So after my old thread and buying a sound card, I have now much more cash to burn PC upgrade time!

Current specs are:

Intel 2600
    Coolermaster 212
    16 GB RAM
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    MSI Gaming 770 GTX
    250GB Samsung EVO 850
    4TB RAID 0 HDD
    1000W Corsair RM
    22" TV Full HD
    5.1 Surround sound speakers
    Asus Xonar D1 7.1 sound card
    LAN 1Gbps
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Raptor gaming keyboard and normal standard logitech mouse
    Windows 8.1

My current thought it to actually buy a new processor, motherboard and RAM to keep up with the times! On a processor made in 2010, so I have been eyeing this up: Link

With the 5960x configuration and default RAM and cooler set on there. But my question is would this be a obvious performance boost? I do gaming 20% of the time / 40% Photoshop / 20% Audio editing / 10% video editing / 10% browsing and other stuff too. But generally would this be a boost and in these tasks too?

Games I play for reference:

Battlefield 3/4
    Civ
    Ryse
    COD: Ghosts

Audio/video editing mostly done in Audacity and sometimes in the Adobe package where I can't recall the name of it right now. Chrome 64bit browser / Firefox Nightly 64bit builds.
    11-29-14 08:06 AM
    From my point of view, sure there will be an upgrade from your current system. Especially I think from ram wise, i believe yours still on DDR3 while this one is on DDR4. Bigger pipe means faster performance for heavy duty jobs like photoshop, video and audio editing. As for gaming, I dont do games, so it is not fair for me to say anything.
    11-30-14 08:00 AM
    From my point of view, sure there will be an upgrade from your current system. Especially I think from ram wise, i believe yours still on DDR3 while this one is on DDR4. Bigger pipe means faster performance for heavy duty jobs like photoshop, video and audio editing. As for gaming, I dont do games, so it is not fair for me to say anything.
    I had a really good talk with someone and they showed me that performance from the 2600 to the 5960 is almost not perceptible in other than benchmarks. So I guess I am holding back from the upgrade.
    12-01-14 08:01 AM
    First thought:
    That's pretty good already...

Second thought:
    Wait for DDR4, let it become a tad more mainstream before you "byte"...

Third thought:
    Make sure you understand what you're using it for, not every upgrade spec-wise will reflect a performance boost for every use case (gaming, photoshopping, number-crunching for science projects, video encoding, running VMs, etc...)

Fourth thought:
    PC processors' historical performance curve is flattening out more an more... (as indicated by other post above)

(on the everyday computing side, manufacturers have started pumping out sub $500 all-in-one systems - yeah, with 2GB RAM (!) and 500GB hard drive - again, with dual-core Celeron CPUs, these things are good enough for Facebook, web and email and will be for a while...)

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    12-01-14 02:01 PM