Has anyone else seen this; or own it? I've had a PS3 that has amounted to a glorified paper weight for the past few months. So to at least put its Blu-Ray feature to use; I purchased the complete box set of Planet Earth narrated by David Attenborough.

My God...it's a visual orgasm. I had seen the Planet Earth episodes when they aired on television a while back; but seeing and owning the entire series in all of its High-Definition glory is mind-blowing.

We live on a magnanimous planet indeed; no wonder martians want a piece of it.
    02-15-09 11:16 PM
    Yup that series looks great in HD. Dusty old lizards in the sand, will look very different in HD than they do face to face.

I thought the martians wanted to probe us, not take a piece of the earth. I also think that martians study medicine, just so they get to do prostate exams and colonoscopies, without the UFO's scaring us to death.
    02-15-09 11:34 PM
    Yup that series looks great in HD. Dusty old lizards in the sand, will look very different in HD than they do face to face.
    I'd rather want to see dusty lizards in HD; than to see Joan Rivers' face in HD ::shudders::.
    02-15-09 11:39 PM
    LOL what you don't like the look of skin stretched so tight, that it looks like it's screaming?
    02-15-09 11:48 PM
    Love the series narrated by david attenborough.
    So incredible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 12:58 AM
    If it's the same one that was narrated by Sigourney Weaver on Discovery Channel it is awesome. The time and effort spent getting the video is incredible.
    02-16-09 06:53 AM
    I've only seen it on 720p through my cable provider (Cox) but had contemplated buying the Blu-Ray once I buy a 1080p television (can you say "WHERES THAT TAX RETURN!"). I guess there's no comtemplating any more!
    02-16-09 10:27 AM
    I just bought a 52' LCD 1080p HDTV last week and have my PS3 hooked up with the new Monster Cable for the best Blu-Ray viewing. I will have to check it out...
    02-16-09 10:31 AM
    Yes; the version of Planet Earth which aired in the states was narrated by Sigourney Weaver. If I'm not mistaken; the Blu-Ray version is only available w/ the David Attenborough narration.

Severe...I have pretty much the identical setup as you do. If there's something out there to watch that not only takes full-advantage of High-Definition viewing; but also provides a tremendous learning experience...it's Planet Earth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 11:14 AM
    I'd rather want to see dusty lizards in HD; than to see Joan Rivers' face in HD ::shudders::.
    ye that IS scary but I think it would be even worse if I were to see ROSIE O DONNEL IN HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    02-16-09 12:07 PM
    Maybe even "The View" In HD

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH x 10^536

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    02-16-09 12:08 PM
    Ahhhh... but Gianna DeLorenta (sp?) in HD... now that I could handle!

Mr. A and Severe:
    I've got the HDMI cables on my 720p tv now, and may/may not be able to see a difference in what I'm watching... can you guys tell a difference when wathing Planet Earth (or anything else for that matter) when using the regulare RGB cords, generic HDMI cables, or Monster/other Hi Quality gold wrapped HDMI cables on a 1080p?
    Last edited by drjay868; 02-16-09 at 12:27 PM.
    02-16-09 12:23 PM
    Mr. A and Severe:
    I've got the HDMI cables on my 720p tv now, and may/may not be able to see a difference in what I'm watching... can you guys tell a difference when wathing Planet Earth (or anything else for that matter) when using the regulare RGB cords, generic HDMI cables, or Monster/other Hi Quality gold wrapped HDMI cables on a 1080p?
    Planet Earth Blu-Ray; just as pretty much all Blu-Ray formatted discs...are optimized at 1080p resolution. So if you were to view the Planet Earth Blu-Ray edition on your 720p tv-set using HDMI cables...it will still look amazing; your naked-eyes would only be able to distinguish the difference in clarity levels if you were viewing the same thing side-by-side on different resolution tv-sets.

The point is; overall...even if you had the Hi-Def (not Blu-Ray) version of Planet Earth playing on your 720p...it will still look amazing.

Having an amazing high-resolution tv-set is only as good as the cables and quality of source signal being fed into....as long as you have HDMI cables (they don't have to be Monster-branded necessarily); and as long as you have a quality player (I use my PS3)...you're good. Sure; gold-plated terminals on HDMI cables conduct the signal better...but keep in mind that as long as you have HDMI cables hooked-up...period; aside from the standard 'RGB'-cords...you're good to go as I've said.

Also...most 'HD' channels for example through your satellite/cable provider are only broadcast on a 720i/p signal...so having a 1080p tv-set for now...won't even be able to take advantage of a full 1080 resolution most of the time. Only some channels such as HDNet and a few others are broadcast in true 1080 resolution. So until all digital channels have made the conversion to being fully broadcast in 1080...your 720p set w/ HDMI cables is well-equipped.
    02-16-09 02:28 PM
    Planet Earth Blu-Ray; just as pretty much all Blu-Ray formatted discs...are optimized at 1080p resolution. So if you were to view the Planet Earth Blu-Ray edition on your 720p tv-set using HDMI cables...it will still look amazing; your naked-eyes would only be able to distinguish the difference in clarity levels if you were viewing the same thing side-by-side on different resolution tv-sets.

The point is; overall...even if you had the Hi-Def (not Blu-Ray) version of Planet Earth playing on your 720p...it will still look amazing.

Having an amazing high-resolution tv-set is only as good as the cables and quality of source signal being fed into....as long as you have HDMI cables (they don't have to be Monster-branded necessarily); and as long as you have a quality player (I use my PS3)...you're good. Sure; gold-plated terminals on HDMI cables conduct the signal better...but keep in mind that as long as you have HDMI cables hooked-up...period; aside from the standard 'RGB'-cords...you're good to go as I've said.

Also...most 'HD' channels for example through your satellite/cable provider are only broadcast on a 720i/p signal...so having a 1080p tv-set for now...won't even be able to take advantage of a full 1080 resolution most of the time. Only some channels such as HDNet and a few others are broadcast in true 1080 resolution. So until all digital channels have made the conversion to being fully broadcast in 1080...your 720p set w/ HDMI cables is well-equipped.
    Thanks Mr. A. Right now I'm also using my PS3 for BluRay movies, just have it set to go to the tv at 720p. I've also got 3 HDMI cables going to the cable box, PS3, and 360, (one is the Monster Cable and the other 2 are Panasonic branded with gold connectors, so I spent the extra dough) but I guess I was just curious as to whether or not I wasted money on them, or if you see a bigger difference using them on your 1080p than I would on my 720p.

Anyways, that was a long paragraph to say thanks.
    02-16-09 03:26 PM
    omg omg omg omg

what about the golden girls in HD??????????

or Murder She Wrote??????????????

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    02-16-09 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD