Hi there,

Regarding driving... especially on multi-lane dual carriageways. Is it illegal to pass other drivers on the left? I mean, the left lane is, according to the Highway Code, the default lane. All other lanes are for overtaking only. So, what happens when I am on a three-laned motorway doing the speed limit and there is some so-and-so in the middle lane doing 60mph? Do I travel from lane one and skim over to lane three? But what if there is someone overtaking me in the middle lane and the overtakes the slow driver in the middle lane and I can't pass them in lane three because of this? Apparently, the driver in the left lane has more of a right to pass on the left if they are already in it, say travelling for a minute or two and comes across a slower driver in the overtaking lanes.

I was wondering because I almost got into a collision with someone as I was in their blind spot. It was a four-laned motorway and I was travelling the speed limit in lane one. Most drivers were travelling slower in lane three and four for some odd reason... then I came across a lorry. I proceeded to overtake into lane two, but there was another car overtaking the lorry, so I was going to merge into lane three which was free. There was a Ford B-Max in lane 4 travelling slower than what I was and I was almost parallel with the driver. Coming up behind was a BMW X5 doing around 80mph+ and without warning, NOT EVEN AN INDICATION, The B-Max driver decided to get out of the X5's way and nearly hit my right side. I couldn't move left as I was overtaking the car passing the lorry, so a swift blast of the horn was in order. The B-Max driver served back into lane four and I saw there were children in the back... what an inconsiderate driver! driving in lane four, not overtaking anyone and driving slower than the speed limit.

I have a video camera in the taxi so after my shift, I will review it and see what's what, but I believe I was totally in the right. The left lane is the DEFAULT lane, no question about it, unless roadsigns, road markings or emergency services indicate otherwise.

Excuse the rant,
    Thanks.
    10-04-14 01:52 PM
    Mph? So, USA? What state?

I always pass on the left.. and move to the right when someone on behind me needs to pass.

Passing on the right? What? That's the merging/exiting/driving /truck lane.. isn't it?

Hmm
    10-04-14 02:05 PM
    I reside in England, UK. We drive on the left with our steering wheels on the right side of the car :-)

This is a constant sight on the M25, the main motorway which rings around London and the surrounding boroughs, A.K.A. London Orbital. Many drivers feel they need to drive in lane two/three on the four-lane stretches because it's apparently too difficult to look right, check wing mirror and move right to overtake.

*sigh*
    nah.uhh likes this.
    10-04-14 02:13 PM
    The left lane is for passing.
    The right for slower traffic.
    Middle lane (s) for regular speed.

( Quebec , Canada )
    10-04-14 06:00 PM
    Tough one my friend.
    Glad nobody got hurt.
    You're right lane 1 is default (left) rest are for passing.

I can only assume that you shouldn't have undertaken lane 4. Of course that slow driver should have been in lane 3 not 4...ne that as it may, when they attempted to let the x5 pass they almost ran into you.

Everyone was safe, likely caused by an inconsiderate driver in the passing lane but undertaking is always dangerous for that very reason.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    10-04-14 06:08 PM
    I thought left was for passing but apparently depends where you are. In Toronto that's how it is however in NY I was told middle/right is for passing.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 06:09 PM
    I thought left was for passing but apparently depends where you are. In Toronto that's how it is however in NY I was told middle/right is for passing.

Posted via CB10
    Everything is flipped for the UK..

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    10-04-14 06:11 PM
    I pass in all lanes

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 03:17 AM
    Lol, for someone to pass you on the left, you ought to be pretty slow and should move to the slower lane.

I hate slow drivers hogging the right lane where they are perfectly and safely able to drive on the left?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    nah.uhh likes this.
    10-05-14 03:23 AM
    This road traffic law lark is complicated, but in my non-expert opinion there would be joint liability if it went to court.

In congested conditions with adjacent lanes moving at similar speeds it is perfectly allowed to keep up with the traffic in your lane even if that means letting yourself overtake on the left of a vehicle in a slower right lane. However, if you have changed lanes shortly before, then all bets are off.

On the other hand, a slow vehicle should not hog the rightmost lane and most certainly shouldn't change lanes without checking that it is safe to do so and indicating.
    10-05-14 04:10 AM