I just survived a company downsizing and a few of my close friends did not. Any advice for this Guilt that comes with surviving? What do I say, what can I do for the ones who had to go?
    03-27-09 11:17 AM
    I went through that not too long ago. It really sucks when it happens.

First you shouldn't feel guilty for having a job. At this point you should just be thankful that you either did your job well, are in a needed position or just plain lucky. The fact that other are not as fortunate is no reason to feel guilt, unless you were the one picking who gets let go.

Second, the best thing in the world you can do is to be supportive. Offer them help if they need it. Offer to be a reference and see if you can find anyone in your industry that is hiring. I was able to find 2 jobs at 2 different companies for a couple of my former co-workers.

Times are tuff right now. I hope they can land on their feet.
    03-27-09 11:40 AM
    Thanks! That is very good advice.
    03-27-09 11:50 AM
    Been on an unpaid layoff for two months...I understand your feelings however, you have to look out for yourself at this point with what is going on in the workplace. Let them know you will do anything you can to help them land a new position but be grateful that you are employed.
    03-27-09 12:26 PM
    Don't Feel Guilty...

Remember, especially if you have mouths to feed at home, they come first.

No job means no money, no money means no food/gas/shelter/car payments/ etc...

It sounds harsh, but it's the reality.

Survival of the fittest I say...

But always offer a helping hand, so long as it isn't to your detriment.

Remember, you and your family come first. (That's assuming you have a family already.)
    03-27-09 12:35 PM
    I just survived a company downsizing and a few of my close friends did not. Any advice for this Guilt that comes with surviving? What do I say, what can I do for the ones who had to go?
    Just do your best to support them, they are going to need hopes and dreams to get another job( at least that's how it's portrayed ) just be the friend you have been to them and everything else will work itself out!
    03-27-09 02:07 PM
    ...to be honest, I don't think there is much one can say/do. Just be thankful; albeit, help others if you can. Whether it be help them get a C.V. together or point them in the right direction for job sites, etc...
    03-27-09 02:58 PM
    Be thoughtful. Be grateful. Be prepared. For you are probably next.
    03-27-09 04:40 PM
    ...Be prepared. For you are probably next.
    So very true! Don't get too comfortable, and have a "Plan B".

My brother was in the same situation as you, and about a month after the first cut (which he survived), his company had round 2 of lay offs and he got cut.

Best of luck!
    03-28-09 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD