Signed him to a one year deal.
    http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/wireless/story.asp?story_id=18320

As a long time Eagles fan I must say I'm disappointed. Set aside the fact that he is a convicted felon for horrible crimes, he doesn't even make any team better for a one year deal.

Two years removed from football coming into one of the most complex offenses in the NFL, he is 3rd string at best. It's gonna be hard looking at him in midnight green.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 02:28 AM
    I actually like what Philly did. It shows there are still people who
    believe in redemption, not just talk about it. Vick served his time,
    should he be denied opportunities for the rest of his life too.

And really, his crimes were not that heinous. Granted I am not an
    animal lover and I especially despise dogs, but it isn't like he
    raped a child, murdered a family of four, or walked into a bar
    and just starting shooting random folk.

Yes, it is moral relativism on my part, but I refuse to allow his
    past to dictate his future. Good for him I say.
    08-14-09 03:32 AM
    i still think this country is f'd up... ok he was killin animals did his time.

dante stallworth was drunk and killed a man and gets probation?... id rather see him in jail then vick
    08-14-09 06:34 AM
    From a personnel standpoint it's a good pick up. He'll likely be used out of the backfield as a Slash Back like Kordell Stewart was for the Steelers.

Still on the fence from the criminal standpoint. I agree that he served his time, but I view with contempt people who have everything and commit criminal acts.
    08-14-09 07:02 AM
    I believe it was actually a 2 year deal. Interesting move for sure. Perhaps he'll light a fire under McNabb's you know what.
    08-14-09 07:52 AM
    I believe it was actually a 2 year deal. Interesting move for sure. Perhaps he'll light a fire under McNabb's you know what.

1yr, 1.6M.

As for lighting a fire under McNabb.. I hope so, McNabb is on my fantasy team!!

And yes, I agree that second chances are a good thing if the person has done their time and is really trying to make a change. Nobody's perfect, and to the people that say "1 strike and your out" I would encourage them to put themselves in someone else's shoes. I know if I had made a craptastic choice like that I would hope for someone to give me a second chance so I could redeem myself.
    08-14-09 08:33 AM
    Actually pk is right its a 2 year deal... Directly from press conference ... Official starts in 10 minutes..

08-14-09 09:53 AM
    Glad to see the man is still going to play and, I hope he kicks @$$ this season. I'm not an Eagles fan but I'm tired of all the drama that the "perfect people" out there have created. Like mentioned before, the man did his time.

"Perfect People"? Those who never make mistakes and cast stones at those who do.
    08-14-09 09:59 AM
    Press conference just started ...

08-14-09 10:05 AM
    I'm with AG - I think its great that any team signed him. There is no reason that he shouldn't be allowed to play. He did his time and that's that.

Its like any other job - if you were incarcerated for any length of time, its not like you would never be able to work again. Anyone that is willing to give you a job based on your skills should be permitted to do so.
    08-14-09 10:06 AM
    We all "weigh" the actions of others on our own personal "scales", which may or may not be "accurate", or even functioning, for that matter. That's a slippery slope.

Some decisions we make, in our wrong mind, are not so easily "fixed". Sometimes we mess up, and it's over. Folks never wanna talk about that. We are not guaranteed a "second" anything. Michael Vick knew what he was doing, and he knew it was wrong. No trickery. No duress. It's about choices, not perfection.

Folks don't usually "change" overnite. What they will often do (overnite) is do/say what they need to do/say to get/keep what's important to them (when money/a lucrative career is at stake). I don't know Michael Vick's heart, so I'm not in a position to make a statement on "where" he is and what his true feelings are. I hope he's genuine and he understands that he's received the "gift" (not the right) of a second chance.

I wish him the best.
    08-14-09 10:09 AM
    ^ Now THAT is an educated comment! Well put!!
    08-14-09 10:12 AM
    ^ Now THAT is an educated comment! Well put!!
    I'll 2nd that!

Well said TLynn (as always).
    08-14-09 11:21 AM
    The man definitely deserves a second chance. The signing was good for the Eagles and Mike Vick. All these so called diehard Eagles fans talking about boycotting the team, selling their tickets on e-bay, and just complaining about the signing are not real fans, or don't believe in redemption. What about all of the convicts that are released into society for a SECOND CHANCE. Granted, if he blows this chance, then the **** with him. But I believe he will become a better person. And as long as the team is winning, all of this will be put to the back burner.
    08-14-09 11:28 AM
    dante stallworth was drunk and killed a man and gets probation?... id rather see him in jail then vick
    The NFL stated that they are prohibiting Dante Stallworth (sp?) from any type of participation in the league (whether on the field as a player; or off) for one year.

From a personnel standpoint it's a good pick up. He'll likely be used out of the backfield as a Slash Back like Kordell Stewart was for the Steelers.
    Definitely. If I was the offensive coordinator for the Eagles; I'd by giddy with the amount of options I have at my disposal with both Vick and McNabb on the roster. They both are excellent QBs obviously; but they both are efficient runners too. Of the two; Vick is definitely the more athletic individual...so it's going to be real interesting to see what plays are drawn up to utilize his skills set.

Its like any other job - if you were incarcerated for any length of time, its not like you would never be able to work again. Anyone that is willing to give you a job based on your skills should be permitted to do so.
    I want to address the words I've highlighted above; this is where there is a disconnect between the 'normal' person that has been incarcerated before; and a 'celebrity/athlete' that has been incarcerated before...the options post-incarceration are not equal/not comparable.

Of course it all depends on the charges that the individual has been indicted and served time for...but it's safe to say that if person A is a normal/average individual who perpretrated the same crime(s) as person B who is a celebrity...person A will not have the same opportunities to act on after they have served time.

The man definitely deserves a second chance. The signing was good for the Eagles and Mike Vick. All these so called diehard Eagles fans talking about boycotting the team, selling their tickets on e-bay, and just complaining about the signing are not real fans, or don't believe in redemption. What about all of the convicts that are released into society for a SECOND CHANCE. Granted, if he blows this chance, then the **** with him. But I believe he will become a better person. And as long as the team is winning, all of this will be put to the back burner.
    I know quite a few Eagles fans; and I haven't talked to one that is unhappy with the organization acquiring Vick.
    08-14-09 12:12 PM
    I am an animal lover, one who would feel lost without my faithful hound at my side. I feel Vick got special treatment by the VA courts and did not receive a harsh enough penalty.

That being said, it's not his fault that I think VA let him off the hook, and I'm not the one hiring him. He served the sentence handed down and satisfied his obligation to society. He deserves the ability to return to work and should not be penalizied by folks who think like I do but don't act rational about it.

Good luck Eagles fans and good luck Mr. Vick.

08-14-09 12:26 PM
    The NFL stated that they are prohibiting Dante Stallworth (sp?) from any type of participation in the league (whether on the field as a player; or off) for one year.

Definitely. If I was the offensive coordinator for the Eagles; I'd by giddy with the amount of options I have at my disposal with both Vick and McNabb on the roster. They both are excellent QBs obviously; but they both are efficient runners too. Of the two; Vick is definitely the more athletic individual...so it's going to be real interesting to see what plays are drawn up to utilize his skills set.

I want to address the words I've highlighted above; this is where there is a disconnect between the 'normal' person that has been incarcerated before; and a 'celebrity/athlete' that has been incarcerated before...the options post-incarceration are not equal/not comparable.

Of course it all depends on the charges that the individual has been indicted and served time for...but it's safe to say that if person A is a normal/average individual who perpretrated the same crime(s) as person B who is a celebrity...person A will not have the same opportunities to act on after they have served time.

I know quite a few Eagles fans; and I haven't talked to one that is unhappy with the organization acquiring Vick.
    Well on 610-wip, 950 espn, PhiladelphiaEagles. com you have a lotta people talking boycott, are disappointed with the Eagles, etc.. Even during the press conference someone said that some people were putting their tickets on e-bay. I, myself, love the move. It gives us another weapon. Oh, let me don't forget the front and back pages of the philadelphia daily news. They are slandering Vick as well.
    08-14-09 01:16 PM
    Take that P.E.TA.

08-14-09 03:22 PM
    I heard the Eagles were gonna try to sign OJ next!
    08-14-09 03:33 PM
    I heard the Eagles were gonna try to sign OJ next!
    and Ray Finkle.
    08-14-09 03:43 PM
    oooh, I'll bite, who's Ray Finkle?
    08-14-09 03:47 PM
    how bout another clue... Lois Einhorn?
    08-14-09 03:52 PM
    and Ray Finkle.
    how bout another clue... Lois Einhorn?
    LOL. Good one.
    08-14-09 03:57 PM
    one of my favorite movies ever.

LDubs, Ray Finkle is the psycho kicker for the Dolpins in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.
    08-14-09 04:08 PM
    I actually like what Philly did. It shows there are still people who
    believe in redemption, not just talk about it. Vick served his time,
    should he be denied opportunities for the rest of his life too.

And really, his crimes were not that heinous. Granted I am not an
    animal lover and I especially despise dogs, but it isn't like he
    raped a child, murdered a family of four, or walked into a bar
    and just starting shooting random folk.

Yes, it is moral relativism on my part, but I refuse to allow his
    past to dictate his future. Good for him I say.
    I completelty agree with you AG, and I am a dog lover. I have a beautiful rott that I love to death and consider my 2nd daughter. If Vick had a different profession, and I am assuming we heard about the crime, he served his time and came back to same profession---THERE WOULD NOT BE THE OUTCRY WE HAVE WITH VICK.
    08-14-09 04:20 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD