Wow! I've never seen a UFC crowd as pumped for an event as I did tonight. Those Canadians are LOUD. Great crowd, great fights, so what did everyone think about the matchups tonight? Here's my short rundown and what I thought of the main card.

Bisping vs. McCarthy- I was kinda disappointed in McCarthy's performance in this fight. It seemed like he spent the entire time trying to bait Bisping into a takedown. It is a good strategy when fighting someone like Bisping, and it did work once for McCarthy at the start of the fight, but McCarthy was overall very inactive. He didn't do enough to protect himself, not throwing enough punches and not a single leg kick. He was really successful blocking Bisping's punches and knees toward the start of this fight, but it was inevitable that Bisping would finally sneak a knee through McCathy's arms, and he did. As much as I hate to say it, Bisping looked good at 185. I just hope the UFC throws him a real challenge to test his mettle. With the exception of the fight against Rashad Evans, Bisping hasn't fought a top tier opponent.

Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes- The only bad fight of the night! Starnes did absolutely nothing to make this match interesting. UFC is the premier MMA organization, and Dana White expects his fighters to perform. Quarry pressed all the action, while Starnes did nothing but run around the ring. Quarry looked impressive though, and I think a rematch with Rich Franklin down the road would be really interesting. Other than that, this fight was a dud, and its all thanks to Starnes who obviously didn't want to fight this evening. Next time, stay in the locker room.

Franklin vs. Lutter- Franklin looked to be in big trouble at the beginning of this fight. Lutter is a little trickster on the ground, and his jiu jitsu was very impressive. He was relentless in mounting Franklin and that armbar was in tight on Franklin. Franklin's no dummy though and he proved it by rolling out of Lutter's submission attempt. And it was all downhill from there for Lutter. Looks like Franklin learned a thing or two from Anderson Silva as he clinched with Lutter and started bombing him with hard knees. It didn't help that Lutter's conditioning is absolutely dreadful either. Seriously, Lutter was wasted after the near submission attempt. On another note, did anyone else notice how gassed Rich Franklin was at the end of that fight too? He was breathing HARD, like he'd just gone five rounds. I know Rich is known for his extreme conditioning regimine, but he just didn't look as in shape as usual. Regardless, he fought well and I hope he and Quarry hook it up again later this year. I don't think Franklin is ready for another piece of Anderson Silva quite yet.

Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra- Georges' take down at the start of this fight definitely set the tone for the rest of the match. It was clear right from the start that St. Pierre wanted to dominate Serra on the ground. Serra's no joke, he's a top BJJ guy and very good at what he does. Everyone wants to say that Serra sucks and isn't as great on the ground as he thinks he is but I disagree. St. Pierre is just on another level right now. His last fight against Matt Hughes showcased just how far along he's come in regard to his wrestling. Serra just looked like he was in deep trouble throughout this whole fight. St. Pierre is just too explosive and all around deadly. The knees that ended the fight seriously made me cringe. There was no way that Serra could have taken much more punishment. The look on his face after St. Pierre's second knee to the ribs was one of great pain. I really think St. Pierre will dominate the 170 lb. division for quite awhile, much like Anderson Silva is king at 185. Speaking of which, those two guys going at it one day in the octagon would be absolute fireworks. And it might not be too far fetched to think of a Silva vs. St. Pierre match either. I can only hope!
    04-20-08 03:56 AM
    dam it already happened thanks for the write up
    04-20-08 04:05 AM
    Yeah dude, that was a solid breakdown.
    04-20-08 04:13 AM
    Wow! I've never seen a UFC crowd as pumped for an event as I did tonight. Those Canadians are LOUD. Great crowd, great fights, so what did everyone think about the matchups tonight? Here's my short rundown and what I thought of the main card.

Bisping vs. McCarthy- I was kinda disappointed in McCarthy's performance in this fight. It seemed like he spent the entire time trying to bait Bisping into a takedown. It is a good strategy when fighting someone like Bisping, and it did work once for McCarthy at the start of the fight, but McCarthy was overall very inactive. He didn't do enough to protect himself, not throwing enough punches and not a single leg kick. He was really successful blocking Bisping's punches and knees toward the start of this fight, but it was inevitable that Bisping would finally sneak a knee through McCathy's arms, and he did. As much as I hate to say it, Bisping looked good at 185. I just hope the UFC throws him a real challenge to test his mettle. With the exception of the fight against Rashad Evans, Bisping hasn't fought a top tier opponent.

Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes- The only bad fight of the night! Starnes did absolutely nothing to make this match interesting. UFC is the premier MMA organization, and Dana White expects his fighters to perform. Quarry pressed all the action, while Starnes did nothing but run around the ring. Quarry looked impressive though, and I think a rematch with Rich Franklin down the road would be really interesting. Other than that, this fight was a dud, and its all thanks to Starnes who obviously didn't want to fight this evening. Next time, stay in the locker room.

Franklin vs. Lutter- Franklin looked to be in big trouble at the beginning of this fight. Lutter is a little trickster on the ground, and his jiu jitsu was very impressive. He was relentless in mounting Franklin and that armbar was in tight on Franklin. Franklin's no dummy though and he proved it by rolling out of Lutter's submission attempt. And it was all downhill from there for Lutter. Looks like Franklin learned a thing or two from Anderson Silva as he clinched with Lutter and started bombing him with hard knees. It didn't help that Lutter's conditioning is absolutely dreadful either. Seriously, Lutter was wasted after the near submission attempt. On another note, did anyone else notice how gassed Rich Franklin was at the end of that fight too? He was breathing HARD, like he'd just gone five rounds. I know Rich is known for his extreme conditioning regimine, but he just didn't look as in shape as usual. Regardless, he fought well and I hope he and Quarry hook it up again later this year. I don't think Franklin is ready for another piece of Anderson Silva quite yet.

Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra- Georges' take down at the start of this fight definitely set the tone for the rest of the match. It was clear right from the start that St. Pierre wanted to dominate Serra on the ground. Serra's no joke, he's a top BJJ guy and very good at what he does. Everyone wants to say that Serra sucks and isn't as great on the ground as he thinks he is but I disagree. St. Pierre is just on another level right now. His last fight against Matt Hughes showcased just how far along he's come in regard to his wrestling. Serra just looked like he was in deep trouble throughout this whole fight. St. Pierre is just too explosive and all around deadly. The knees that ended the fight seriously made me cringe. There was no way that Serra could have taken much more punishment. The look on his face after St. Pierre's second knee to the ribs was one of great pain. I really think St. Pierre will dominate the 170 lb. division for quite awhile, much like Anderson Silva is king at 185. Speaking of which, those two guys going at it one day in the octagon would be absolute fireworks. And it might not be too far fetched to think of a Silva vs. St. Pierre match either. I can only hope!
    dammm your like a straigh online analyst lol good write up it was a pretty good ufc ppv not up there in comparison though, now i cant wait for bj penn to dominate on the next one
    04-20-08 04:45 AM
    dammm your like a straigh online analyst lol good write up it was a pretty good ufc ppv not up there in comparison though, now i cant wait for bj penn to dominate on the next one
    lol I watch a lot of MMA And yeah, I'm really looking forward to the Penn vs. Sherk battle. I just hope Penn has trained hardcore in his cardio. He has a tendancy to fade in later rounds. It's that Hawaiian carefree lifestyle man!
    04-20-08 04:53 AM
    oh yeah brah, lol... do you watch ifl and wec
    04-20-08 05:08 AM
    I don't watch IFL at all to tell you the truth. I am a huge WEC fan though. I think the talent pool in the WEC is far superior to IFL's. I can't wait to watch Jens Pulver and Urijah Faber fight in June! I did catch that IFL championship bout though where Chris Horodecki had his face rearranged by Ryan Schultz. That was a beatdown.
    04-20-08 05:12 AM
    im good friends with jeff curran and bart palazewski, im actually going to chicago in june watch bart fight im stoked
    04-20-08 05:14 AM
    That's awesome! How do you know them? I like Jeff Curran. He fought a hard battle against Faber and gave him a run for his money. Can't wait to see him step back in the cage!
    04-20-08 05:31 AM
    he is fighting on the faber-pulver card i forgot who he said but i know hes on that card, i grew up with bart i used to beat him up lol and i met jeff through him they all stayed at my house during the faber fight lol jeff, bart, and nate mohr from the ufc it was a crazy weekend lol
    04-20-08 05:39 AM
    lol that's awesome you had all those pro MMA fighters over like it was a common thing. I met Urijah Faber in the airport at Columbus, OH after UFC 82. He was a really nice guy, stopped and chatted with me and my buddy before we got pictures with him. All three of us were at UFC 82 for the fights. Faber ended up being on the same flight back to Tampa with me and my buddy.
    04-20-08 04:31 PM
    holy **** man!! that is the last time i send my pc in for repair and not have any back up. How could i miss this thread1!?!?!?!?!??!?! alright i went to Fox and Hounds in schaumburg, IL to see it and it was a great night for me and my friends. lets see
    the danzig fight (please forgive my mispells im on my sisters in laws tiny macbook) great show of heart and determination from danzig, bocek just got his **** handed to him towards the end of round 2/3

bisping fight, the moment mccarthy started mocking bisping i thought, "man he charles gets knocked out or even submited, it would make charles look like a total tool" and what happened more than dozen nicely landed knees and hes out writhing in pain...bisping looked more cut than at 205 more crisp landing combos looks like he found the right weight class

quarry fight....**** kalib, because of his poor action in the ring....UFC has cut him from the organization and dana white even went on record to say that he needs to find a different line of work

Franklin fight i must admit i was about to get on my hands and knees ready to scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when i saw the arm bar in progress but seeing his fantastic counter to roll out of it and basically make lutter gas out was amazing. i never really liked lutter and his showing of horrible cardio made him suck even more

GSP, all i can say is...........i wish i had money on the fight I told my friends at work that he would win by TKO in round 2. and we all know how that ended. great fights great time with friends, also bought a shirt of an up and coming fighter line clothing called HURT clothing, the website is hurtclothing(dot)com cant wait to see the dragon machida destroy cry baby ortiz and sherk to be completely humiliated by BJ
    04-21-08 09:14 PM
    underarmourfool if you wanna meet jeff and bart the fight organization jeff owns is having fights in lakemoor on the 25th i think check out XFO
    04-21-08 11:17 PM
    lol that's awesome you had all those pro MMA fighters over like it was a common thing. I met Urijah Faber in the airport at Columbus, OH after UFC 82. He was a really nice guy, stopped and chatted with me and my buddy before we got pictures with him. All three of us were at UFC 82 for the fights. Faber ended up being on the same flight back to Tampa with me and my buddy.
    i never really thought about it that way lol i dont look at them as being "big" or "mma fighters someone saw on tv" but i guess from another point of view it is pretty cool lol
    04-22-08 01:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD