National Broadband Plan? Dream Big, Feds, Very Big | Epicenter from Wired.com

I am interested in this article. While I do not agree with the bloggers opinions that we should nationalize internet I do think this is a good discussion we could have. What do you guys think? I would lean away from this and lean more towards encouraging compeition by either anti-trust laws or by making it easier to start companies (i.e. low taxes on businesses, and less red tape.)

What say you? Twin? What do you think?
    04-11-09 08:16 PM
    Lower taxes, less regulation, smaller government.

There are those who say the government needs to intervene - the bozos that the ignorant masses have voted in can't run Congress, much less any business.

Amtrak, anyone?

Look at all the boobs who don't pay the taxes they want us jailed for not paying.

Universal broadband will come when the market dictates it. You let the government do it and you'll end up with occasional 256k for $50/month and every byte sent or received will be monitored, dissected, sold and otherwise used against you.

If private enterprise doesn't see a market for it, then forcing service out where it is unprofitable would mean that those in populated areas would be paying extra to give service to someone living in the sticks. Taking a similar tack, it I choose to live in the sticks, I don't have Walmart, a 25-screen theater, a mall, light-rail or other "amenities" close by. Maybe those should be subsidized and the government should provide or force those too?

Lets see - a 150,000 sq-ft WalMart to service 18 people. Smart - real smart.
    04-11-09 08:35 PM
    I figured you'd agree.

04-11-09 09:06 PM
    I figured you'd agree.

No figuring about it. You KNEW I'd agree.
    04-11-09 09:36 PM
    How bout no freakin way!!!
    04-12-09 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD