Because you administrators (CATE) have a habit of closing EVERYTHING you cant agree with, or dont feel comfortable with. More recently... The photo post.

If you have a phone with a camera, what are you going to take photo besides yourself. Its all of a sudden a privacy issue taking photos of other people? We have to walk around with contracts saying "hey... i like your shoes.. can i take a photo? Sign this contract because crackberry wont like it".

Im glad you all are flexing your administrator muscles, but give us SOME type of freedom. Eventually y'all going to scare people off for saying anything besides going and saying "hey i have a problem with so and so"..

Theres a reason for it being "off topic".. It might not necessarily going to be about blackberry themes and features..

So i've said everything I feel like saying.. Feel free to close this topic (i know you will).. so people cannot go and agree that they feel the same.

05-25-08 06:11 PM
    First, if you take the time to read the Forum Rules & Policies, you may find some useful information.

Second, posting pictures of people and making rude/inappropriate comments is of poor taste.

While this forum is here for everything unrelated to BlackBerrys, the same posting rules apply:

Because this forum is off-topic, it may become easy to forget the Posting Rules, but you must remember they still apply here. Some of the key points to remember when posting in this forum:

1. Keep the Language Clean

2. Keep the Thread Content Appropriate for a Public Forum. Remember that there are CrackBerrys of All Ages, and any of of them may be reading this. Any threads or posts that may be interpreted as Offensive, Inappropriate or Unproductive will be Closed and/or Deleted. Use your head before posting.

3. Respect other Members. Personal attacks or offensive remarks of any kind will not be tolerated.

4. SPAM of Any Kind will result in being banned.

5. Don't Exist Only in the Off Topic Forum. This forum is for CrackBerry.com forum members to go off topic in, not to live in. Valued CrackBerry.com members contribute to all forums as much possible (especially when help is needed and you have the answer).

If you ever come across a thread or post that you feel is inappropriate, please report it to one of the site's Moderators immediately.

Moderators have the right to edit/close/delete any Off Topic thread they deem has become unproductive or is not appropriate for CrackBerry.com. Decisions made by the moderators are final.
    If people have questions and/or concerns, they're MORE than welcome to PM any moderator.
    Last edited by cate; 05-25-08 at 06:39 PM.
    05-25-08 06:34 PM
    This is true. I created to see if you'd be the first to reply.

--You were
    05-25-08 06:36 PM
    I feel you casanova, straight up. I know everyone is else is scarred to stand up, but I agree with you.
    05-25-08 06:43 PM
    This is true. I created to see if you'd be the first to reply.

--You were
    The reason she was the first to reply is because she is in charge of OT.
    05-25-08 06:46 PM
    What else is she in charge of? Because obviously shes the only person who says anything.

Feel restricted on here. People afraid to say anything besides they pin number. I dont feel right being pressured. Real talk.

We all grown on here.
    05-25-08 06:50 PM
    Just because we don't make posts doesn't mean we are not on the forums. No need to feel "pressured". We have rules that are set forth to us mods that we have to enforced. Now with the picture thing we(mods, INCLUDING Kevin) all agreed that pictures OTHER than your self should NOT be posted. So Cate enforced it. Sorry that this has made you upset but we have to play bad cop some times. As always if you have an issue Email any of the Mods including Kevin.
    05-25-08 06:59 PM
    Lol.

I got blitzed with Admin PMs yesterday to clean up my language and my location.

I find it strangely doublestandardish that there are all sorts of adult themes throughout this site and I am getting singled out because I get my profanity across by misspelling it.

Whatever, I have turned over a new doggone leaf. Stink. Gosh darn it.

By the way, Cate basically taught me how to get around profanity by putting spaces inbetween the words lol. That was back when she called me an i d i o t. I guess that doesn't matter because now she is a mod lol.
    05-25-08 06:59 PM
    Lol.

I got blitzed with Admin PMs yesterday to clean up my language and my location.

I find it strangely doublestandardish that there are all sorts of adult themes throughout this site and I am getting singled out because I get my profanity across by misspelling it.

Whatever, I have turned over a new doggone leaf. Stink. Gosh darn it.

By the way, Cate basically taught me how to get around profanity by putting spaces inbetween the words lol. That was back when she called me an i d i o t. I guess that doesn't matter because now she is a mod lol.
    Pretty much. You know when you achieve status.. you forget what you were before...

Oh well. Bump em.
    05-25-08 07:03 PM
    See and this is my opinion I think that we should not have a OT. We are here about our BBs not what you drank, ate, did the night before. If you must talk about that RIM added a sweet little app in their phone called BBM. Also I swear like a sailor EVERY day and I could care less if I offend anyone by it. Tho there are times that we need to act like adults and not like little 8 year olds that just learned what the "swear words" mean. There again you will more then likely be "blitzed" with PMs when the rules are not followed.
    Last edited by Click; 05-25-08 at 07:12 PM.
    05-25-08 07:08 PM
    That was stinking insightful.
    05-25-08 07:15 PM
    See and this is my opinion I think that we should not have a OT. We are here about our BBs not what you drank, ate, did the night before. If you must talk about that RIM added a sweet little app in their phone called BBM. Also I swear like a sailor EVERY day and I could care less if I offend anyone by it. Tho there are times that we need to act like adults and not like little 8 year olds that just learned what the "swear words" mean. There again you will more then likely be "blitzed" with PMs when the rules are not followed.
    Lls. Let me help you translate. when you create a sub forum for a message board named off topic.. Then have guidelines on what you want people to talk about, YOU arent following your own methods. Thats like a boss at a company telling you you have to wear pants to work, then come in his/her underwear. You all are dictating whats right and wrong.. Yet Cate has a "birthday dedication" post..

So what is the logic here? Let a "normal" member say something out of the norm, and you all instantly have dictation for it. I have been here less than a month, and im starting to see the signs of favoritism on here. I dont care what it is you do to the off topic thing. Y'all just look stupid creating an off topic discussion room, then closing topics.

We understand you are keeping "order" to the message board. But all means.. i wouldnt go and post naked photos on here... Meanwhile... if you dictating my freedom of speech with your unlegitimate rules that you dont even apply to yourself... You can cool it.

Last edited by ClassaN0va; 05-25-08 at 07:25 PM.
    05-25-08 07:20 PM
    I could not agree with you more. I told everyone if we are going to have a OT that its going to be a free for all. I also said that if a member is offended by a post in OT then we ask them not to go to that post. THO if that member is offended because he/she is being flamed then we as mods step in. If there is nude pics, we as mods step in, If some one is being threated, we as mods step in. Other then that If you want to talk about how you stole videos from walmart or prank phone called someone or even if you started dating some one from this site I could care less. I was just stating my opinions.
    05-25-08 07:25 PM
    See and this is my opinion I think that we should not have a OT. We are here about our BBs not what you drank, ate, did the night before. If you must talk about that RIM added a sweet little app in their phone called BBM.
    Dude, show me how to get a chatroom on that app with all of these heads and I will do it.

I am having a hard time understanding what your problem is. But it is obvious you have one. Whatever guy, I will clean up my mouth and start slapping fools with fish lol.
    05-25-08 07:31 PM
    This is true. That was the main reason i made this topic. Its not to bash moderators.. Or to make you all look incompetent, nevertheless, accepting certain things just shhouldnt fly.. Because it will eventually be breaches of rules. Like when cate tells me to address a moderator in a personal message.. Whats the point? You shouldnt have to personally go and do that.

Just seems like they have a certain group of people that they go after (me for one..)

Notice how quick I was answered. lol.
    05-25-08 07:32 PM
    All you have to do is choose whom ever on your BBM list start chatting with them, then click your BB menu (left side of tackball) then scroll to invite.... I have no problem. I just feel bad that kevin spent all that time coming up with rules and then have no one follow them....
    05-25-08 07:34 PM
    This is true. That was the main reason i made this topic. Its not to bash moderators.. Or to make you all look incompetent, nevertheless, accepting certain things just shhouldnt fly.. Because it will eventually be breaches of rules. Like when cate tells me to address a moderator in a personal message.. Whats the point? You shouldnt have to personally go and do that.

Just seems like they have a certain group of people that they go after (me for one..)

Notice how quick I was answered. lol.
    I just happened to be surfing the forums. Seen the Thread Title and looked to see whats up. With the PMs its easier for us to contact the user that way.
    05-25-08 07:37 PM
    I love this website, the wealth of information, and all the help I can get at the click of my mouse... There are always gonna be rules no matter where you go, I happen to like having the mods to step in when things get outta hand, I also like having the OT to chat about stupid crap.... Can't we all just get along? lol
    05-25-08 07:38 PM
    Well that's anywhere really..if you talk about or bring about any kind of change...people tend to get scared...

But what ever happened to freedom of thoughbt and speech?

Sure taking photos of some one is one thing...making comments another...

People of all ages...seriousely if there is anyone here younger than 18..(witch their should be an age limit to even become a memeber)...wtf is wrong with the parents not doing over the shoulder checks on their kids?!?this is why... www.pervertedjustice.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-08 07:42 PM
    Hey ClassaNova,

A few things here...

a) It's not about Flexing admin muscle. It's about the moderation team ensuring members follow the very basic rules of conduct that have been laid out for the site. The Rules & Guidelines are set out to create a friendly environment suitable for all ages and all levels of BlackBerry user, and they are not specific to just CrackBerry.com. Our sibling smartphone sites (www.smarpthoneexperts.com for more info) also have long running, BIG forums and the way the sites are administered are consistent. So if you see an action taken, it's not a singling out or a one off. Typically we've crossed these bridges already, and are just addressing the issues as we have precedent to go from. I'm not sure if you have visited any other BlackBerry or smartphone forums, but if you do you'll find CrackBerry.com is probably the easiest going in terms of allowing members to post what they want and in general is a pretty friendly place.

b) When it comes to the Off Topic forum, though the Topics are OFF TOPIC as opposed to be having to be related to the BlackBerry stuff, all of the basic forum rules still apply. As the rules above state, you can basically post on whatever topics you want, but topics should actually be about something.

I don't spend too much time in the Off Topic forums (though I do browse through and pipe in from time to time), and one of things I've noticed is that we have a few random/topic chat threads. Technically, this is one type of content that shouldn't actually be allowed in the Off Topic forum. Reason being it's not about anything. The general principle behind Forums in general is that a Thread is about a topic, and all replies to that thread should be primarily based on/be in response to the original question/topic posted. That way new users to the site can easily tell what a thread is about, and quickly get filled in on it. Random chat threads are just "talking" - doesn't actually make sense for a forum (even if it is an off topic). Really, these types of conversations should be happening on messenger apps, etc.

That said, even though we don't allow these types of threads on our other sites, I've allowed them to continue here as they seem to be in demand by our community, and we try to give our community what it wants. Also having said that, in browsing these threads I have noticed these are the threads where members tend to want to push our simple rules and guidelines.... aka... not blatantly "swearing" but essentially swearing, etc. Because of that, I often receive complaints on Off Topic forum posts and threads, and because of that it was required for us to put in a place a moderator dedicated to overseeing these forums. If members using the off topic forums would simply follow our rules and guidelines in the beginning, especially those in regards to language and topic, there'd be much less reason to have watch these forums. Obviously I'm not referring to all members here..as some follow rules perfectly...while others push the limits.

c) In regards to Cate's roll in the Off Topic, she currently is the dedicated moderator for watching over the content in the off topic. The roll isn't to censor or limit what you all can talk about here. Again, what it comes down to is that Threads should be about SOMETHING and should be appropriate for a public forum, replies should be about what the Thread is about, and language should be kept clean. If it stays within that context, you shouldn't see too many threads being closed. And keep in mind that while Cate is the dedicated mod for watching these forums, that doesn't mean she is the only voice in moderation here. Typically across the CrackBerry forums, when decisions are made - about the threads, members, etc. - multiple mods are involved in the decisions. You gotta remember... that the mods mod in the best interest of the SITE..not themselves. If they cared about themselves first they wouldn't do any modding as almost every modding action receives backlash from a member (as is the case with this thread you created). When mods mod they take action because there have been member complaints or because they think there will be member complaints or because the thread/post is offside to the rules.

d) When it comes to the posting images on the site, we do actually have to watch this. Taking photos of random people on the street, etc. and posting them up here isn't something we want to start seeing. Take pictures of buildings/your clothes/cars/etc. and that's cool, but best to leave people out of it.

e) What it comes down to is we try and do the best job of running this site to keep it friendly and open to the majority of people who frequent the site. We'll never be able to keep everybody satisfied, but the way the site is run now I think 99.9% of people are satisfied. We're not going to be perfect, but we try our best. When it comes to modding decisions and the forums, we just try and make Logical decisions. We've made mistakes in the past, and when we have we have admit them, learned from them and fixed them. We're not police... we just want the forums and site to run smooth. But that does mean some rule are required and some enforcing of those rules. If you fall into the .1% of people here who don't like the way the site it is run, keep in mind we don't force you to post here... you're free to not post here and to join the any other site that you think does a better job.

So that's the story. if you have any specific questions or suggestions, I'm all ears, but I ask you that you and everyone else a) respect the rules, b) respect our mods - they are volunteers and are trying to do the best job as it relates to the best interests of the site and c) have fun.

Thanks for the understanding.
    05-25-08 07:43 PM
    I like the place, and GF is right. We should all just get along. But I have to agree with Nova that there is a favoritism/us vs them vibe up in this place.

Whatever. I know how to tow a doggone line. And stink it all if I don't tow that gosh darned line even if it flopping kills me.
    05-25-08 07:45 PM
    Hey ClassaNova,

A few things here...

a) It's not about Flexing admin muscle. It's about the moderation team ensuring members follow the very basic rules of conduct that have been laid out for the site. The Rules & Guidelines are set out to create a friendly environment suitable for all ages and all levels of BlackBerry user, and they are not specific to just CrackBerry.com. Our sibling smartphone sites (www.smarpthoneexperts.com for more info) also have long running, BIG forums and the way the sites are administered are consistent. So if you see an action taken, it's not a singling out or a one off. Typically we've crossed these bridges already, and are just addressing the issues as we have precedent to go from. I'm not sure if you have visited any other BlackBerry or smartphone forums, but if you do you'll find CrackBerry.com is probably the easiest going in terms of allowing members to post what they want and in general is a pretty friendly place.

b) When it comes to the Off Topic forum, though the Topics are OFF TOPIC as opposed to be having to be related to the BlackBerry stuff, all of the basic forum rules still apply. As the rules above state, you can basically post on whatever topics you want, but topics should actually be about something.

I don't spend too much time in the Off Topic forums (though I do browse through and pipe in from time to time), and one of things I've noticed is that we have a few random/topic chat threads. Technically, this is one type of content that shouldn't actually be allowed in the Off Topic forum. Reason being it's not about anything. The general principle behind Forums in general is that a Thread is about a topic, and all replies to that thread should be primarily based on/be in response to the original question/topic posted. That way new users to the site can easily tell what a thread is about, and quickly get filled in on it. Random chat threads are just "talking" - doesn't actually make sense for a forum (even if it is an off topic). Really, these types of conversations should be happening on messenger apps, etc.

That said, even though we don't allow these types of threads on our other sites, I've allowed them to continue here as they seem to be in demand by our community, and we try to give our community what it wants. Also having said that, in browsing these threads I have noticed these are the threads where members tend to want to push our simple rules and guidelines.... aka... not blatantly "swearing" but essentially swearing, etc. Because of that, I often receive complaints on Off Topic forum posts and threads, and because of that it was required for us to put in a place a moderator dedicated to overseeing these forums. If members using the off topic forums would simply follow our rules and guidelines in the beginning, especially those in regards to language and topic, there'd be much less reason to have watch these forums. Obviously I'm not referring to all members here..as some follow rules perfectly...while others push the limits.

c) In regards to Cate's roll in the Off Topic, she currently is the dedicated moderator for watching over the content in the off topic. The roll isn't to censor or limit what you all can talk about here. Again, what it comes down to is that Threads should be about SOMETHING and should be appropriate for a public forum, replies should be about what the Thread is about, and language should be kept clean. If it stays within that context, you shouldn't see too many threads being closed. And keep in mind that while Cate is the dedicated mod for watching these forums, that doesn't mean she is the only voice in moderation here. Typically across the CrackBerry forums, when decisions are made - about the threads, members, etc. - multiple mods are involved in the decisions. You gotta remember... that the mods mod in the best interest of the SITE..not themselves. If they cared about themselves first they wouldn't do any modding as almost every modding action receives backlash from a member (as is the case with this thread you created). When mods mod they take action because there have been member complaints or because they think there will be member complaints or because the thread/post is offside to the rules.

d) When it comes to the posting images on the site, we do actually have to watch this. Taking photos of random people on the street, etc. and posting them up here isn't something we want to start seeing. Take pictures of buildings/your clothes/cars/etc. and that's cool, but best to leave people out of it.

e) What it comes down to is we try and do the best job of running this site to keep it friendly and open to the majority of people who frequent the site. We'll never be able to keep everybody satisfied, but the way the site is run now I think 99.9% of people are satisfied. We're not going to be perfect, but we try our best. When it comes to modding decisions and the forums, we just try and make Logical decisions. We've made mistakes in the past, and when we have we have admit them, learned from them and fixed them. We're not police... we just want the forums and site to run smooth. But that does mean some rule are required and some enforcing of those rules. If you fall into the .1% of people here who don't like the way the site it is run, keep in mind we don't force you to post here... you're free to not post here and to join the any other site that you think does a better job.

So that's the story. if you have any specific questions or suggestions, I'm all ears, but I ask you that you and everyone else a) respect the rules, b) respect our mods - they are volunteers and are trying to do the best job as it relates to the best interests of the site and c) have fun.

Thanks for the understanding.
    Okay.. not sounding like a butthole... But if i wouldve pmed a moderator... would you all have copied and pasted that to me as well?

But duly noted. meanwhile.. Now that we have met an understanding.. i feel like other people should voice their opinions in this manner.
    05-25-08 07:47 PM
    I would like to agree as well.

My 2 cents.

I understand that threads should be about something rather than random chats, BUT just in case you all didn't notice....if you go back a few months in the off topic forum, you'll see that most POINTLESS threads, like "Hey There" Or "I was told to STFU" were all started by ONE person & for that one person to be a MOD and have the privilege of closing other threads like the ones mentioned above make no sense.

Contradicting ourselves are we?
    05-25-08 07:58 PM
    I would like to agree as well.

My 2 cents.

I understand that threads should be about something rather than random chats, BUT just in case you all didn't notice....if you go back a few months in the off topic forum, you'll see that most POINTLESS threads, like "Hey There" Or "I was told to STFU" were all started by ONE person & for that one person to be a MOD and have the privilege of closing other threads like the ones mentioned above make no sense.

Contradicting ourselves are we?
    Thats what ive been saying. I've read "their" old posts prior..and i feel like they forgot their roots..
    05-25-08 08:01 PM
    I believe that we are all on the same page.

People can only learn by example...
    05-25-08 08:03 PM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD