Just curious why my old laptop can play the dvd movies at full screen with great picture quality but would struggle on youtube videos with full screen above 360p. I figure if there both a digital signal being sent why are they handled differently.

I'm imagining it would have something to do with how it delivered from the media itself as regular cheap dvd players can fill a large tv with HQ pictures and I'm sure they have very little in the way of memory or processing power so why couldn't an online source do the same if the signal is digital?

Thanks
    11-30-16 02:36 PM
    Caveat: I am not an expert.

Having said that, it's likely that the issue is more with your internet connection / speed than with your laptop.
    The video from YouTube is coming in over your internet, which may involve a wireless connection - often wireless connections are MUCH slower than a wired connection: since the laptop is old, it's very possible that it does not support the "N" wireless protocol. So, your wireless link could be only 10% of the speed of a hard-wired connection.

Playing the DVD, on the other hand, you're going from DVD to memory and then to the screen - the DVD software will be actively buffering in memory and you will get a much more impressive experience, methinks.
    11-30-16 03:36 PM
    That's what I first thought but then other more up to date pc's are good at 1080p on the same network and I can pause the video to let the buffer fill up well past my view point but the picture stays the same, kind of choppy and pixelated while a dvd would be smooth with no pixilation.

I guess it would mean that a dvd signal some how goes straight to the screen without going through my dated graphics card but that's the part I don't get, why couldn't the streaming option use the same process?
    11-30-16 04:03 PM
    Youtube thru the browser relies on hardware acceleration to ensure a smooth HD video stream and your old laptop isn't eligible with the method they use. I'm sure if you were to download the youtube clip locally using an app or website it would play fine in your video player of choice.
    last_attempt likes this.
    11-30-16 04:23 PM
    Youtube thru the browser relies on hardware acceleration to ensure a smooth HD video stream and your old laptop isn't eligible with the method they use. I'm sure if you were to download the youtube clip locally using an app or website it would play fine in your video player of choice.
    I think your right, I played a youtube video full screen through VLC media player and it played full screen with out a stutter.

Funny thing my laptop is from 2008 AMD x2 processor and a ATI x1200 graphic card ancient by most accounts but with 4 Gigs of ram and a small ssd drive its good enough for 95% of what I need the choppy playback was the only problem.

Thanks!
    11-30-16 05:24 PM
    11-30-16 05:42 PM
    I think your right, I played a youtube video full screen through VLC media player and it played full screen with out a stutter.

Funny thing my laptop is from 2008 AMD x2 processor and a ATI x1200 graphic card ancient by most accounts but with 4 Gigs of ram and a small ssd drive its good enough for 95% of what I need the choppy playback was the only problem.

Thanks!
    The GPU hardware acceleration in browsers may be enabled thru modded driver updates. If you're interested in experimenting and willing to do a system restore backup before hand, have a look thru this thread at Guru3rd regarding modding Catalyst drivers using FLEM. I can't vouch it will work for you but its more info.
    11-30-16 05:49 PM
    I tried the download but unfortunately it could not find a driver for my card, it's that old!
    Just tipping me off about the browser being the bottle neck in my situation was great because I can watch in full screen and in high quality, videos now.

I particularly like the coral reef / nature type videos that really only look good on a full screen and not sputtering or pixelating out. It's almost like having a new pc!

I also turned the flash off and it seemed to help a little as well when I'm on the browser.

11-30-16 06:22 PM
    feeding the URL thru a app like VLC is a good workaround. Glad it works for you.
    11-30-16 06:38 PM
    Modern browsers are bloated and much more demanding compared to years ago, and if the machine is very old it may have trouble keeping up (not an issue for something only eight years old in all likelihood though). Graphics acceleration helps (and if there is a driver issue or the drivers are obsolete in the software stack, there may be problems), but codec work is cpu related. It's more about the software stack than the performance for hardware that age.
    12-04-16 10:48 PM