This OS is really slick. With a loving community. Check out Android discussion at 18:00. Geez, 8.1 support:

I thought someone said Android support beyond Android 4.XX was impossible. I won't mention names.

There must be 50,000 or so developers just off camera.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-09-19 02:05 AM
    That's Jolla Sailfish 3. Shouldn't this thread be under Off-Topic?
    01-09-19 02:58 AM
    Looks so intuitive!!

Anilu7 likes this.
    01-09-19 03:00 AM
    I thought someone said Android support beyond Android 4.XX was impossible. I won't mention names.
    It is impossible when there are no BlackBerry 10/Android developers working on it within BlackBerry. Also, Jolla is their own organization who has never signed a Google CTS/GMS/MADA agreement, unlike BlackBerry which would prevent them from doing further work on the Android Runtime. But hey, don't let those minor details get in the way of your joy!

Should also be mentioned, that like BlackBerry 10, Jolla does not officially support the Google Play Store and you can run into similar issues as BlackBerry 10 users currently face. They require additional measures to workaround it as well.

Sailfish OS does not support Google Play store, because it relies on Google's proprietary background services only found on Android devices running Google's Android. We always advise against installing Google Services on SailfishOS, as it is known to potentially cause a multitude of problems ranging from serious to trivial.

Applications that report that they require Google Play Services may work entirely or partially regardless of the error. Most often applications use the services to sync data from your device to Google's servers.
    As mentioned before, we cannot ensure 100% compatibility of Android apps with Sailfish OS. It is also possible that certain features of Android applications are not supported. Such frequently asked about features include:

- Reading any other information besides contacts information on your device, e.g. doesn't read or react to SMS messages' content, can't read calendar data
    - Utilizing Bluetooth connections for any other purpose other than streaming music to a Bluetooth headset or speakers
    Sail on my fish friend. At least WhatsApp is slightly easier to install, so it's got that going for it for sure aside from looking pretty great! - https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...aminen-Jollaan
    app_Developer, AmritD and Rico4you like this.
    01-09-19 05:17 AM
    It is impossible when there are no BlackBerry 10/Android developers working on it within BlackBerry. Also, Jolla is their own organization who has never signed a Google CTS/GMS/MADA agreement, unlike BlackBerry which would prevent them from doing further work on the Android Runtime. But hey, don't let those minor details get in the way of your joy!
    Party pooper! 😀
    Bla1ze likes this.
    01-09-19 05:22 AM
    It is impossible when there are no BlackBerry 10/Android developers working on it within BlackBerry. Also, Jolla is their own organization who has never signed a Google CTS/GMS/MADA agreement
    You should just keep this as a text file to cut and paste into these threads every time this comes up.
    AmritD likes this.
    01-09-19 08:25 AM
    What does Sailfish have to with BB10?

I think you grossly misinterpreted what was said about that.

Apples and oranges... or, fish and fruit.

BlackBerry is not allowed by contract to develop the android runtime built into BB10 beyond 4.3 (where they were prior to signing with Google to develop the Priv). Of course BlackBerry no longer develops BB10 at all, so there's nothing to support android-wise, anyway.

As Bla1ze said, Jolla has no such agreement with Google. They are free to use the open source Android to do whatever they wish.

Just like Amazon, who also has no agreement with Google, can build their own Fire OS, which is now up to Android 7.
    01-09-19 08:59 AM
    Why can't you guys get over the fact that BB10 is and will be dead? Get over it! It really is annoying. Move on and get on with your life.
    01-09-19 09:53 AM
    This OS is really slick. With a loving community. Check out Android discussion at 18:00. Geez, 8.1 support:

There must be 50,000 or so developers just off camera.
    If they would just advertise this....... if Jolla would just take all it’s resources and just spend it all to let people know that Sailfish exists it would succeed and be amazingly viable.

That’s problem with the people at Jolla, they aren’t the best at spending all their available resources and letting everyone know that Sailfish is the most _________________ ever and could develop awesome proprietary hardware too......
    01-09-19 10:03 AM
    If they would just advertise this....... if Jolla would just take all it’s resources and just spend it all to let people know that Sailfish exists it would succeed and be amazingly viable.

That’s problem with the people at Jolla, they aren’t the best at spending all their available resources and letting everyone know that Sailfish is the most _________________ ever and could develop awesome proprietary hardware too......
    Gee, that argument sounds familiar.
    01-09-19 03:48 PM
    Gee, that argument sounds familiar.
    ;-)
    01-09-19 03:54 PM
    I think that BB's experience has shown that you will never get mass adoption of a new smartphone platform if you can't go into your carrier's store and buy one.

Sailfish is a ROM that you will have to install onto a specific model of existing phone, which puts it solidly into the "hobbiests" category. You can likely forget about banking apps and certainly mobile payment apps, and over time, as security measures are increased across the board, other (Android) apps will get choked off.

At the same time, the platform is so small and unlikely to grow very quickly, so few devs will bother making native applications.

That's the main problem with alternative smartphone platforms: there are too many dependencies that are out of your control, and eventually the investors realize that their hopes of profits from mass adoption will never happen, and once the funding is pulled, it's dead.

Despite the great work that Jolla has done, I give Sailfish 2 years before funding goes away. They have gone from device makers to providing preloaded OS for partners to now providing just an aftermarket ROM. I don't think there will be a "plan D" when Plan C fails (to be profitable).
    01-09-19 10:44 PM
    What's the latest?
    01-13-19 12:00 PM
    Why can't you guys get over the fact that BB10 is and will be dead? Get over it! It really is annoying. Move on and get on with your life.
    Are you saying that there's a chance? I think we should start a petition.
    01-13-19 12:47 PM
    Nah. You need to go straight to gofundme page.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    01-13-19 01:12 PM
    BB10 was my write in candidate last election
    The_Passporter likes this.
    01-13-19 01:13 PM
    01-16-19 08:12 PM

Should also be mentioned, that like BlackBerry 10, Jolla does not officially support the Google Play Store and you can run into similar issues as BlackBerry 10 users currently face. They require additional measures to workaround it as well.

Sail on my fish friend. At least WhatsApp is slightly easier to install, so it's got that going for it for sure aside from looking pretty great! - https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...aminen-Jollaan
    Great summary...Well that BB10 Sail boat is long gone.
    01-21-19 01:59 AM
    I think that BB's experience has shown that you will never get mass adoption of a new smartphone platform if you can't go into your carrier's store and buy one.
    That is not the goal. The goal is to conquer the niche.

Sailfish is a ROM that you will have to install onto a specific model of existing phone, which puts it solidly into the "hobbiests" category.
    This is true for Europe but not for Russia, India or Sout America where you can get some phones with SailfishOS out of the box.

You can likely forget about banking apps and certainly mobile payment apps, and over time, as security measures are increased across the board, other (Android) apps will get choked off.
    At least there is one universal banking app available natively. Works fine for me. But I have the luck to live in Germany where banks have to use a standardized interface.
    Of course the Android Runtime is not meant to replace an Android Phone that would be totally insane.

At the same time, the platform is so small and unlikely to grow very quickly, so few devs will bother making native applications.
    Don't underestimate the target audience. The frustration with Android is very high in that niche of tech geeks that are able to code that the potential is there.

That's the main problem with alternative smartphone platforms: there are too many dependencies that are out of your control, and eventually the investors realize that their hopes of profits from mass adoption will never happen, and once the funding is pulled, it's dead.
    World domination is not the goal here like I said.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    01-21-19 03:03 AM
    World domination is not the goal here like I said.
    World domination might not be the goal, but the vast majority of folks also can't survive with a hobbyist's OS/platform that lacks the apps and services they need, and without, say, 10% of the global market, that's all it will ever be.

That's fine for the techie niche, sure, but it does nothing for any corporate users and does nothing for those who need to be able to get stuff done on their phones without having to tinker and research and so forth. That's the majority, even of former BB10 users.

I'm not trying to denigrate Sailfish, nor BB10 - I'm saying it's unrealistic to expect it to meet anything like mainstream smartphone needs, and so people with those needs shouldn't expect Sailfish to be an option for them.

There are guys who can take an old "barn find" car that hasn't run in 30 years and was in an accident, and they can hunt down parts in junk yards and do some metal fabrication and rebuild the engine and transmission and end up with a drivable car - but they are relatively rare and unique individuals. Most people expect to jump in their car, turn the key, and be able to drive off quickly, reliably, and safely. Those seasoned "car guys" don't have that expectation, and they can live with break-downs and tows and their car being down for days or weeks at a time. That's kind of the same idea - those guys aren't at all mainstream users, and they don't have mainstream expectations, so it can work for them, and arguably they get great satisfaction at the end. I respect that - but your mom wouldn't put up with that, and neither would most people with their daily driver.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    01-21-19 03:00 PM
    What does Sailfish have to with BB10?

I think you grossly misinterpreted what was said about that.

Apples and oranges... or, fish and fruit.

BlackBerry is not allowed by contract to develop the android runtime built into BB10 beyond 4.3 (where they were prior to signing with Google to develop the Priv). Of course BlackBerry no longer develops BB10 at all, so there's nothing to support android-wise, anyway.

As Bla1ze said, Jolla has no such agreement with Google. They are free to use the open source Android to do whatever they wish.

Just like Amazon, who also has no agreement with Google, can build their own Fire OS, which is now up to Android 7.
    Equally so, BlackBerry doesn't make any Android phones either since Priv/Dtek30/50. So I'd say they're free to tinker with the Android runtime to their hearts content. Anyone can. Presumably a bb10 phone could adopt the Fire OS sandboxed of course (android 7), or maybe just swallow Sailfish's version as its embedded sandbox.

Now in the matter of having anyone around currently working on such a great idea, yeah well, no they don't. But hey, who knows what the future will bring. Maybe they can do a capital market round to raise the billion to reboot.
    03-11-19 01:16 AM
    BB10 with an updated Android runtime in any shape or form will NOT come back. Just plain reality. The future going forward for BlackBerry devices is Android which started with launch of PRIV and after that 5 additional devices 100% Android devices have been launched and more to come!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-11-19 02:43 AM