So I've read lots about people still using their Playbooks, Z10s and even BBOS devices.

What's the oldest "still running" device you have, and is it really "still working" and used for anything real or is it just a hunk of metal kept for nostalgia purposes and used for turning electrical charge into light, heat or sound?

I'll start - I've got a Commodore64. It still works. So does the 1541 drive with it. Not really used for anything. I flashed it up last year, first time in probably 25 years, just to confirm it still works.
    10-28-20 07:44 PM
    I can't touch your Commodore, but my oldest gadget is a Palm M515 pda. It still works fine - fired it up a couple of months ago just for kicks. I think it was purchased in 2000 or 2001. I never really used it for all that much but it was bought for me by an employer for my work. Obviously have no use for it now although I could use it as an alarm clock with the stand/charger it came with.
    10-28-20 07:49 PM
    I can't touch your Commodore, but my oldest gadget is a Palm M515 pda. It still works fine - fired it up a couple of months ago just for kicks. I think it was purchased in 2000 or 2001. I never really used it for all that much but it was bought for me by an employer for my work. Obviously have no use for it now although I could use it as an alarm clock with the stand/charger it came with.
    Now that's neat. Reminds me that I have a palm something somewhere also. It would be totally useless now. Not even useful as a toy device for kids. The cradle had a serial port connector I think for connecting with a PC.
    10-28-20 07:55 PM
    The oldest device I have is a Psion 5 MX Pro from 20 years ago. It takes two AA batteries (so no worn out battery problems) has a mono screen with a dim green back light and a stylus. It's in perfect condition with its original Psion leather wallet pouch and works perfectly. No Internet connection (although you could get an infrared receiver for it that plugged into an ethernet cable. I've still got hundreds of apps and games for it on a compact flash card that slides in one end of the device. The clamshell keyboard design was brilliant for the time. Also had the Psion Net book Linux prototype at one stage (based on the larger Psion 7) but I don't know where that is any more. For those that don't know what this device was..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_5

Posted via CB10
    10-29-20 09:25 AM
    So I've read lots about people still using their Playbooks, Z10s and even BBOS devices.

What's the oldest "still running" device you have, and is it really "still working" and used for anything real or is it just a hunk of metal kept for nostalgia purposes and used for turning electrical charge into light, heat or sound?

I'll start - I've got a Commodore64. It still works. So does the 1541 drive with it. Not really used for anything. I flashed it up last year, first time in probably 25 years, just to confirm it still works.
    Loved my C64.playing ports of manic miner and jet set willy..happy memories although I never had the disc drive just the cassette player..
    All I have left and it still works is an amstrad CPC 464,along with the massive keyboard & monitor that make me fear for my hernia every time I lift it...

Posted via CB10
    10-29-20 09:51 AM
    ...I never had the disc drive just the cassette player...
    Well I think you got me beat if you were using cassettes.
    10-30-20 05:32 PM
    HP Laserjet 1018. Purchased in 2004 and still going strong! Toner can be had for dirt cheap too.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-20 05:57 PM
    Well I think you got me beat if you were using cassettes.
    Yeah I had a lot more games to choose from, but I always wanted that 1541.. Oh well guess santa never got my letters😭.
    10-31-20 02:26 AM
    Have an old Compac SX25 (early 486 with 150 MB HD, 4MB RAM) on the attic with Warp 3. Start it up once in a while and it works fine!

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-31-20 03:43 AM