WASHINGTON (AP) ―Team president says Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas is dead at age 73.

Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas was taken to a hospital Monday after passing out in the broadcast booth before Monday's game against the Washington Nationals, team president David Montgomery said.

The 73-year-old Kalas, known for his distinctive "Outta here!" call on home runs, was found by the Phillies director of broadcasting at about 12:30 p.m., Montgomery said.

Kalas joined the Phillies in 1971. Before that, he was an original member of the Houston Astros' broadcast team from 1965-70.

In 2002, he received the Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award for his contributions to the game.

#######################################

this is incredibly sad for me and most anyone who like baseball in this area of the country. Harry K was a legend among men, bigger then life, the best sports announcer IMO ever. RIP sir
    04-13-09 01:32 PM
    My boss just came in and told us! His father was a close friend of Harry K. Long time Phillies fan. He will be missed.
    04-13-09 01:40 PM
    I will miss him a lot. The home runs in yesterdays game just weren't the same.
    04-14-09 06:55 AM
    we will miss Harry the K. He's "outta here" but in a better place. God bless Harry!
    04-14-09 11:43 AM
    did you guys see victorino point up to the announcer box when he hit the homer yesterday? it was touching.
    04-14-09 12:13 PM
    Today's weather (in Philly) is such a statement on how the city is feeling. We lost such an amazing Voice yesterday and no one will be able to replace him.
    04-14-09 03:08 PM
    I was at the Hard Rock Cafe on Market Street when the news broke wearing my Phillies hat as usual and everyone who came across me stopped and talked about their favorite call or what he meant to them. He was in so many homes 100 + days a year and developed a bond with the core of the fans that will remain for generations. R.I.P. Harry the K. Although you may be gone, in this town you'll NEVER be "Outta Here!"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD