No. (probably get me more points)
    More points mean you go home sooner? Not trying to be difficult here, but I'm glad it isn't me on an extended foreign travel assignment....
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-22-13 05:38 PM
    Don't puff him up. His head is already too big in proportion to his gnome/leprechaun body. Not to mention his pocketbook stuffed with US taxpayer's hard earned money.
    The use of the word significant should be considered as being of utmost significance.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 01:50 AM
    Over a third of BB10 applications come from one developer
    Linked by Thom Holwerda on Thu 22nd Aug 2013 22:18 UTC
    PDAs, Cellphones, Wireless

"BlackBerry has a thriving ecosystem with BlackBerry 10." That's what CEO Thorsten Heins said this May at a developer conference before revealing that users had a choice of 120,000 apps from its still-young app market, BlackBerry World. The problem is that over a third of those apps come from a single developer. Yes, a Hong Kong-based company called S4BB has published just under 47,000 apps to BlackBerry World since launch. That's not a good sign of a "thriving ecosystem."

This is what happens when the technology press lets itself be dictated by companies. The companies were the ones who started touting quantity over quality when it comes to mobile application stores, and the press played right into their hands. In a statement to The Verge, BlackBerry confirms the issue, but states that it's not actually an issue at all. Of course they say that. They want to keep touting that number.

Companies wanted this to be a numbers game, and now it is. Go into any mobile application store, and 99.9% of the applications in it are crap. Comparing numbers reveals nothing. It never has, and never will.
    08-23-13 07:29 AM
    Like this if only for its apparent trustworthy source (AKA avatar)
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 10:17 AM
    actually if we are talking avatars your jupiter ace is quite a trip down memory lane!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 10:47 AM
    A connaisseur, then?
    I always (from an early age) had a thing for almost obsolete technology. And look at me now...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 10:57 AM
    haha funny how things work out eh......

you know its odd, I saw that pic, and for a moment I was transported back to a local small computer business as an 11 year old, and all the amazing looking variety of machines available. jupiter ace's, new brains, zx81's - it's a long list, and memory does not serve well enough to do it justice. ah, thank you for a pleasant trip down memory lane!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 12:30 PM
    Could it be that sad_old_man truly saw the demise of the Playbook and thus was why he was SAD? Or was it some other cosmic event that stirred his emotions?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 12:45 PM
    well he did seem pretty comfortable offering a free playbook
    sad_old_man and Carl Estes like this.
    08-23-13 12:50 PM
    I think, what these fine people really want to ask is: are you Thor, S_O_M?
    (no offense to the both of you, BTW)
    sad_old_man and Carl Estes like this.
    08-23-13 02:25 PM
    I think, what these fine people really want to ask is: are you Thor, S_O_M?
    (no offense to the both of you, BTW)
    Can't be. Never heard him crap on about 'theee internet of thingsssss'
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 02:33 PM
    haha funny how things work out eh......

you know its odd, I saw that pic, and for a moment I was transported back to a local small computer business as an 11 year old, and all the amazing looking variety of machines available. jupiter ace's, new brains, zx81's - it's a long list, and memory does not serve well enough to do it justice. ah, thank you for a pleasant trip down memory lane!
    For this specific side-quest, should you accept: download the fabulous eightyone emulator, giving you a "spectrum" of 8-bit miracles, such the Sinclair ZX80, the Sinclair ZX81 and yes, the Jupiter Ace. Your goal in this quest would be reminiscence and bliss...
    And then there's this: acebforth, which claims to be "A Desktop/J2ME/Android Version of Jupiter Ace Forth". I never was able to get it to work, which I really, really love to, so if anyone here is able to, you know where I live (most of the time)...
    Now I only can hope S_O_M isn't madder at me than usual. Nah, hardly possible...

PS ZX81 games are all over the web as tap or p or many other file formats (abandonware I assume)
    Last edited by Hirazi Blue; 08-24-13 at 03:40 AM. Reason: More file formats allowed
    sad_old_man and offyoutoddle like this.
    08-23-13 03:07 PM
    'theee internet of thingsssss'
    Attached Thumbnails PB 64Gb Free when upgrade arrives (terms and conditions apply)-funeral_of_a_leprechaun_jewelry-rd4e6d3607f8741cd86c5b04791530b7c_fkoep_8byvr_324.jpg  
    08-23-13 03:12 PM
    eightyone sounds interesting. The question is can it run perilous swamp for the 81, or 3D monster maze?

The amount of fun coming my way if the spectrum emulator works good to doesn't even bear thinking about.

As for the ace, well honestly this was a love from afar if I'm honest - no personal experience there, but could be fun for a look - many thanks!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 03:13 PM
    lol. Nice pic. Nice new avatar again too. Thought it was the underpants gnomes for a min - but i just heard he quit from MS. That's got to hurt - the most money you ever earnt for the company was the share price bump when you announced you quit. Maybe Thor should try it?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 03:15 PM
    eightyone sounds interesting. The question is can it run perilous swamp for the 81, or 3D monster maze?
    I seem to recall 3D Monster Maze was playable...
    Enjoyable, in the case of retrogaming, has more to do with your current state of mind.

@S_O_M - Now I see:
    you're the owner of the biggest Irish/Leprechaun image database in the world... Gotcha!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 03:27 PM
    yeah retro gaming is sometimes 'wow that's when games were games' or 'wow did I really get excited about this c**p back then?' . bit like watching old TV. Imagine my horror when I realised that Blakes 7's early series' was actually just total poo.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 03:34 PM
    yeah retro gaming is sometimes 'wow that's when games were games' or 'wow did I really get excited about this c**p back then?' . bit like watching old TV. Imagine my horror when I realised that Blakes 7's early series' was actually just total poo.
    Nah, Blake's 7 got a gazillion points for trying (but not very hard, BTW). "3D Monster Maze" is a fine example of retrogaming lore. Back then we thought this was 3D. Now years later I own a license to high-end commercial 3d software (you'll never guess that it's Autodesk Softimage), which shows the difference quite vividly. But in my mind "3D Monster Maze" was �bercool and as 3D as you can get. Go figure...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 03:38 PM
    in the later seasons maybe. Although space commander travis let the side down in his Brian Croucher incarnation. And Paul Darrow's Avon still goes down as the best anti hero in history.

I would say I'd better stop going off topic but lets be honest, this thread lost the plot ages ago so i hope the mods will be lenient :P

If it makes you feel better, 3D monster maze was as 3d as it gets
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 03:44 PM
    I would say I'd better stop going off topic but lets be honest, this thread lost the plot ages ago so i hope the mods will be lenient :P
    WRONG, this thread never had "a topic" (the straight--jacket of forum life) to begin with...

If it makes you feel better, 3D monster maze was as 3d as it gets
    Autodesk, for one, might think otherwise
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 03:51 PM
    ok then I will ramble away as i see fit. But i'm gonna tell teacher its your fault if I get in trouble :P

You never though, Autodesk might have a fair few in there midst old enough to say 'well, actually you might have a point'
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 04:08 PM
    'theee internet of thingsssss'
    We need the cat, baby, or duck to do "mouth to mouth" and breathe some life into the old bloke. They are his favs...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 04:31 PM
    Nah, Blake's 7 got a gazillion points for trying (but not very hard, BTW). "3D Monster Maze" is a fine example of retrogaming lore. Back then we thought this was 3D. Now years later I own a license to high-end commercial 3d software (you'll never guess that it's Autodesk Softimage), which shows the difference quite vividly. But in my mind "3D Monster Maze" was �bercool and as 3D as you can get. Go figure...
    Anyone a Doom junkie?
    sad_old_man and Hirazi Blue like this.
    08-23-13 04:32 PM
    Over a third of BB10 applications come from one developer
    Linked by Thom Holwerda on Thu 22nd Aug 2013 22:18 UTC
    PDAs, Cellphones, Wireless

"BlackBerry has a thriving ecosystem with BlackBerry 10." That's what CEO Thorsten Heins said this May at a developer conference before revealing that users had a choice of 120,000 apps from its still-young app market, BlackBerry World. The problem is that over a third of those apps come from a single developer. Yes, a Hong Kong-based company called S4BB has published just under 47,000 apps to BlackBerry World since launch. That's not a good sign of a "thriving ecosystem."

This is what happens when the technology press lets itself be dictated by companies. The companies were the ones who started touting quantity over quality when it comes to mobile application stores, and the press played right into their hands. In a statement to The Verge, BlackBerry confirms the issue, but states that it's not actually an issue at all. Of course they say that. They want to keep touting that number.

Companies wanted this to be a numbers game, and now it is. Go into any mobile application store, and 99.9% of the applications in it are crap. Comparing numbers reveals nothing. It never has, and never will.

What was the middle one again?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 04:33 PM
    We need the cat, baby, or duck to do "mouth to mouth" and breathe some life into the old bloke. They are his favs...

They might not use their mouths....
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-23-13 04:34 PM
7,608 ... 8687888990 ...