Some people these days. RIM IS NOT DEAD! But they are in trouble. If anyone remembers in 1995-1996, Apple almost went backrupt because they werent selling enough ipods to cover their expenses. Steve Jobs said that they were 90 days away from bankruptcy, and now they are among the top. Now RIMM has to reinvent themselves. This is business and all businesses go through the business cycle.
    In my accounting course several years ago, we discussed the four traits of a successful company. A competent CEO (1), timely and accurate financial statements, trained and motivated employees, and loyal customers.

Blackberry customers are jumping ship like never before. Their core business users have jumped shipped or are testing android and iphone. Lazaridis in particular is a disaster. I can't believe you compared Steve Jobs to this crying clown. You can continue to have faith, but I know I wouldn't follow a leader who weeps during turbulent times.
    06-19-11 06:20 PM
    I have a feeling that RIM as we know and love will not be around within the next two years, as they are a prime takeover target as the stock gets closer to $20/share.
    06-19-11 07:27 PM
    I came to BB from Palm, my Palm was having problems and I needed to get a phone. Didn't want an Iphone, and I don't trust Google, my choice was BB. I know everyone loves their BB, but I didn't like it half as much as my Palm. I am always disappointed to see apps for Iphone and Android but not for Blackberry.

I am hoping by the time my new phone time is due, something comes along, but it doesn't look good for BB outside the corporate world.
    06-19-11 07:47 PM
    Dead? Anything but. Losing marketshare and no longer leading? Absolutely. But what difference does it really make to end users anyway?

They don't have to be number 1 or number 2 in units/revenue/apps/whatever to put out a product. I don't buy my phones based on marketshare and based on what everyone else has, RIM makes the absolute best phone that suits my needs. And I know I'm not the only person who feels that way.

They're a very stable company financially, and will continue to make phones for the foreseeable future. As far as I'm concerned they can be number 1 or 100, as long as they continue to make a phone I want.
    Definitely agree with this ... to a point. As long as RIM is in business, I'll most likely be using a BlackBerry. With all the other manufacturers out there, I've yet to find anything else that works as well for me. What does concern me, however, is if they continue this downward slide, they'll resort to other means to remain profitable, like cutting corners and letting quality slip in order to maintain profit margins. They then go from owning the mid-level market to being just another flopper in the bargain bin. I'm sure that's not where any of us want to see this company go. I'm very hopeful that the OS7 phones will help stop the slide, and the QNX phones will actually turn things around for them.

I came to BB from Palm, my Palm was having problems and I needed to get a phone. Didn't want an Iphone, and I don't trust Google, my choice was BB. I know everyone loves their BB, but I didn't like it half as much as my Palm. I am always disappointed to see apps for Iphone and Android but not for Blackberry.

I am hoping by the time my new phone time is due, something comes along, but it doesn't look good for BB outside the corporate world.
    Coming from a Palm and you're disappointed with the availability of apps for BB?
    06-19-11 08:40 PM
    Can I just ask why users of the device have such a deeply vested interest in the success of a company whose earnings don't go in their personal checking accounts?

I can appreciate that we all like the BlackBerry and enjoy using it. But are RIM's sales that big of a deal that you really feel gloom for the company's outlook on quarterly reports?

Don't wanna be the guy walking on stage at a concert and asking, "Why do you like this music?" but I'm curious as to the thought process and the gang element behind inanimate objects.
    I wonder the same but only why do users of other devices have such a deeply vested interest in the failure of a company that doesn't effect them one way or another or the company they choose who doesn't effect their account either.

I can appreciate that they all like their iphone/android and enjoy using them. But is another companies slaes that big of a deal to them that need/desire that they fail?

I'm also curious as the thought process and the gang element behind inanimate objects also.

My guess is that they need to fill empty space in their life or something they are lacking from their parents. Maybe it's the me generation where no every loses and everyone is special because they are them?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-19-11 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typos, and a change to first paragraph
    06-19-11 08:43 PM
    Can I just ask why users of the device have such a deeply vested interest in the success of a company whose earnings don't go in their personal checking accounts?

I can appreciate that we all like the BlackBerry and enjoy using it. But are RIM's sales that big of a deal that you really feel gloom for the company's outlook on quarterly reports? ...
    For me, the quarterly reports point to the viability of the company as a stand-alone entity. If a company is bought out, there is no guarantee product development will continue in the current direction. These reports are are also an indication of whether the products and services - both corporate and third party - will continue to grow and evolve, as well as at what rate.

Highly popular products sold and supported by a well funded firm with a high market cap stand the best chance of being - and remaining - stable, highly functional products with a large supporting eco-system. Current quarterly reports show RIM is doing well on on their balance sheet but poorly on their income statement (for the industry they're in), which will negatively impact their balance sheet sooner or later. They show product popularity waning for their traditional product line, and not great out of the gate for their new one (Playbook). The street's reaction, to significantly decrease their market cap, makes them way more vulnerable to a takeover.

From a company perspective, I care because I'm choosing tech for our company. We have to invest in the products, the support systems, and the internal knowledge to set them up properly and support our users. And since we're big believers in employee buy-in, we want them to "want" to use the tools we provide - it makes adoption that much easier when we're not "forcing" tools on people.

From a personal perspective, I care because I like to learn and work with what I use - I'm a gadget junkie - but I don't have time to keep re-learning from the ground up. I want to leverage what I learn. I also care personally because I rely on my electronics to keep my productivity up and my life organized - to that end, I want the best, and what will continue to be the best.

If I was one person with lots of time on my hands, just tinkering with my phone for fun with unlimited funds to buy a new one whenever I wished, I probably wouldn't care so much.

- R.
    ThatsAngel likes this.
    06-19-11 09:21 PM
    In the face of almost certain uncertainty on this planet might as well close up shop.
    06-19-11 09:27 PM
    That's true. In fact, they didn't sell a single iPod in 1995 or 1996, mainly because the iPod wasn't introduced until 2001.
    LOL!

[offtopic]This made me wish there was a LOL button as an alternative to the Thanks button. I'm wiping Mtn. Dew off my monitor.
    06-19-11 10:27 PM
    That's true. In fact, they didn't sell a single iPod in 1995 or 1996, mainly because the iPod wasn't introduced until 2001.
    My apologetics, I meant to say their Powerbook 5300 computer. Your sarcasm is appreciated.
    06-19-11 11:11 PM
    My apologetics, I meant to say their Powerbook 5300 computer. Your sarcasm is appreciated.
    In fairness to you, it's not like there's any real difference between the iPod and the PowerBook 5300 other than price, function, size, shape, year of release, decade of release, millenium of release, etc. Other than these minor issues, the products could easily be confused.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-19-11 11:40 PM
    RIM,

Pull your head out of your @$$ before it's too late. The writing is on the wall. You were late to market with the BB App World, late to market with anything innovative past the 9650, and what do you have now??? Woahhhhh a 9700??? Oh wait you have an underpowerd 9900. Yeah smooth move RIM.

You paved the way, used to be the king, but your getting smoked by little green robots and Apple. Your apps are like looking at Windows 98 compared to Android and iOS.

Years ago the BB was the 'must have' device, not it's a 'have been' device. I only have one friend left who has a BB.

Sorry but it's too late.
    06-20-11 04:21 AM
    RIM,

Pull your head out of your @$$ before it's too late. The writing is on the wall. You were late to market with the BB App World, late to market with anything innovative past the 9650, and what do you have now??? Woahhhhh a 9700??? Oh wait you have an underpowerd 9900. Yeah smooth move RIM.

You paved the way, used to be the king, but your getting smoked by little green robots and Apple. Your apps are like looking at Windows 98 compared to Android and iOS.

Years ago the BB was the 'must have' device, not it's a 'have been' device. I only have one friend left who has a BB.

Sorry but it's too late.
    I am soooo tired of seeing this kind of drivel that's critical just for the sake of being critical from people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Exactly how is the 9900 underpowered? Have you read anything at all about the 99## series? Have you read anything at all on this board regarding how little specifications have to do with anything, particularly when it comes to productivity and all-around usability?
    06-20-11 06:19 AM
    It would be nice to hear what Kevin has to say about all this negative talk. Not hearing anything from him sure makes me feel that mayb RIM is dead in the water! Iphone 5 is looking better and better!
    Kevin sounded VERY dissapointed on the latest podcast. Speaking of the iphone..Sprint is looking more likely to get the iphone 4S w/new iOS5 (w/imessenger) A5 1.2ghz processor and possible 32GB or 64GB options.IF? Apple and Sprint release it around the September dates, Sprint will hype the heck out of iphone coming to Sprint, making the Bold 9930 release look minor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 06:34 AM
    Humm, let me see how manufacturers are there of computers? List of computer system manufacturers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many OS's are there? Operating system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the usage of OS's? Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think there is room for all. Yes some have died and are gone or went thru transformation. Unless we all become lemmings or are forced to all comply with what is forced upon us I think people will choose what they like best.

RIM is not dead, sure they have lost some or has apple and android just attracted a better share of new users? Sure some that use to use RIM have left and some new users are using RIM. Unless RIM really puts out some completely horrible devices I think they'll survive. Can they gain some even? Yes if they can get developers to jump on board with QNX. Heck even what I've seen of bb OS7 doesn't look bad.

Yes if I try and like OS7 I will buy one because I'm not worried about my phone not getting QNX if OS7 works perfectly fine and does what I need. By the time my next upgrade comes QNX will have been on phones for a year or better so I'll then know if I want to try one of those phones.
    06-20-11 07:05 AM
    I'm am not an expert with economics, but I sure hope RIM manages to pull through. As one who has had 2 htc Andriod phones through Sprint, a BB 8330, 9330, Tour and Bold (current phone), I personally prefer the Blackberry over the Android and iPhone platforms.

I absolutely cannot stand touch screen phones. my evo was a pain to text on and the evo shift keyboard had the letters spaced too far apart for my liking. That is the reason why both phones had to go.. impulse buys is what they were.

If Blackberry goes under and the phones such as the Curve and Bold become old technology.. I may refuse to use another type of device or go back to using a "dumb phone". The Blackberry is the perfect device in form and function, at least for me. Besides, several people in my family use iPhones and they're a bunch of stuck-up yuppies. Thats a turn-off.

When the Bold Touch shows up at Sprint, I'll be there the first day to buy one.
    06-20-11 08:32 AM
    Besides, several people in my family use iPhones and they're a bunch of stuck-up yuppies. Thats a turn-off.
    I think being stuck-up yuppies would be a turn off even if they didn't use iPhones.
    1812dave likes this.
    06-20-11 08:37 AM
    I think being stuck-up yuppies would be a turn off even if they didn't use iPhones.
    LOL, too true.
    06-20-11 08:39 AM
    Exactly how is the 9900 underpowered? Have you read anything at all about the 99## series? Have you read anything at all on this board regarding how little specifications have to do with anything, particularly when it comes to productivity and all-around usability?
    Dude are you serious?? A iPhone 3GS has better resolution than a 9800. There's no comparison on screen resolution to any Andriod phone compared to your crappy *** Torch. Neat, let's build a 9700, add touch, and a slide down keyboard. Same crap, just repainted.

Oh did I ask where the wifi tether is???? What???? Oh that's right, RIM doesn't think end users need wifi tether do they?

Oh I need to pay an extra $20 for BES? Talk about a cash cow, no more, the monopoly on corporate email is over. It's FREE99 on my iPhone.

Plus do you know how difficult it is to deal with RIM to get on BB App World? My god it's a breeze on iOS, Andriod, and Windows Marketplace. My employees makes an app, but were not building it for RIM.

Wait where's my wifi tether again???
    06-21-11 12:00 AM
    Troll thread alert!

Rim isn't dead. They have two billion dollars or possibly more with those investments, so what the FIUCK is your problem trolls? XD

06-21-11 05:07 AM
    Dude are you serious?? A iPhone 3GS has better resolution than a 9800. There's no comparison on screen resolution to any Andriod phone compared to your crappy *** Torch. Neat, let's build a 9700, add touch, and a slide down keyboard. Same crap, just repainted.

Oh did I ask where the wifi tether is???? What???? Oh that's right, RIM doesn't think end users need wifi tether do they?

Oh I need to pay an extra $20 for BES? Talk about a cash cow, no more, the monopoly on corporate email is over. It's FREE99 on my iPhone.

Plus do you know how difficult it is to deal with RIM to get on BB App World? My god it's a breeze on iOS, Andriod, and Windows Marketplace. My employees makes an app, but were not building it for RIM.

Wait where's my wifi tether again???
    Dude are you serious he was talking about the 9900 series that isn't out yet then you compare it to the 9800. I don't know about the rest you may be right.
    06-21-11 05:30 AM
    nearly three years ago i got my bold.

i am maybe a step 'above' the average user, but not addicted to smart phone hype or craziness. ...this is why i think rim is in big trouble.

in the last three years, rim has not released anything that has had uniformly great reviews. they keep releasing things that look and feel 'dated'. your average person doesn't care about os 6 or os 7, they want something simple that works and works well out of the box.

i remember the most time i spent on this site was immediately after getting my bold,...changing configurations of the browser, learning shortcuts..because as some things were intuitive, most were not, and that still seems to be the case.

lets face it, my wifes iphone a child could (and unfortunately do) use, yet the blackberry is harder to figure out.

even the most devoted 'fans' see they released the playbook after apple released two tablets, and that bb touch screen just does not comapre (btw i really really do not like apple)..just stating some facts.

i love my keyboard...but to be frank, it is just not enough to keep me. i will try the touch screen and will probably get used to it in time.

to bring up the iphone again....my dad saw my wife and me facetiming her parents from a hotel lobby...and it blew his mind. so he goes out and bought an iphone...JUST For facetime...this is the type of things bb and rim has to do to broaden their market.

i am canadian, i like rim, i want to support rim, i dislkie apple, but unless some phone comes out soon that not only plays 'catch up', but actually offers something... i to will leave.
    06-21-11 05:36 AM
    nearly three years ago i got my bold.

i am maybe a step 'above' the average user, but not addicted to smart phone hype or craziness. ...this is why i think rim is in big trouble.

in the last three years, rim has not released anything that has had uniformly great reviews. they keep releasing things that look and feel 'dated'. your average person doesn't care about os 6 or os 7, they want something simple that works and works well out of the box.

i remember the most time i spent on this site was immediately after getting my bold,...changing configurations of the browser, learning shortcuts..because as some things were intuitive, most were not, and that still seems to be the case.

lets face it, my wifes iphone a child could (and unfortunately do) use, yet the blackberry is harder to figure out.

even the most devoted 'fans' see they released the playbook after apple released two tablets, and that bb touch screen just does not comapre (btw i really really do not like apple)..just stating some facts.

i love my keyboard...but to be frank, it is just not enough to keep me. i will try the touch screen and will probably get used to it in time.

to bring up the iphone again....my dad saw my wife and me facetiming her parents from a hotel lobby...and it blew his mind. so he goes out and bought an iphone...JUST For facetime...this is the type of things bb and rim has to do to broaden their market.

i am canadian, i like rim, i want to support rim, i dislkie apple, but unless some phone comes out soon that not only plays 'catch up', but actually offers something... i to will leave.
    I think there quite a lot that think they want facetime until they've used it a couple times then they never use it again. It is good for families that are apart but just for every day calls that people hardly ever make anymore a lot will not facetime.

BTW I think the bb OS is easy but then again maybe I'm just smarter than some people.........yes that is sarcasm.
    06-21-11 05:45 AM
    i hear you about facetime. i would never use it myself for local calls....but as someone who lives 5000km from his parents and is expecting his first child, it really does help you feel more 'connected' to your family.

to expand my point a bit, here is a 63 year old nearly computer illeterate (sorry dad) dude, who goes out and buys a phone for one amazing feature. RIM needs to think of things that will get some new users or else their market share will continue to plummet, and eventually even the die-hards will jump ship, as everyone else did so their phones will not be as compatible as the majority of their family and friends.

rim needs to innovate, not play catch up.
    06-21-11 06:51 AM
    Troll thread alert!

Rim isn't dead. They have two billion dollars or possibly more with those investments, so what the FIUCK is your problem trolls? XD

Just because some random guy said RIM has 2 billion in cash doesn't mean jack.

Nokia has 15 billion and look where they are at...wow.

Having an amount of cash, $, doesn't mean jack if it doesn't yield anything.

Nokia Corporation Cash on Hand (NOK)

BTW, Nokia is still profitable and look where there are at...
    06-22-11 11:52 PM
    Coming from a Palm and you're disappointed with the availability of apps for BB?
    PalmOS had a huge app catalog.
    06-23-11 08:11 AM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD