Early on, the LCD king (by far) was Sharp. They were building dang near every LCD panel on the market for manufacturers at one time. Samsung was one of the kings up to a couple of years ago, but the new contender is LG now. Panel technology between the companies at this point is only separated by a hair's width - with the main push being 'features'. Personally, I don't mind Samsung screens, but you have to reset the pictures in the store before comparing as they crank all the video settings up HIGH to make the sets stand out. And I'm not a fan of that company's corporate philosophy of 'we're the best because we jam everything into our machines no matter if it makes sense or not'. I'm more of a purist when it comes to A/V. I just want a TV that looks great with the features I want 'now' - not stuff for 5 years from now.

Anyhow - I spent 15 years in this industry and the above is per my personal experience. Use at your own risk.
    01-27-14 09:42 AM
    I don't know what I'll do if my plasma dies. Lcd looks garbage to me and can't match the seamless motion of plasma, mostly observed in sports and action sequences.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 12:13 PM
    I have 3 samsung tvs the oldest is a 55" plasma, about 4 years old then a 40" LCD about a year old and a 40" LED about 2 months old.
    Plasma by far is the best of all three but do not sit too close for long periods of time as the heat coming off of it will give your face a sunburn.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bigbacala; 01-28-14 at 07:31 PM.
    01-28-14 03:07 PM