Obviously either you cant read... Or you have selective eye vision. Everything has been cleared up. Obviously if your the only one that didnt get that memo.

Everybody else understood it but you. Dont be a **** kisser. It wont make you a moderator any faster.

Greg, brother man, not *** kissing, I assure I can read, there is nothing wrong with my vision, and I have no desire to be a Mod, just weighing in. Ain't no need for drama amongst "The Wire" fans.

Just my thoughts, sorry if I got to the party late
    05-25-08 11:30 PM
    Obviously either you cant read... Or you have selective eye vision. Everything has been cleared up. Obviously if your the only one that didnt get that memo.

Everybody else understood it but you. Dont be a **** kisser. It wont make you a moderator any faster.
    There was no reason for that. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
    05-25-08 11:31 PM
    lmao. m just picking on you. You know its all love. lol. Im sitting here rewatching season five mad.. again. I'll pm you the download links for it
    05-25-08 11:32 PM
    thats be nice, you talking about a chat on the actual site itself? The ram on the site wouldnt allow the storage to do it on the phone itself. But an aim or bbmessenger chat would work..

This what you talking about?
    that would be what i was talking about lol
    05-25-08 11:32 PM
    There was no reason for that. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
    Wasnt a personal attack. Lets not get defensive.

But since you are here.. What are YOUR views on the topic.. Since obviously little old Greg has raised steam on the stove... Speak on it.

Step to the podium.
    05-25-08 11:34 PM
    lmao. m just picking on you. You know its all love. lol. Im sitting here rewatching season five mad.. again. I'll pm you the download links for it
    You know I took it with humor. I responded the way I did 'cause that's how we do. Ya feel me?
    05-25-08 11:36 PM
    You know I took it with humor. I responded the way I did 'cause that's how we do. Ya feel me?
    Lol of course man. You know its all love in this direction. *daps you up*.
    05-25-08 11:38 PM
    that would be what i was talking about lol
    Lol. That would be a good idea. its a simple code that they could use to do that. I have to find it though. But it might slow the site down some, and require routine maintenence. I used to have the chat on my message board.
    05-25-08 11:40 PM
    Lol of course man. You know its all love in this direction. *daps you up*.
    back atcha.
    Now in the words of the great Snoop Dogg

"Back ta da lecture at hand..."
    05-25-08 11:42 PM
    back atcha.
    Now in the words of the great Snoop Dogg

"Back ta da lecture at hand..."
    05-25-08 11:44 PM
    Wasnt a personal attack. Lets not get defensive.

But since you are here.. What are YOUR views on the topic.. Since obviously little old Greg has raised steam on the stove... Speak on it.

Step to the podium.
    My view is that I have never liked the off topic forum. This is a BB forum.

I understand how having this forum keeps the off topic stuff out of the main forums, but I still don't like it. I think if you want to chat with someone about whatever.. you can always use any one of the many IM programs available.

I generally stay out of the off-topic, and only have to come this way when someone reports a post in here. Which is starting to be all too often. I just don't understand why is it so difficult for some people to follow the simple rules Kevin has put in place. Like some others have said, I can swear like a sailor also, but I know better than to do it in the forums. It's not the appropriate place.

I guess basically try to understand we are not trying to single out any one individual or group when we moderate threads. We are just enforcing the rules of the forum, and some people require us to enforce those rules on them more than once.

Like Kevin said, I don't at all want this to become an Us vs Them kind of thing. We were all brought to this site for the same reason. Many of us have made new friends from this site, but we still have to remember that it is a BlackBerry Help and Discussion Forum first and foremost.

Now with all that said.... Go Spurs!!!!
    05-25-08 11:51 PM
    My view is that I have never liked the off topic forum. This is a BB forum
    And there's the rub. Even though we all love our BB, we have other things on our minds. Off topic gives us a place to express those things. I get why things may get closed, but OT is vital to maintaining this community. Whether the Mods or owners think it's worth it or not.
    05-25-08 11:59 PM
    [QUOTE=amazinglygraceless;344521]
    My view is that I have never liked the off topic forum. This is a BB forum/QUOTE]

And there's the rub. Even though we all love our BB, we have other things on our minds. Off topic gives us a place to express those things. I get why things may get closed, but OT is vital to maintaining this community. Whether the Mods or owners think it's worth it or not.
    I agree
    I swear im starting to think either 9/10 of the people on here are either geeks, tech freaks.. or have no outside life besides the blackberry. Like the only thing they are programmed to know is tech specs, themes, and blackberry information. Technology has warped their fragile little minds.

Off topic is to actually go and actually vent on topics even if blackberry related.. aren't consumed by the likeness of the bulk of the board. Its sad when people are really like "NOOOO.. We cant have you talking about chat rooms.... This is CRACKBERRY! Talk about bbmessenger. Gimme your pin"

lmao. Sad world we're living in. Anybody bought that first class flight to reality? I need a discount ticket.
    05-26-08 12:04 AM
    I completely understand that, and even though I don't like OT, as I previously stated, I do understand its purpose. All I ask is for everyone to please follow the rules.
    05-26-08 12:06 AM
    I completely understand that, and even though I don't like OT, as I previously stated, I do understand its purpose. All I ask is for everyone to please follow the rules.
    You forgot to add the guidelines.. Cant forget those.

"The Crackberry Bible"

A few things here...

a) It's not about Flexing admin muscle. It's about the moderation team ensuring members follow the very basic rules of conduct that have been laid out for the site. The Rules & Guidelines are set out to create a friendly environment suitable for all ages and all levels of BlackBerry user, and they are not specific to just CrackBerry.com. Our sibling smartphone sites (www.smarpthoneexperts.com for more info) also have long running, BIG forums and the way the sites are administered are consistent. So if you see an action taken, it's not a singling out or a one off. Typically we've crossed these bridges already, and are just addressing the issues as we have precedent to go from. I'm not sure if you have visited any other BlackBerry or smartphone forums, but if you do you'll find CrackBerry.com is probably the easiest going in terms of allowing members to post what they want and in general is a pretty friendly place.

b) When it comes to the Off Topic forum, though the Topics are OFF TOPIC as opposed to be having to be related to the BlackBerry stuff, all of the basic forum rules still apply. As the rules above state, you can basically post on whatever topics you want, but topics should actually be about something.

I don't spend too much time in the Off Topic forums (though I do browse through and pipe in from time to time), and one of things I've noticed is that we have a few random/topic chat threads. Technically, this is one type of content that shouldn't actually be allowed in the Off Topic forum. Reason being it's not about anything. The general principle behind Forums in general is that a Thread is about a topic, and all replies to that thread should be primarily based on/be in response to the original question/topic posted. That way new users to the site can easily tell what a thread is about, and quickly get filled in on it. Random chat threads are just "talking" - doesn't actually make sense for a forum (even if it is an off topic). Really, these types of conversations should be happening on messenger apps, etc.

That said, even though we don't allow these types of threads on our other sites, I've allowed them to continue here as they seem to be in demand by our community, and we try to give our community what it wants. Also having said that, in browsing these threads I have noticed these are the threads where members tend to want to push our simple rules and guidelines.... aka... not blatantly "swearing" but essentially swearing, etc. Because of that, I often receive complaints on Off Topic forum posts and threads, and because of that it was required for us to put in a place a moderator dedicated to overseeing these forums. If members using the off topic forums would simply follow our rules and guidelines in the beginning, especially those in regards to language and topic, there'd be much less reason to have watch these forums. Obviously I'm not referring to all members here..as some follow rules perfectly...while others push the limits.

c) In regards to Cate's roll in the Off Topic, she currently is the dedicated moderator for watching over the content in the off topic. The roll isn't to censor or limit what you all can talk about here. Again, what it comes down to is that Threads should be about SOMETHING and should be appropriate for a public forum, replies should be about what the Thread is about, and language should be kept clean. If it stays within that context, you shouldn't see too many threads being closed. And keep in mind that while Cate is the dedicated mod for watching these forums, that doesn't mean she is the only voice in moderation here. Typically across the CrackBerry forums, when decisions are made - about the threads, members, etc. - multiple mods are involved in the decisions. You gotta remember... that the mods mod in the best interest of the SITE..not themselves. If they cared about themselves first they wouldn't do any modding as almost every modding action receives backlash from a member (as is the case with this thread you created). When mods mod they take action because there have been member complaints or because they think there will be member complaints or because the thread/post is offside to the rules.

d) When it comes to the posting images on the site, we do actually have to watch this. Taking photos of random people on the street, etc. and posting them up here isn't something we want to start seeing. Take pictures of buildings/your clothes/cars/etc. and that's cool, but best to leave people out of it.

e) What it comes down to is we try and do the best job of running this site to keep it friendly and open to the majority of people who frequent the site. We'll never be able to keep everybody satisfied, but the way the site is run now I think 99.9% of people are satisfied. We're not going to be perfect, but we try our best. When it comes to modding decisions and the forums, we just try and make Logical decisions. We've made mistakes in the past, and when we have we have admit them, learned from them and fixed them. We're not police... we just want the forums and site to run smooth. But that does mean some rule are required and some enforcing of those rules. If you fall into the .1% of people here who don't like the way the site it is run, keep in mind we don't force you to post here... you're free to not post here and to join the any other site that you think does a better job.

So that's the story. if you have any specific questions or suggestions, I'm all ears, but I ask you that you and everyone else a) respect the rules, b) respect our mods - they are volunteers and are trying to do the best job as it relates to the best interests of the site and c) have fun.

Thanks for the understanding. Oh...

F.) We are mods. We tell you what to do. We dont lead by example. You are pawns in the crackberry chess game. And you will like it. If not, pm us.

Last edited by ClassaN0va; 05-26-08 at 12:13 AM.
    05-26-08 12:11 AM
    Re: Chat Room. Did have this on my "To Look At" list before, but it kind of fell off it. I'll put it back on. Might be a good solution. I "prefer" people use the forums, and like kasper said, if you realllly want to chat with buddies then use AIM/Messenger/Skype/etc. etc.

But will check into it.
    05-26-08 12:14 AM
    Re: Chat Room. Did have this on my "To Look At" list before, but it kind of fell off it. I'll put it back on. Might be a good solution. I "prefer" people use the forums, and like kasper said, if you realllly want to chat with buddies then use AIM/Messenger/Skype/etc. etc.

But will check into it.
    Kevin if you want, ill give you the code to process it. It wont mess up the actual outlook of the site. Im assuming this site has IP.board features, so it wouldnt harm the site, itd just serve no purpose to mobile users since they cant use it.
    05-26-08 12:16 AM
    Well if you don't like line "F" of "our" bible then Pinstack is right around the corner! Kidding of course! I wouldn't send my worst enemy there!...O did I say that out loud?!?
    05-26-08 12:28 AM
    O and you can always check out my link to how to behave on a internet forum!!
    05-26-08 12:29 AM
    Are you a Jericho fan?

(Ayatollah..... etc etc)
    05-26-08 12:33 AM
    Yes I am...
    05-26-08 12:35 AM

But will check into it.
    i agree, but having a place where people can chat in real time would keep people visiting the site, i think it should strictly be an "OT" chatroom so that the forums are where people still go for help... i just think the people here have become a friendly and close group of people and to have a chatroom for cb would keep everyone close and still on the site for the purpose of helping everyone solve bb issues
    05-26-08 12:38 AM
    Re: Off-Topic Forum.

Re: Chat Threads. Cindy - I hear what you're saying Re: Cate starting some of the Random Chat type threads that aren't about a topic. Realize that. As I said in my long post - we "are allowing" those threads on the site, even though personally they are not my favorites based on how forums work, so this shouldn't be a problem. But I do think we now have enough chat/random threads started that we probably don't need more started.

Good deal Kevin. Keep them, if it offends anyone, close them.
    05-26-08 01:31 AM
98 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD