If RIM wants any chance at surviving, they have to release their true next-gen phones with QNX by early November in time for Christmas. Anything less is unacceptable.

They need to drop everything and focus all their efforts in this goal.

They've d*cked around long enough... it's do or die time. It's their choice.
    06-18-11 07:07 PM
    If RIM wants any chance at surviving, they have to release their true next-gen phones with QNX by early November in time for Christmas. Anything less is unacceptable.

This will NEVER happen! I mean os 7 phones will barely be out
    06-18-11 07:13 PM
    Then it's over.
    06-18-11 07:30 PM
    The way the plan is going, QNX IS supposed to come out shortly after OS 7. This is bonkers cuz they've stated that the phones coming out this summer will not get QNX. 1. How pissed off are OS7 customers going to be when they find out they're at a dead end. 2. Who's going to buy OS7 phones knowing that these phones will virtually be abandoned in 6 months.

RIM needs new planners. RIM QNX = Nokia/Intel Meego
    Last edited by boldman4; 06-18-11 at 07:41 PM.
    06-18-11 07:38 PM
    The way the plan is going, QNX IS supposed to come out shortly after OS 7. This is bonkers cuz they've stated that the phones coming out this summer will not get QNX. 1. How pissed off are OS7 customers going to be when they find out they're at a dead end. 2. Who's going to buy OS7 phones knowing that these phones will virtually be abandoned in 6 months.

Given the glacier pace to which RIM releases anything, combined with overhyping and underperforming, I dont think the OS7 phone buyers will be mad. Most of the people who buy these phones will be dead by the time RIM gets around to releasing a QNX phone.

Granted, thats a sarcastic comment, but I just dont believe that RIM will be able to follow through on their timelines for QNX phones. For that matter, I doubt RIM can follow through on anything they promise at this point.

It's heartbreaking to see how much my favourite company has fallen.
    06-18-11 08:49 PM

Do Curve owners get "pissed off" when a new Bold comes out?
    OS7 and QNX are going to be different class phones.

People get pissed when RIM doesn't release phones fast enough, then they get pissed if they release them too close together.

Too many drama queens around here
    maddie1128 and homer1475 like this.
    06-18-11 09:00 PM

People get pissed when RIM doesn't release phones fast enough, then they get pissed if they release them too close together.

And THAT mode of thinking, my friends, is exactly why RIMM plummeted 22% on Friday. You need to put fire to their feet.
    06-18-11 09:16 PM

They won't do this. I *agree* with you, but they won't do this... they will be lucky to have os7 device(s) available by then.
    06-18-11 09:21 PM

No OS7 and QNX are not different class phones. QNX is replacing OS7. That is different. They would be different class phones if they were offered at the same time! I understand transition is difficult but RIM is failing so bad at the transition! Or so it seems anyways!
    06-18-11 09:36 PM
    [QUOTE=mjs416;6420021]When a company starts believing a reduction in force will save the company - they are almost most definitely beyond repair since they most likely have tried everything else.

Co-CEOs had that OMFG! moment when they saw NA market revenue go down 36% year-over-year. No company shrinks to greatest. For now I will give them the benefit as there have been many acquisitions in the last few years and now streamlining needs to take place.

It's clear their relationship with Marvell for CPUs was not providing the "horsepower" comparable to the competition. Can you imagine if RIM released a 800 Mhz cpu in 9900 in the fall?

Changing to faster CPU caused the product launch delays but I put the blame squarely on Mike Lazaridis. For years, hubris of Co-CEOs caused them to rest on their laurels with just-good-enough products and milking those +40 gross margins. Android has changed the product cycle from 12-18 months to just about 9 months. RIM is not moving fast enough.
    06-18-11 11:13 PM
    I love competition! Without Apple and Android, RIM would never have made the QNX acquisition. RIM has some of the best performing hardware on the market.

They have taken a beating because of their late response to innovate, or should I say for their lack of communicating their plans and vision, because their plans were well underway before we heard about them.

RIM has a communication/messaging issue and because of this the market has lost faith. I have tested both iPhone and Android products and they suck at all the things that RIM is amazing at! I would never consider switching to a less than capable product. I am not saying that those other products do not have a good feature set, they just do not have the features and capabilities I need and want in a phone.

Why is RIM not eliminating the doubt in investors minds? They make product announcements that are vague and lacking details (i.e. Native PIM in 60 days - Give me an actual release date and tell me some specifics on the capabilities; OS7 for late 2011; QNX for early 2012 - Are OS7 devices going to be upgradable to QNX? Why the transition phase to begin with???) RIM is behind the innovation curve ball and Jim and Mike believe that investors (both stock and product users) will just continue to buy RIM because they have historically done an OK job of delivery products and capabilities in the past. Well guess what - they are not! Gentlemen what we have here is a failure to communicate! The worst thing in the world is not knowing. I trust and have faith in Jim and Mike - no doubt, the problem is that not everyone feels the same way.

RIM needs to hire a good PR firm and while they are at it they should also hire a good Marketing company. RIM has great products and QNX is awesome but if nobody knows about it, what difference does it make?
    06-19-11 09:24 AM
    Why would RIM put out a device with �ber specs if it would need to be charged every four hours? If Android device manufacturers can't do it, why does anybody think RIM can? Perhaps RIM just knows it's not feasible with today's battery technology. And if Android is already so great, why are any of the people who think so still complaining about RIM? It's almost as if they want BlackBerries to suck as much as Androids. Misery loves company, etc. Seems simple: if Android's the answer, go to Android and be happy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    southlander likes this.
    06-19-11 09:48 AM
    Does anyone remember when Apple was declared "Dead" ??
    06-19-11 10:16 AM
    I would disagree. I think the problem is that they're rooted too deep. They need to pull those roots and move on.
    I agree. It's OK to remember your roots, but if they're planted too deep you can't move at all, let alone at market speeds.
    06-19-11 10:37 AM
    I love competition! Without Apple and Android, RIM would never have made the QNX acquisition. RIM has some of the best performing hardware on the market.

They have taken a beating because of their late response to innovate, or should I say for their lack of communicating their plans and vision, because their plans were well underway before we heard about them.

RIM has a communication/messaging issue and because of this the market has lost faith. I have tested both iPhone and Android products and they suck at all the things that RIM is amazing at! I would never consider switching to a less than capable product. I am not saying that those other products do not have a good feature set, they just do not have the features and capabilities I need and want in a phone.

Why is RIM not eliminating the doubt in investors minds? They make product announcements that are vague and lacking details (i.e. Native PIM in 60 days - Give me an actual release date and tell me some specifics on the capabilities; OS7 for late 2011; QNX for early 2012 - Are OS7 devices going to be upgradable to QNX? Why the transition phase to begin with???) RIM is behind the innovation curve ball and Jim and Mike believe that investors (both stock and product users) will just continue to buy RIM because they have historically done an OK job of delivery products and capabilities in the past. Well guess what - they are not! Gentlemen what we have here is a failure to communicate! The worst thing in the world is not knowing. I trust and have faith in Jim and Mike - no doubt, the problem is that not everyone feels the same way.

RIM needs to hire a good PR firm and while they are at it they should also hire a good Marketing company. RIM has great products and QNX is awesome but if nobody knows about it, what difference does it make?
    "What we have here... is failure to communicate."
    06-19-11 11:40 AM
    The USA will be bankrupted before RIM is. Or RIM can do what the USA is doing and borrow some engineers and money from China until they get pass this rough spot.
    06-19-11 12:39 PM
    The USA will be bankrupted before RIM is.
    Yea, ok. I don't see that happening at all.

I don't think RIM is going to die any time soon. I just think they will be in a world of hurt for a while.
    06-19-11 12:43 PM
    Yea, ok. I don't see that happening at all.

I don't think RIM is going to die any time soon. I just think they will be in a world of hurt for a while.
    It was a joke.

RIM is positive cash flow. They will not be going out of business because the Canadian Gov would help them like they did with Nortel (before they found out the CEO/CFO was ripping the company off), and GM.
    06-19-11 02:32 PM
    Dead? Anything but. Losing marketshare and no longer leading? Absolutely. But what difference does it really make to end users anyway?

They don't have to be number 1 or number 2 in units/revenue/apps/whatever to put out a product. I don't buy my phones based on marketshare and based on what everyone else has, RIM makes the absolute best phone that suits my needs. And I know I'm not the only person who feels that way.

They're a very stable company financially, and will continue to make phones for the foreseeable future. As far as I'm concerned they can be number 1 or 100, as long as they continue to make a phone I want.
    06-19-11 02:52 PM
    Hey Guys,

Here's the podcast re: the earnings call.

http://crackberry.com/crackberry-pod...r-here-we-hope

It's definitely a bit doomy and gloomy, but honest enough. I still have faith.

RIM has the capabilities from a tech and platform standpoint now.. they just need to get it together, and put out some products so AWESOME they make people forget about this negative sentiment people are having. Won't be easy, but I think they can do it.
    for some reason the playbook podcast app won't download. It shows up but keeps saying failed.
    06-19-11 03:20 PM
    Everyone is talking about how the Apple iphone is going to put RIM out of business. Well the iphone is not doing that great either. Their market share is stagnant over the last year. Granted, the market is growing, but RIM is adding subscribers every quarter too.

Features in the iphone 5 such as notifications is already available in Android. I get a rolling sign band at the top of my screen of my messages.

The killer is Android. They are eating everyone's lunch.

RIM screwed up being greedy and feeding at the corporate trough.

I remember wanting a blackberry from when they first came out, but they ignored the consumer market. Their handsets were expensive and you need a BES server. BIS data plans were atrociously expensive, with 3 mb of data costing $100/month.

I went to Palm for mobile email. Data plans were cheaper and getting email every 15 or 30 minutes by pulling was nirvana.

In Canada, we have Apple to thank for bringing the cost of data plans down. I now pay $30/month for 6 GB of data.

We have Google to thank for a push email and a feature rich user experience on the Android and iphone.

If RIM wants to be relevant, and I think they can do it, they need to do the following:

1. All phones on QNX as soon as possible.

2. Only produce 3 models of phones. A touch screen, a hybrid touch screen with slide out keyboard and a hybrid touch screen with a fixed keyboard.

3. Be able to run Android apps. I have free apps on Android that are not available on Blackberry such as TeamViewer, NAS access and FTP ability.

4. Get rid of the co-CEO structure. This management structure is the laughing stock of the corporate world.

5. Quit trying to protect the BES and BES lite market and give the consumer a better email experience where your mobile email and PC email are always synced like on Android and Apple.

6. If the stock continues to tank, take the company private. I can't believe all the Apple fans that want to see only 1 phone manufacturer. Lack of choice never leads to lower prices and innovation and is bad for consumers.

7. Stop listening to Blackberry Fan bois that every thing is okay and your products are relevant. If you do, you will be out of business quicker than you can say Palm Pre.

8. Pay a dividend so investors take a gamble on your stock. Right now, there is no incentive to take a risk on your stock if the price continues to slide and you have no vision or plan.

9. Drop your prices until you bring out better products. You are trying to sell your phones for the same price as an iphone or Android phone. Sorry, your product does not compare and is not worth this money until you pull up your pants. I am not going to pay BMW pricing for a Hyundai.

I have bought every new Blackberry over the last 5 years on launch day. I see nothing in their current line up that interests me.

I use both the Blackberry, iphone 3GS and Google Nexus S.

I use the Blackberry for work and love the form factor, and keyboard for typing lots of messages. Battery life is great.

The Google S is my personal phone for evenings and weekends and I love this phone too.

I hardly use the iphone anymore. Great apps, but I prefer the Android OS features better, so have no time to use the iphone.
    06-19-11 04:03 PM
    Some people these days. RIM IS NOT DEAD! But they are in trouble. If anyone remembers in 1995-1996, Apple almost went backrupt because they werent selling enough ipods to cover their expenses. Steve Jobs said that they were 90 days away from bankruptcy, and now they are among the top. Now RIMM has to reinvent themselves. This is business and all businesses go through the business cycle.
    06-19-11 04:31 PM
    Can I just ask why users of the device have such a deeply vested interest in the success of a company whose earnings don't go in their personal checking accounts?

I can appreciate that we all like the BlackBerry and enjoy using it. But are RIM's sales that big of a deal that you really feel gloom for the company's outlook on quarterly reports?

Don't wanna be the guy walking on stage at a concert and asking, "Why do you like this music?" but I'm curious as to the thought process and the gang element behind inanimate objects.
    06-19-11 05:47 PM
    You answered your own question buddy.
    06-19-11 05:57 PM
    If anyone remembers in 1995-1996, Apple almost went backrupt because they werent selling enough ipods to cover their expenses.
    That's true. In fact, they didn't sell a single iPod in 1995 or 1996, mainly because the iPod wasn't introduced until 2001.
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    06-19-11 06:05 PM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD