totally off-topic, not sure if i should even post this or not, but here it goes

im a 16 year old kid. for the last 3 weeks, i've been getting chest discomfort, heart pain's, vomiting, cold skin, hard to breath.. during class sometimes and sometimes when at malls.

I was browsing on this Heart and Stroke website (which seemed legit) saying that the symptoms above are warning signs of a heart attack.

Heart Attack Warning Signals - Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada

But anyways, i decided to tell my parents about that and show them the website etc.etc. and see if i could get a appointment with my family doctor.

turns out it wasn't the case, parent's 100% did not trust me, saying it was a lame axx excuse, you should finish off with you're studying etc.etc.

now im planning to just skip school tomorrow and go to a hospital or something by myself. and was wondering do i need parental consent to like see the doctor or something? or do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
    11-28-08 01:05 AM
    Fisrt off I believe it depends on what state u live in what the age of concent is. Most states I believe it is 18 so you would need your parents concent to get seen. Second. Have u been having a lot of stress lately in school or in life? Has either one of your parents ben diagnosed with anxiety? Most if not all of those symptoms can also be associated with a "panic attack". From first hand expierence with panic attacks they can feel just like your describing. Been there done that. You may just have real bad anxiety. Hopefully that's the case as they have really good drugs on the market to help with it. But I strongly suggest to get seen by a medical professional.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 01:23 AM
    Thanks for the reply, Not really have lots of stress, not much homework and stuff to do. no anxiety in family history either.
    wow you need parent consent to get seen? seriously i dont think my parent's really give a darn. :S

anyways thanks for your help!
    11-28-08 01:34 AM
    Np just glad to help. And panice attacks don't always have to be attributed to stress. This might make me sound weird but I've had panic attacks from something I've seen on tv. It wasn't a bad attack per say but it has had a anxiety affect on me

11-28-08 01:37 AM
    Doctors need parental consent to treat you, but it sounds as if you need an ally. Go to your school nurse and tell her your symptoms. She might call an ambulance, or at least she will be an advocate for you. The problem is that it is rare, but not unheard of, for kids to have chest pains. Emt had a good idea about panic attacks - they feel like they are real.

I'm sure the nurse would be able to insist you get in to the doctor. But I wonder about what you're not telling us. how often do you ask to see the doctor. As a parent, if my son told me he was having chest pains, he'd be in to be seen that day - probably the ER. Be honest with them and tell them how scared you are. They may just need to hear it again to be sure it is real. Post back and let us know how it went.

11-28-08 02:20 AM
    Seriously....I agree with the school nurse idea for an ally If anything. It sounds like an anxiety attack which being a sufferer of them all my life I can tell you it feels like your going to die it hurts so bad sometimes.

You said this has been going on for three weeks now that's sign number one its not a heart attack at least not at this point if it were you would have been in the hospital already with or without parental consent.
    Stress is the number one factor for a panic attack but there are others such as not enough sleep
    To many things on your mind
    To many ppl around you even....I get bad attacks when I'm in big crowds like the mall.
    What's bugging me is you said this happens at school and the mall is there any other times this happens?

11-28-08 07:29 AM
    Anxiety attacks brought on by large crowds...definite possibility....my mom is like that - shes no good in crowds. Just like what you've described. U can get anit anxiety meds - but yur awful young 2b poppin those kindz of meds. U shd look @ alternative methods or ways 2 relax n keep calm in those situations...meds shd b a last resort. Im sorry i just dont agreee with poppin pills 4 everything that ails you...theres other ways. Good luck tho n u shd c a doctor.
    11-28-08 08:07 AM
    Your description sounds like heartburn, I.e. A digestive problem. Chest pains can also be caused by pulled muscles. Heart attacks tend to be somewhat abrupt and are most often caused by hardening of the arteries in one of the major arteries supplying blood to the heart. The odds of having a heart problem at your age are very slim, but if you don't feel right seeing a doctor or nurse is a good idea. Let them figure it out rather than trying to diagnose yourself. Meanwhile, try to eat healthy in case you're having heartburn.

11-28-08 09:19 AM
    I didn't even think of the heartburn. But yes your right it could be. I also agree with not poping pills for just anything I keep my anxiety under control thru meditation and relaxation techniques. On a foot note here if it is heartburn you still should see a doc coz heartburn that bad and or often could be GIRD.

11-28-08 09:51 AM
    totally off-topic, not sure if i should even post this or not, but here it goes

im a 16 year old kid. for the last 3 weeks, i've been getting chest discomfort, heart pain's, vomiting, cold skin, hard to breath.. during class sometimes and sometimes when at malls.
    As the others have said it can be a number of things. Could very well be something totally unrelated to your heart, stress, anxiety. May be something that was never diagnosed, and is now showing symptoms. Only way to find out is to get seen by a doctor and have a set of tests/labs run to rule out possible problems. If it has been a while since you had a complete physical, that may be something your folks might need to schedule for you.

While it is not normally something people under 30 have problems with, heart conditions can be a concern, especially if there is a family history of such health problems, or as I said before, something that has not been diagnosed. If you have a family doctor give the office a call and have them contact you folks about your concerns. Always better to find out it's nothing, than to find out later that doing nothing, turned out to be not such a great idea.

Also if you have been experimenting in anyway with drugs street or otherwise, that is something you need to let the doctor know about as well. Not saying this because you are 16, saying this because it can be overlooked. I know of cases where family members and friends have ended up in the hospital due to borrowing what they thought were asthma inhalers or drugs they felt should be ok for them, because someone said they were good for "energy".
    11-28-08 09:58 AM
    BlkBear ya made an excellent point about the drugs street or otherwise. I was on a bunch of heart meds and thyroid meds and because I smoke weed sometimes I had to make sure the docs knew because the reaction between any medicines when combined needs to be monitored.

I read about a guy here that took some pills someone gave him and died because the pills should have never been taken together.

11-30-08 06:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD