Regardless of how good of a driver you may be or think you may be, a distraction while driving takes you below your own assessment.

100% of all accidents, caused by or related to, texting while driving are preventable. 100% of them. If you want to flame me over this, make sure you stay out of my neighborhood when you drive and text and remember that you are not the only person on this planet. Many who have lost friends or loved ones on this entire forum may end up reading this post, but remember, if you flame me over this, you are flaming them as well. I do not have to justify my concern over this, nor do I want to.

Click the link, sign the petition and watch some of the videos, or all of them. I did.

I am not affiliated with Oprah's NO PHONE ZONE in any way, but have been affected by texting drivers and AM affected by them every time I drive.

DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE!!!!!

http://www.oprah.com/packages/no-phone-zone.html
    04-30-10 11:00 AM
    I agree with you 110%. I myself am guilty of this. Usually when I'm at a stop light, or in heavy traffic that's not moving. Still, I'm guilty.
    04-30-10 11:03 AM
    I try not to do it that much but I do text and drive. Especially on long trips.
    04-30-10 11:06 AM
    I try not to do it that much but I do text and drive. Especially on long trips.
    I don't, ever. If anything in my car is going on that I need to take my attention of of traffic to deal with, I pull over to take care of it or it can wait. I'm in the car to drive, not engage in recreation of any kind. Texting and driving is deadly. Go to the site and watch the videos. It will change your life, and will certainly bring tears to your eyes.
    04-30-10 11:10 AM
    I don't, ever. If anything in my car is going on that I need to take my attention of of traffic to deal with, I pull over to take care of it or it can wait. I'm in the car to drive, not engage in recreation of any kind. Texting and driving is deadly. Go to the site and watch the videos. It will change your life, and will certainly bring tears to your eyes.
    I've already seen pictures/videos. I'm content. I don't do it as much as I used to.
    04-30-10 11:11 AM
    I don't even know why this needs to rise to the level of "awareness raising"

Anyone who texts, emails etc... while driving (spare me the BS about your skills,
    Vlingo or Drivesafe.ly) is an abso friggin lutely stupid POS that should not be allowed
    to drive.

Behind the wheel of my car my phone is a non issue. Why? Because I love my
    life and I don't want to harm anyone elses.

As a Captain on a volunteer Fire Dept, I have seen the tragic consequences of
    this far too many times. If you need to converse, pull the F over.
    04-30-10 11:13 AM
    I don't even know why this needs to rise to the level of "awareness raising"

Anyone who texts, emails etc... while driving (spare me the BS about your skills,
    Vlingo or Drivesafe.ly) is an abso friggin lutely stupid POS that should not be allowed
    to drive.

Behind the wheel of my car my phone is a non issue. Why? Because I love my
    life and I don't want to harm anyone elses.

As a Captain on a volunteer Fire Dept, I have seen the tragic consequences of
    this far too many times. If you need to converse, pull the F over.
    +1,000. I don't deal with my phone while my car is in any gear. Stopped, in park, stationary, that's it, and only then. I deal with business on my Blackberry. That business is not more important than safety for those around me, EVER. I don't want my wife to be alone without me, or anyone else's wife to be alone without them.
    04-30-10 11:17 AM
    There are very few issues that get me as worked up as this one. I apologize if I am
    in any way abrasive but my family is more important than:

Q: sup yo
    A: nuttin, jus chillin
    Q yeah I'm going to see my boo
    A: word brah
    Q: TTYL
    A: kewl
    04-30-10 11:47 AM
    So can we make the united states a no Ape zone so we can ban Oprah ? I'd sign that petition in a heartbeat

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 11:48 AM
    What??????
    04-30-10 11:53 AM
    So can we make the united states a no Ape zone so we can ban Oprah ? I'd sign that petition in a heartbeat
    Must you constantly be a misanthropic, misogynistic, xenophobic, racially
    insensitive, hateful moron.

I mean really, do you practice being stupid or is it just a genetic "gift."
    04-30-10 11:54 AM
    Must you constantly be a misanthropic, misogynistic, xenophobic, racially
    insensitive, hateful moron.

I mean really, do you practice being stupid or is it just a genetic "gift."
    It's times like this I wish I were a mod. Good delivery, Graceless. Awesome.

Back to our regular programming.
    04-30-10 11:58 AM
    Can we make OT a No Whoolio zone?
    04-30-10 12:02 PM
    I've already seen pictures/videos. I'm content. I don't do it as much as I used to.
    Please don't do it at all. When you hit and kill a young child, or an entire family, and have to give up everything you know to spend years in a penitentiary, "not as much" will be just as good as "all the time."

Personally, I have way to many things going on in my life to let one accident cause me to start over. Your accident or mine, either way.
    04-30-10 12:04 PM
    I'll sign that petition. Thank you.
    04-30-10 12:05 PM
    Pleaseeeeee!

I can't get over that post. Grow up Whoolio.

04-30-10 12:06 PM
    Please don't do it at all. When you hit and kill a young child, or an entire family, and have to give up everything you know to spend years in a penitentiary, "not as much" will be just as good as "all the time."

Personally, I have way to many things going on in my life to let one accident cause me to start over. Your accident or mine, either way.
    I'm not going to argue with you. I'm human. I make mistakes.

04-30-10 12:09 PM
    To those in this thread I am very sorry for that outburst (which I will not delete.)
    That got under my skin. Attacking a woman who has done more good in a day than
    that simpleton will in a lifetime annoyed me. Calling a black woman an ape pissed
    me off.

...we return to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress...
    04-30-10 12:11 PM
    I'm not going to argue with you. I'm human. I make mistakes.

I'm not going to argue with you either. I stated that I had no desire to justify myself, but please try to never drive in the Ringgold, GA. area. Driving and texting is far from a mistake. It's intentionally endangering lives.

I bicycle around traffic, my wife drives in traffic as do my relatives, friends, band mates, clients and a lot of other people I care for and about. I also drive in traffic around here. I don't want to lose any of those privileges or belongings, and I assume that it is only a matter of time before texting and driving will affect me directly, either by my death due to the accident, or someone I know. This IS a serious problem in today's driving environment.

In light of my subject line for this thread, saying you do it at all puts you on a target list.

Don't be so defensive. It's too nice of a day to be upset. This is not a p!ssing contest, and shouldn't elevate to be one.
    04-30-10 12:19 PM
    To those in this thread I am very sorry for that outburst (which I will not delete.)
    that simpleton will in a lifetime annoyed me. Calling a black woman an ape pissed
    me off.

You're fine by me.
    04-30-10 12:20 PM
    Obvious troll iz Obvious

/eyeroll
    04-30-10 01:06 PM
    me off.

No apology neccessary, imo. It was an unneccessary post on his part. Some people don't think before they speak/post.
    04-30-10 02:08 PM
    Well, it's official. Starting July 1st Michiganders can now get pulled over for looking at their phone to use gps, radio, make a call, etc. because a cop thinks you're texting. Can't wait for that!
    04-30-10 04:35 PM
    Well, it's official. Starting July 1st Michiganders can now get pulled over for looking at their phone to use gps, radio, make a call, etc. because a cop thinks you're texting. Can't wait for that!
    I don't see a problem. I'm sure sitting still on the shoulder, in a parking space/lot not moving, will not initiate an investigation. I would like to see that legislation here in GA.

I have "0" sympathy for those who disregard the law at other's expense.
    04-30-10 05:42 PM
    I don't see a problem. I'm sure sitting still on the shoulder, in a parking space/lot not moving, will not initiate an investigation. I would like to see that legislation here in GA.

I have "0" sympathy for those who disregard the law at other's expense.
    The thing is, they can pull you over for "suspecting" you of texting while driving (and write you a citation for $100-$200), when you could have been doing something else, like looking at directions, or changing a song. Which is bullsh*t because then you have to deal with the whole court thing to prove them wrong.

I agree, texting while driving is unsafe, but this is a controversial law. And Gov. Granholm was on the show signing the bill, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

EDIT: Eating, doing makeup, changing your car's radio, dealing with three yelling kids in the backseat...those are all distracting too, but nobody thinks twice about any of that.
    Last edited by jabbs1; 04-30-10 at 06:13 PM.
    04-30-10 05:59 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD