Okay some of you may know some of you may not know, my wife is due here in a few weeks. A little girl, doing good and both are healthy as of now.

Well i get several "parenting" emails and one of the ones that i got this week dealt with "nudity in the household", should it be allowed should it not be allowed- benefits of allowing it, the dangers of allowing it. The benefits of not allowing it, the dangers of not allowing it. That sort of stuff. My wife and i talked about it a little and we know where we stand on the situation, but my question is what do you guys think/where do you stand?

I know it's a few years away an some time to think and make our "stand" on it. but this is where we stand. Kids will be curious - that understandable - and we'll attack it when that time comes. explain with the least amount of details when the time comes then explain in further detail at a later time when she is more mature.

the second thing the E-Mail talked about was "dress habits". what to allow them to wear- what to allow them not to wear, what to do when you catch them wearing stuff that they should be wearing or not allow to wear.

Our view point on clothing is : if you can wear it in front of your parents & grandparents & wear it to church you can wear it out..... but i know kids will be kids ... so once again what do you guys do/say what type of rules.... the on reason i ask here is i know these shrinks can be extreme one way or the other and have lost touch with the real world.
    10-07-09 04:07 PM
    I have no problem with nudity, I think it builds a healthy comfort with your own body and nudity in general. Our society is so hung up on nudity and how "indecent" it is that it makes everyone uncomfortable (including me). Children should not be raised to be ashamed of themselves for any reason, especially something so trivial as there own body.

I think that, if raised this way, it will also help cut down on the skimpy clothing young girls are always wearing. If you're comfortable in your own skin I think there's less of a feeling to need to show it off. Of course the clothing issue is a personal opinion obviously left up to the parents.

I like it when good looking women show off a little bit
    10-07-09 05:12 PM
    I don't see why nudity in the home is a big deal. Robot is right, society has made everyone uncomfortable with it and it shouldnt be that way. Nudity is natural and in your home, you should be free to be comfortable. I mean, I'm not saying I intend to stroll around my house naked 24 hours a day, but I don't see why it should have to be made into a big deal or an issue. I always say this, but the more you make something harmless seem like a bad thing, the more appealing it becomes. We all wanna do what we're told we cant. Hence Adam and Eve... Plus, I know many people whose families feel free to stroll around naked as they please and Ive never heard of any issues developing from it.

Clothing for kids these days is something that makes me pretty angry... Why does a five year old need a shirt that is cut to show off a chest? If these options werent available it wouldnt be that bad. Clothing makers are trying to give kids little versions of adult clothes, and really the cuts just arent appropriate. With that being said, I think as with most kids, you can get them to compromise if you let them feel like you're treating them as an adult. Especially when they get to those pre-teen years. They want to express themselves and make choices and feel respected. The trick is, maintaining the control over the situation, while still giving them the idea theyre being allowed to decide. Kids will want to do well when given that little extra accountablility. And when they screw up. They lose the privelage. Allow them to wear the newest styles and trends, but set strict boundaries as to where you draw the line. Tell them you wont interfere in their choices unless they cross that line. And when the line is crossed, well, mom gets to choose your clothes. And mom is fully prepared to dress you like you just walked off the set of little house on the prairie. Either way, if I have a daughter, I'll probably be super involved in their clothes anyway. Shopping is kinda a mother daughter thing... And when you're there and shopping together, you can show your child how to be hip and attractive without being skimpy.
    10-08-09 08:25 AM
    I agree with the top two posts....also nudity will not be your biggest problem when the baby comes....the biggest problem will be sayin "NO". These days everyone kid is a special gift from god and therefore treated as such. Just say "no" when they want everything and anything....you can even be naked when you say it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 08:43 AM
    Just say "no" when they want everything and anything....you can even be naked when you say it.
    That's flippin fabulous
    10-08-09 08:44 AM
    I agree with the top two posts....also nudity will not be your biggest problem when the baby comes....the biggest problem will be sayin "NO". These days everyone kid is a special gift from god and therefore treated as such. Just say "no" when they want everything and anything....you can even be naked when you say it.

I agree with that 100% but this email really got me thinking this subject....
    10-08-09 09:06 AM
    Dude I have my first on the way as well and it is scary...I just think I'm going to try and stay right down the middle....I'm sure I'm gonna mess up here and there but who doesn't. My daddy saying is going to be "Everything in moderation". The world would have a quarter of its problems if we lived in moderation.

10-08-09 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD