So does waiting until the last day before v day to get my fiance something make me a dirtbag? I mean its not WHEN we buy the gift, its the fact we get them one right?

Also, there's nothing wrong with a teddy and some flowers is there?

I'm so tired of dishing out money for the wedding I just want to keep it simple.

Female opinions would be great, guy opions I don't care either. Just looking for someone elses opinion.

Thanks in advance
    -b86

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 04:03 AM
    Well if you don't tell her its from the day before, how will she know it is? And its ok to get the day before, since its flowers and they need to be fresh for V-day. That's my opinion anyway!

02-13-09 05:17 AM
    Nothing wrong with it. Doing it last thing means that you don't blow your cash and discover something better when you can no longer afford it.
    02-13-09 07:18 AM
    I say it does not matter when you buy it. If its 30 minutes before you see her so be it. Atleast she got something : )

One thing I learned about women is that men will always do things wrong. You can clean the house, do the dishes and forget to make the bed and they will complain that you didn't make the bed ; )

Women can't live them, can't live with them.

02-13-09 10:50 AM
    Women can't live them, can't live with them.
    Mr.Asterik steps in to clarify something for those who may be behooved.....*" women; can't live with them, can't live without them ".

To the original poster; I agree with others that it's not the amount of time in advance that you get her something that matters.

Posting in here reminds me of a sad statistic taking all (12) months into considertaion porportionately...percentage wise; the divorce rate during the month of February shoots to around 13%. Couple that percentage with the fact that break-ups climb even higher during times of recession...well let's just say that there's not enough money the gov't can put up in a stimulus package that can replenish cupid's depletion of arrows.
    02-13-09 11:12 AM
    So does waiting until the last day before v day to get my fiance something make me a dirtbag? I mean its not WHEN we buy the gift, its the fact we get them one right?

Also, there's nothing wrong with a teddy and some flowers is there?

I'm so tired of dishing out money for the wedding I just want to keep it simple.
    As others have said, doesn't matter when you get the gift, even the day after works if she is a reasonable person. If it were me, I'd get a cute little something for the V-tines day itself, and a real gift later, for when "I" wanted to gift her. Gifts should mean something, and if V-Tines really isn't your thing, don't make it HAVE TO SPEND MONEY day for you guys. Make a day that means something to the two of you special, like the day you met, first dated, something that she's sure to remember.

Women like simple, unless you were unlucky and are dating, marrying or already married to a magpie. Magpies are into shiny things. "Shiny...shiny.. pretty pretty, see the price tag, oh he loves me!"

But if you think you have to do something for the day, make it something that will become a tradition, something to look forward to.

Here's an idea I'll steal from my dad, get her a necklace or bracelet with a pearl, gold bead, or charm on it. It will be your endless V-Tines tradition , each year you add a new bead/pearl/charm.

My dad did this, for my mom for Mother's day and V-Tines and just because days. He started it when he got back from Viet Nam, brought here two necklaces with pearls on it for the number of years, months, weeks and days he was gone.
    That was three large pearls for the three years.
    Another number of them for the months, weeks and days, all different sizes.
    Those to strands of pearls were my mom's fav, and his
    Forever Vtines/Mother's Day/Just because, necklace was her special times necklace that just kept growing.
    02-13-09 01:28 PM
    And here is an idea for going forward.

SKIP VALENTINES DAY ALTOGETHER!

Pick six days on the calendar that are not holidays and that
    mean absolutely nothing to either of you. On each of those days
    do something special for her. You will have shown her your love
    year round and not when a made up holiday tells you to.
    It is amazing how much more that will mean to the both of you.

For instance, pick up a gift certificate for a spa treatment.
    On 16 June put it in a card with the simple inscription
    "Just because..."

That's your advice from an old guy.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-13-09 at 03:28 PM.
    02-13-09 03:21 PM
    Valentine's Day is just a big made up consumer holiday meant to boost the sales of flowers, chocolate and jewelry. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that our country's intimacy levels actually decrease on February 14th.

SKIP IT!!!
    02-13-09 03:27 PM
    ^thats what I do. Actually I "disappear" on all holidays.

They get mad but they eventually get over it.

02-13-09 03:39 PM
    AG, I do the "Just Because" thing too...
    02-13-09 03:43 PM
    ^^Usual Supsects fan yes?
    02-13-09 05:00 PM
    My wife and I treat it as any other day as well. I do random things for her throughout the year and I always have. Its a hallmark holiday.

02-13-09 07:47 PM
    And here is an idea for going forward.

SKIP VALENTINES DAY ALTOGETHER!

Pick six days on the calendar that are not holidays and that
    mean absolutely nothing to either of you. On each of those days
    do something special for her. You will have shown her your love
    year round and not when a made up holiday tells you to.
    It is amazing how much more that will mean to the both of you.

For instance, pick up a gift certificate for a spa treatment.
    On 16 June put it in a card with the simple inscription
    "Just because..."

That's your advice from an old guy.
    great idea AG!!! thx...
    02-13-09 10:11 PM
    Valentines day is everyday. Similar to the question I asked my parents when younger...If there is a mothers and fathers day, when is kids day? They replied, kids day is everyday. I only had to agree. When you get married you make a LIFELONG COMMITMENT, and you should love your spouse everyday the same way!!!!! but no....doesn't matter when you get a gift to give. unless you forget...or she gives you a gift and you didn't think she was going too and then you go buy a gift cause you gotta even up.

But seriously...for anyone that is married or is going to get married at some point in your life....read the book "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. It's great if you are in a leadership position at work or your own company too.
    02-14-09 08:32 PM
    ^^Usual Supsects fan yes?
    You got that right brotha, alot of people ask about the quote but not alot know the movie it came from...
    02-14-09 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD