Surprised to see how much a phone listens for key words and makes ads coming.

More so on a tested Samsung. Almost nothing on my BlackBerry.

Golf, bikes, motorcycle, something about break fluid bleeder, ect..

The BlackBerry does lots of searched for ads, from Google but at least it doesn't seem to listen quite as much.
    06-22-20 11:27 AM
    Surprised to see how much a phone listens for key words and makes ads coming.

More so on a tested Samsung. Almost nothing on my BlackBerry.

Golf, bikes, motorcycle, something about break fluid bleeder, ect..

The BlackBerry does lots of searched for ads, from Google but at least it doesn't seem to listen quite as much.
    For me all Google powered / enabled devices listen the same.

A possible solution / alternative .. #Punkt
    towngirl likes this.
    06-22-20 12:03 PM
    Not getting that on my Samsung.

But then, I've turned off all "personalized ads" and paused all history in every setting I can find in my Google account. I also disabled the Google app on the phone itself.

I still see ads, but it's for the most random stuff. So I know they don't really know me that well.
    Phone listening to key words, for directed ads.-screenshot_20200622-132130_settings.jpeg
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-22-20 01:24 PM
    Sounds like it would save a lot and time and effort if your device knew what you were interested in.

I did try this one time when I did a factory reset on my Samsung phone.... used a newly created Google Account, and played for the weekend. Never go any indication it was listening to me. Ads did start targeting once I typed something in another application...

Great site for things folks concerned about privacy... https://www.privacytools.io/
    towngirl likes this.
    06-22-20 01:43 PM
    Not getting that on my Samsung.

But then, I've turned off all "personalized ads" and paused all history in every setting I can find in my Google account. I also disabled the Google app on the phone itself.

I still see ads, but it's for the most random stuff. So I know they don't really know me that well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200622-132130_Settings.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	448808
    How do you turn off personalized ads

I use Google on my BlackBerry, and talk on it, lots. But it doesn't seem listen to me.
    06-22-20 01:44 PM

I use Google on my BlackBerry, and talk on it, lots. But it doesn't seem listen to me.
    Probably something you’ve grown accustomed to... LMAO
    towngirl and kbz1960 like this.
    06-22-20 01:56 PM

I did try this one time when I did a factory reset on my Samsung phone.... used a newly created Google Account, and played for the weekend. Never go any indication it was listening to me. Ads did start targeting once I typed something in another application...

It was 100% listening to the Samsung.

They went to get a safe on Motorcycle.

While there, they were talking about brake bleed kits.

Never looked them up. Didn't need them.

Got home and got ads for brake bleed kits and were surprised.

So, they started to talk, to see what it would do. Golfing. Drivers. Peddle bikes. Motorcycle.

After that, the got ads for helmets on peddle bikes. Drivers. A bike. And something about motorcycles.

Now they are afraid to talk

But I was repeating some stuff, I got nothing.
    06-22-20 02:00 PM
    Probably something you’ve grown accustomed to... LMAO
    All I get are stuff I look up. Like Le Creuset braiser...and most of that is from wayfair ..even if I have been on wayfair.

I get other makes and models at wayfair.
    06-22-20 02:03 PM
    All I get are stuff I look up. Like Le Creuset braiser...and most of that is from wayfair ..even if I have been on wayfair.

I get other makes and models at wayfair.
    Call your phone Ashley Madison for a few days..
    towngirl likes this.
    06-22-20 02:10 PM

One way on the Samsung - go to "Settings" > "Accounts and Backup" > tap "Accounts" > tap the "Google" icon which will have your account email next to it > then tap "Google Account" , and it will open a page with all your Google account settings, including ad preferences.

Another way is to go into your Google account through a browser on your PC. If you are logged in, under your account name in the upper right, there should be a settings link in the drop-down, or something about security. You'll see some of the same things that the phone will show you.

I don't talk at my phone, except when I'm on the phone with someone on the other end.

If I want to search for something, I'll go to the browser and type in my search there. I don't need it anywhere else, or need any other method. Phone listening to key words, for directed ads.-20200622_141057.jpeg
    06-22-20 02:15 PM
    Sounds like it would save a lot and time and effort if your device knew what you were interested in.
    I don't need it to know what I'm interested in. I only need it to give me the info I want. My emails, contacts, and what's next on my calendar. No "AI" needed for that.

Any searches I make are usually one-time things at that moment. My interests aren't tied to my phone. Anything that I might look for in-depth, I'll do on my PC.

Besides work and home emails, and actual phone calls, I do use my phone to browse the CrackBerry Forums, Android Forums, and sometimes, XDA. I'll look at current news and play the occasional games on it, but that's pretty much it.

Oh, Google Maps does have my home and work address so I can check traffic before hitting the road.
    06-22-20 02:30 PM
    One way on the Samsung - go to "Settings" > "Accounts and Backup" > tap "Accounts" > tap the "Google" icon which will have your account email next to it > then tap "Google Account" , and it will open a page with all your Google account settings, including ad preferences.

Another way is to go into your Google account through a browser on your PC. If you are logged in, under your account name in the upper right, there should be a settings link in the drop-down, or something about security. You'll see some of the same things that the phone will show you.

I don't talk at my phone, except when I'm on the phone with someone on the other end.

If I want to search for something, I'll go to the browser and type in my search there. I don't need it anywhere else, or need any other method. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200622_141057.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	448809
    Thanks. I tell them to try. They don't talk to their phone.
    I do.

They were talking to ME, and the ads came up, later.

And before that, talking to the guy doing a safety about brake bleed kits.
    Then kits came up. Not talking to the phone. Talking to other people.
    06-22-20 02:33 PM
    Call your phone Ashley Madison for a few days..
    LMAO

How do I call that to my phone that? On google seach? This is where I talk on my phone... usually to look up hours, direction ect..

Phone listening to key words, for directed ads.-screenshot_20200622-153854-1-.jpeg
    06-22-20 02:41 PM
    Thanks. I tell them to try. They don't talk to their phone.
    I do.

They were talking to ME, and the ads came up, later.

And before that, talking to the guy doing a safety about brake bleed kits.
    Then kits came up. Not talking to the phone. Talking to other people.
    That's just scary...

Where do these ads show up, if I may ask?

They aren't pop-up ads, are they?

BTW, I'm also running the Blokada app on my Samsung (Conite's suggestion), so that filters a lot of ads out. Not all, but most.
    06-22-20 02:55 PM
    That's just scary...

Where do these ads show up, if I may ask?

They aren't pop-up ads, are they?

BTW, I'm also running the Blokada app on my Samsung (Conite's suggestion), so that filters a lot of ads out. Not all, but most.
    I did ask.. where are you seeing the ads?

I think it was FB and it gave links to shop at amazon ... like break bleed kits via amazon links
    then bicyclers helmets.. then bikes.. and golf

Maybe they need Blokada
    06-22-20 03:26 PM
    I did ask.. where are you seeing the ads?

I think it was FB and it gave links to shop at amazon ... like break bleed kits via amazon links
    then bicyclers helmets.. then bikes.. and golf

Maybe they need Blokada
    Are they using the Facebook app?

That's a different level of creepiness, then.

That's another app I disabled on my S9. If I go to Facebook, I use the browser (Firefox, in my case).
    06-22-20 04:25 PM
    Are they using the Facebook app?

That's a different level of creepiness, then.

That's another app I disabled on my S9. If I go to Facebook, I use the browser (Firefox, in my case).
    Facebook doesn't work on Browser on phone, great. And it stopped allowing you to read messages. But not sure what they use.
    06-22-20 06:21 PM
    I think people are blaming Google but it not them talking to Google... it's them talking to other people.
    It picks up key words.
    06-22-20 06:49 PM
    I wonder if this happens in pixel phones and other ones.

Makes me stop and think, before buying Samsung.

I don't love pixel.
    06-22-20 08:08 PM
    Facebook doesn't work on Browser on phone, great. And it stopped allowing you to read messages. But not sure what they use.
    Works fine for me, but then, I don't use the Messenger part at all.
    06-22-20 08:24 PM
    I think people are blaming Google but it not them talking to Google... it's them talking to other people.
    It picks up key words.
    A while back there was a thread about exactly this, but I can't seem to find it right now.
    Someone had a Key² that was listening to them just like in your scenario, and when they cracked down on which app kept accessing the microphone it was some Google app. Just can't quite remember which, either Google Play Services, Google assistant, or maybe it was the Google app itself.
    If you'd deny microphone access for those apps you might be able to figure it out.
    Last edited by Ben xfg; 06-22-20 at 09:26 PM.
    06-22-20 08:36 PM
    Works fine for me, but then, I don't use the Messenger part at all.
    You often have no choice. People sent stuff and you can't access it.
    Last edited by towngirl; 06-23-20 at 07:43 AM.
    06-22-20 09:16 PM
    Pretty sure it's the Google Assistant. It is always listening for its name to help you out with something. Unfortunately, disabling the microphone practically disables the whole app, which we use to control lights and music on different speakers throughout our house. Typing commands would be cumbersome at best.
    A while back there was a thread about exactly this, but I can't seem to find it right now.
    Someone had a Key² that was listening to them just like in your scenario, and when they cracked down on which app kept accessing the microphone it was some Google app. Just can't quite remember which, either Google Play Services, Google assistant, or maybe it was the Google app itself.
    If you'd deny microphone access for those apps you might be able to figure it out.
    06-23-20 08:05 AM
    I was looking it up. It says to go to Apps, Microphone and shut off the one for FB .. mine was off. Maybe that is why I am not getting them?
    I am going to see what is up with the Samsumg, later.

I can't shut off Google ... I talk to it, too much. However, I am not getting them.
    06-23-20 08:56 AM
    Interesting read and audiobook. Phone listening to key words, for directed ads.-screenshot_20200709-011532.jpeg
    towngirl and misterabrasive like this.
    07-09-20 01:14 AM
26 12