Today is the nicest day of the year we've had so far so I invited my mom to come over with her dog so we could visit and have a puppy play date with my dogs. Within 15 minutes of her being here her dogs leg got broke. The wire leash wrapped around her leg and while she was struggling the bone snapped. After calling like 5 vets I finally found one one town over to check her out. First of all let me say I feel incredibly horrible and guilty and really flippin ****ty after what happened at the vet. First I had to go and borrow a good chunk of change from my brother in the first place to pay for the visit and x-ray. Then we get there and the dog gets her xrays done and the vet says her bone is snapped diagonally and the bones are separted. She needs to have pins put in her bones. He tells us it will cost 931.00 that absolutley needs to be paid up front or we can have her humanly euthanized. Now I don't know about all of you but I think this is the biggest pile of BS ever. They will not work out a payment plan with me, they won't even consider it. Like I said before this is my mom's dog and I already paid for her vet visit. I don't know about all the rest of you, but even if it was one of my dogs I sure the flip don't have almost 1000 dollars laying around in case of an emergency.
    Me being who I am got really upset because I believe in my heart that this is the most ridiculous horrible thing a vet can give you a choice to do because he wants his money NOW. So I raise my voice and blahblah about how it's not fair, don't know why he can't do payments, if this was my kid....ETC. Basically he tells me well if you don't have the money to pay for something like this then you shouldn't have a pet. WTF???
    My mom decided to take her baby home after and hour of so of crying and me calling the Humane Society(not currently accepting dogs) the SPA(busy) and everyone else I could think of.
    I am upset because this MF vet could have had some GD compassion and given my mom a payment plan. I am feeling an immense amount of guilt cause if my mom hadn't come over this wouldn't have happened. Her dog is her baby. She didn't even take care of her own children so I think she compensates with her dog. This really sucks. Just wanted to rant some.
    03-17-09 04:31 PM
    Ok I don't mean to be a **** but its a dog for Christs sake... Put it down and buy another

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 04:56 PM
    You obviously don't have a pet do you? I'm not going to get into that whole animals. are like people debate. If it was just a dog I woulda told my mom 'yeah go ahead and let them kill her just cause she has a broken leg.' Come on now

Last edited by AngelRock; 03-17-09 at 05:33 PM.
    03-17-09 05:29 PM
    hey AR- sorry to hear about ur 'sisters' leg--did you try going to another vet/hospital - most place do a pymnt plan for people that cant lump down that much cash in one shot. i have 3 pugs- i cant imagine wat i would do if something hap'd to them as well as my human kids! i would call around to see where you can bring her. in the mean time-splint the leg if possible.

do you know anyone(family/friend/neighbor) in the medical field that can help by any chance? just a thought.
    03-17-09 05:41 PM
    Today is the nicest day of the year we've had so far so I invited my mom to come over with her dog so we could visit and have a puppy play date with my dogs. Within 15 minutes of her being here her dogs leg got broke. The wire leash wrapped around her leg and while she was struggling the bone snapped. After calling like 5 vets I finally found one one town over to check her out. First of all let me say I feel incredibly horrible and guilty and really flippin ****ty after what happened at the vet. First I had to go and borrow a good chunk of change from my brother in the first place to pay for the visit and x-ray. Then we get there and the dog gets her xrays done and the vet says her bone is snapped diagonally and the bones are separted. She needs to have pins put in her bones. He tells us it will cost 931.00 that absolutley needs to be paid up front or we can have her humanly euthanized. Now I don't know about all of you but I think this is the biggest pile of BS ever. They will not work out a payment plan with me, they won't even consider it. Like I said before this is my mom's dog and I already paid for her vet visit. I don't know about all the rest of you, but even if it was one of my dogs I sure the flip don't have almost 1000 dollars laying around in case of an emergency.
    Me being who I am got really upset because I believe in my heart that this is the most ridiculous horrible thing a vet can give you a choice to do because he wants his money NOW. So I raise my voice and blahblah about how it's not fair, don't know why he can't do payments, if this was my kid....ETC. Basically he tells me well if you don't have the money to pay for something like this then you shouldn't have a pet. WTF???
    My mom decided to take her baby home after and hour of so of crying and me calling the Humane Society(not currently accepting dogs) the SPA(busy) and everyone else I could think of.
    I am upset because this MF vet could have had some GD compassion and given my mom a payment plan. I am feeling an immense amount of guilt cause if my mom hadn't come over this wouldn't have happened. Her dog is her baby. She didn't even take care of her own children so I think she compensates with her dog. This really sucks. Just wanted to rant some.
    I just found this part to be wildly entertaining... You're one of her children, right?

BTW, the Humane Society would probably side with the vet on this one, anyway. If the fracture is severe enough, euthanizing the dog would be the most humane thing to do.
    Last edited by S7ar Scr3am; 03-17-09 at 05:48 PM.
    03-17-09 05:44 PM
    The vet sounds like a total a$$, but then again many of them are. My wife worked for different vets before, during and a little after college. Each one of them was just a horrible **** and I almost came to blows with one of them.

Now, on the other side of the coin you do have to look at it from a vets point of view. They do get a lot of people that want their animal treated and don't think that they should have to pay for it. It sounds strange, but I have seen it with my own eyes and listened to thousands of horror stories from my wife. I have seen people that almost starved their dog to death expect to have it treated for free because vets are animal lovers and should just do it. I know they have had many people leave a dog for treatment and never come back to pick it up. I have also watched as a woman gave them the keys to her new C class Mercedes because she didn't have her wallet and just wanted her dog taken care of. People can be very surprising sometimes. Many of the vets that I have known are a little jaded when everything is said and done. They have seen some of the worst things in the world done to animals and by people that you would never suspect it from. Keep in mind that this guy doesn't know you from Adam and has no idea if you are a good person or one of the many scum bags that he has seen before.

I would try to find another vet like Shellie suggested. Most vets will try to work out a payment plan with you. Also vets in "poorer" areas tend to have a little more compassion and are willing to be a little more flexible. Also try and find out if the vet you are visiting owns the clinic or if they are just a hired hand, owners obviously have more say in the payment options.

I feel for ya, good luck!
    03-17-09 06:04 PM
    Ok I don't mean to be a **** but its a dog for Christs sake... Put it down and buy another

wow....some posts are just better left unsaid. like me saying...what a douschebag. sorry...probably should have left that unsaid...but i know my friends at crackberry nation will back me up....

as for the dog situation...that is very unfortunate and I would seek a second or third opinion from another vet. Another option might be to find a vet school in your area and see if they can help.
    03-17-09 10:05 PM
    I just found this part to be wildly entertaining... You're one of her children, right?
    This is another post better left unsaid.
    03-17-09 10:35 PM
    I've been a dog owner for about 15 yrs now and have had dogs in my house since I was in diapers. I have only had 1 vet that I truly thought to be an honest person, that's sad.

I feel your pain! However, no dog of mine ever was or ever will be worth that kind of money for one procedure. May sound cold hearted to some, but that's the way it is.

I had a min pin about 10 yrs ago that broke his leg and that was only like $175 total. Maybe it wasn't as bad as your situation, but I would have just paid for some pain meds and found a second opinion. That sounds really high to me. I know 10 yrs ago was a long time ago, but that still sounds high. Was it after hours or something?

03-17-09 10:43 PM
    AngelRock, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I'd have probably had to break their leg. My vet would never have been like that. It's a d*mn shame some people forget everything they got into that kind of work for. My dogs have always been treated at least as well as my child, she'd probably say better. The psycho bltch (yes, she is a female dog, so get over it) I have now even gets hot beef gravy on her dinner every nite, and has her own bedroom, complete with a twin bed. When I had to put down my Dobie/Shepard of 15 years, my vet let me stay in the room with him for a few hours to cry and say my goodbyes before putting him down (hardest thing I've ever had to do, and let me tell you, that's saying something). That left him with 1 examination room for most of a Saturday. Darn it, now you got me all sappy. He's the best! I drive a lot of miles to see him from where I am now, well worth it.
    Love the puppies! They're much better than people.
    03-17-09 10:50 PM
    Just as a side note (I actually had a situation where my dog was going to be put down but had a heart attack not 40 minutes before the appointment), you must consider the likelihood of the operation. Unfortunately mending a dog isn't like mending a human. An operation that may seem 'simple' or 'safe enough' could actually kill the animal in itself. They're just not made for it (whether the stress, the actual method, etc).

The one other thing you have to consider is that a dog is an all-leg sort of creature. If it has a leg like your mum's, it will always have a slight (or greater) disadvantage. It may become tired easier, less motivation, etc (all may actually lead to the degrading of the dogs health).

Just consider the consequences of both routes and see what you determine.

Cost wise that is the norm. It's unfortunate, but it is the norm. To simply FULLY diagnose my dog it was going to cost ~$800, that's just the diagnosis! And that too had to be paid upfront..

Sorry for your situation, now's a time to think REALLY hard and possibly start squeezing every last penny out of the bank..
    03-17-09 11:01 PM
    Thank most of you for your comments, they're helpful and make me feel much better. My mom called me later on asking for the vets number. She had my grandmother take her and her dog back to the vet to have her euthanized. It was my moms call and her decision and probably the best she could have done in her situation. Before hand while we were still at the vet I called everyone and everyplace and no one could help me help my mom. Had it been one of my dogs I would have gotten a second opinion, but it's very doubtful that my mom will pay me back as it is. In the end my mom made the decision that was best for her baby.

Thank you again crackberry users

Also I did call several vets. My actual vet wasn't in, the vet closest to me wanted a 300 deposit up front and the other 2 were to busy. Damn these small towns. Damn all of NW Ohio for it's tinyness
    03-18-09 12:40 AM

Why?

Animals are not trash.

03-18-09 12:46 AM
    To the OP...

I don't know if it will help or not, but look on the internet or in the phone book for "The Angels Of Assissi". I know this org. Offers free or near free treatment in some cases for cats and dogs.

Also - Don't give up. Look (again) on the internet for any vet within a so many mile range. You could drive pretty far out of the way for a vet that is willing to work with you on payments. Contact all of them and ask about payments or bartering your time for treatment.

Contact some colleges around as well. Some colleges with vet students will work with you so the students can get in practice. Some vet hospitals have students too that can choose so many animals a year that they can donate time and medication to.

I have been where you are. It is sad, but don't give up. Try all of the above because it isn't fair for the dog to suffer or be put down like trash. I love animals and can tell you do as well. Please keep us updated.

03-18-09 12:53 AM
    Oops. Sorry for the post. I didn't read all the way down before I posted. Ignore it now please.

I am like Wolf. I have a dog that is treated as well as my own child. I think when you get a pet that is the responsibility you take. I don't think that the decision to put one down should be taken as lightly as what to have for lunch is.

I would walk through hades and back to save my dog. She depends on me for that. You can't just stop loving something just because it gets hard or it becomes ill. Be it animal or human.I would owe everyone in a 10 mile radius money, if it came down to it. But that is me.

I am sorry it couldn't turn out better for you, your mom, or her baby. This post wasn't for you either. It was for those that think it is a simple and easy decision to kill a living thing because it became to expensive.

Again, I am sorry.

03-18-09 01:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD