RIM is NOT dead. They are in good shape and just becase their quarter wasn't as good as their previous ones, that does not mean much. So what if they're losing market share in America? Look how well they're doing outside of America. There are well over 200 countries in this world, America only counts for one.

Enough with the over-reactions; RIM still holds high market share in Canada, and back in the Middle East where I visit Kuwait and UAE a lot, EVERYONE has a BlackBerry, and I mean E V E R Y O N E.

Enough with the bashing and trolling, RIM will make a comeback in America, and for those that think the Bold Touch 9900 is out of date and dead on arrival, you tell me how many other phones out there have NFC built-in, a 1.2Ghz processor, a sleek look, and EXCELLENT battery life. I'm pretty sure Android phones, though they are nice and are pretty d*mn decent, can barely last a day.

/endrant
    06-23-11 08:28 AM
    RIM is NOT dead. They are in good shape and just becase their quarter wasn't as good as their previous ones, that does not mean much. So what if they're losing market share in America? Look how well they're doing outside of America. There are well over 200 countries in this world, America only counts for one.

Enough with the over-reactions; RIM still holds high market share in Canada, and back in the Middle East where I visit Kuwait and UAE a lot, EVERYONE has a BlackBerry, and I mean E V E R Y O N E.

Enough with the bashing and trolling, RIM will make a comeback in America, and for those that think the Bold Touch 9900 is out of date and dead on arrival, you tell me how many other phones out there have NFC built-in, a 1.2Ghz processor, a sleek look, and EXCELLENT battery life. I'm pretty sure Android phones, though they are nice and are pretty d*mn decent, can barely last a day.

/endrant

I agree that RIM is not dead. I don't agree they are not in trouble. I also agree that the 9900 looks good, and up to date.

If you want to know why everyone worries about America, look at GDP as a measure of influence. This link has a bit dated chart, but you get the idea. I am not saying the US is better than any other country, so please don't attack me. But the US does matter as far as economic impact more than a lot of other countries, including Canada. It does not have to do with national pride (although I am proud of where I live, we all should be or move), it is numbers and true trend influence.

Global GDP by Country
    Last edited by dbw1000; 06-23-11 at 08:55 AM.
    06-23-11 08:52 AM
    From an economic standpoint, you have my full support. America definitely is a major game-changer when it comes to financials. However, I don't think that people should go on a whim and state that RIM is dead, only because it's not doing that well in one country.. We North Americans definitely are tech savvy and want the latest and greatest. Yes, RIM may be a little slow, but not everyone on this planet cares. Most of the people outside of North America that get a Blackberry think "well, my friends have BBM and I want one!"
    Which leads me to say, RIM announced the expected release of the new OS 7 phones will be Summer of 2011, nobody said anything about an end of June/beginning of July release.. although you never know..
    06-23-11 09:13 AM
    Just because some random guy said RIM has 2 billion in cash doesn't mean jack.

Nokia has 15 billion and look where they are at...wow.

Having an amount of cash, $, doesn't mean jack if it doesn't yield anything.

Nokia Corporation Cash on Hand (NOK)

BTW, Nokia is still profitable and look where there are at...
    The difference is RIM has much on the horizon (new awesome phones coming out, new OS this year - new QNX next year.

I really dont think you can compare Nokia and RIM - you are comparing a cell phone manuf that never quite transitioned to the smartphone realm with a manuf that pioneered the smart phone. Ive had a cell phone for like 12 years now - owned one Nokia (dumb phone) and it broke on me.
    06-23-11 09:19 AM
    I agree that RIM is not dead.[/url]
    Have you seen "Princess Bride"? Can we agree that RIM is "mostly dead"?
    06-23-11 09:35 AM
    The difference is RIM has much on the horizon (new awesome phones coming out, new OS this year - new QNX next year.

I really dont think you can compare Nokia and RIM - you are comparing a cell phone manuf that never quite transitioned to the smartphone realm with a manuf that pioneered the smart phone. Ive had a cell phone for like 12 years now - owned one Nokia (dumb phone) and it broke on me.
    Nokia has been making smartphones for years.
    06-23-11 09:38 AM
    Nokia has been making smartphones for years.
    Thats just my point - like 10 people in the country know that and only 7 of them actually own one.
    06-23-11 01:06 PM
    But do you have any confidence that they'll be able to execute on it all flawlessly (which they basically need to do), and not only that, consumers will need to embrace it all heavily, even the interim phones (recently delayed OS7 ones) have to be successful to avoid more months of dreadfulness.

This is the thing with RIM, are they dead? No not yet. But they haven't shown that they'll be able to dig themselves out of this hole. They'll have to really surprise and wow people within the next year but once again, they haven't shown that they can.

Execution is key. Either way, should be interesting.
    06-23-11 02:39 PM
    06-23-11 02:48 PM
    one analyst even has them rated at outperform or `buy`!! stock almost up to $30 now, however the whole kodak issue could be a problem still
    06-23-11 03:06 PM
    Thats just my point - like 10 people in the country know that and only 7 of them actually own one.
    There is a whole world outside the US.
    raji.t likes this.
    06-23-11 04:07 PM
    It's up 5.5%. More than likely due to Microsoft/Dell buyout rumors.

It lost over 27% last Friday alone.
    Last edited by ScottsdaleHokie; 06-23-11 at 06:07 PM.
    06-23-11 06:04 PM
    I think people realize that. The anti-US responses on CrackBerry are growing as bad as the anti-RIM. It is sad. I don't think it adds to the conversations.
    06-23-11 06:23 PM
    Obviously he was talking about the US market. Nokia basically has no presence here.

For this comment, the rest of the world does not matter.
    06-23-11 07:32 PM
    As much as RIM is in a major down turn, they are not completely dead. They still have a major business presence. They have a considerable footprint there, but others are making quick inroads. Where RIM is all but dead in the US consumer market, which is a huge reason the vultures are circling.
    06-23-11 08:28 PM
    Obviously he was talking about the US market. Nokia basically has no presence here.

For this comment, the rest of the world does not matter.
    It does to RIM. That's where most of their growth has been coming from.
    06-23-11 09:08 PM
    I'd say RIM is on life support, and in critical condition. Honestly their devices aren't compelling to the majority of the consumers, and while almost everyone here is in love with Blackberry, there are a vast majority that are not. Sorry but bumped up hardware specs is not a compelling upgrade when you look at how each iteration of the iPhone, or whatever the next generation Android phone released offers in not only software and hardware. Factor in the fact that those devices run the apps people want. Blackberry apps are cheap knock offs or just poorly developed with a handful of actual decent apps. If the trend of RIM's downfall continues, I predict by this time next year someone else will own them, most likely Apple or MS, considering how much cash they both have to easily swallow up RIM.
    06-23-11 09:11 PM
    I think people realize that. The anti-US responses on CrackBerry are growing as bad as the anti-RIM. It is sad. I don't think it adds to the conversations.
    How is pointing out that the US is not the only country in the world anti-American.
    06-23-11 09:11 PM
    That is not an OS issue, that is an app issue.
    Well Google should give the developers of Gmail, Google Maps, Latitude, Google Talk and the onboard camera tihs, because these apps freeze up my phone.

The Android OS is buggy and like some high school geek's science project. Case in point: My Nexus S and Nexus One regularly disconnect from my car's bluetooth system. This never happens with my Blackberry.

Second issue that bugs me: I tether my Playbook to my Nexus S using the wifi hotspot feature of the Nexus S. The two are never more than 6 inches apart, yet my PB loses the wifi connection of my Nexus S regularly. Is there such a thing as being too close????

When I connect my PB to my Torch with wifi, the connection is always solid, robust and reliable. When I connect my PB to my home wifi network, the connection is always solid, reliable and robust.

If the iphone 5 is a home run, I may have to switch over. RIM is DOA and Android bugs drive me crazy.

I hope RIM can pull out of this nose dive.

Bring out a damn phone with wifi hotspot, a front facing camera, Skype, FTP software and Teamviewer and I will shut my mouth.
    07-01-11 02:38 AM

Bring out a damn phone with wifi hotspot, a front facing camera, Skype, FTP software and Teamviewer and I will shut my mouth.
    Damn! You've just about picked out 5 features that RIM will probably never do. Not this year anyway.
    07-01-11 02:44 AM
    Damn! You've just about picked out 5 features that RIM will probably never do. Not this year anyway.
    Yes, I know. RIm thinks it is momentous to announce features that other manufacturers have had for 2 years.

How is Brisbane? I love that city. I stayed in Ascot last year. I used my Android on Telstra with a prepaid.
    07-01-11 03:23 AM
    Brisbane is nice at the moment. Coming into winter, so getting cool. Not anything like you guys, but cool for us!

I love Vancouver as well! Funny. We often visit family in Portland, so fly into Vancouver and drive down.
    07-01-11 03:37 AM
    Brisbane is nice at the moment. Coming into winter, so getting cool. Not anything like you guys, but cool for us!

I love Vancouver as well! Funny. We often visit family in Portland, so fly into Vancouver and drive down.
    I had a really good dinner at Moda, downtown on Edward Street. Have you been there? Did it survive the flood? That floating restaurant on the river didn't.
    07-01-11 03:53 AM
    I had a really good dinner at Moda, downtown on Edward Street. Have you been there? Did it survive the flood? That floating restaurant on the river didn't.
    Haven't been to that one, sorry. A lot of the businesses downtown were affected. They all seem to be back in shape now though. Funnily enough, that restaurant you said that got washed away was called Drift ... and has since re-opened less than 100 meters from my house now. Looking out my window i can see their lights on now. (It's 10:57pm here now)
    07-01-11 07:56 AM
99 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD