Hey Guys,

Was contemplating we should maybe try and better organize the Off Topic Forums by getting a bunch of sub-categories in here. Will take a ton of work to re-categorize existing threads into the new subforums once made, but all in all would probably make it a lot better for browsing through here.

Some initial thoughts are:

- Sports
    - Politics
    - Celebrity Talk/Gossip
    - Gaming
    - Member Banter
    - Automobiles

Let us know if it's a good idea, and if so, list your thoughts/ideas on this thread. Thanks!!
    i said it before but I think cb should have a chat section .....that would be so cool
    04-24-09 09:31 AM
    great idea, you should also add a "barsky's lounge" where you have to have x amount of post to view/post/reply in the sub-topic but it would be alot less watched by the admin.....
    This seems like an interesting idea ... I'm not sure how well it would work here though.
    i said it before but I think cb should have a chat section .....that would be so cool
    Great, even more addicting! Now, people at work are going to spend an hour in the chat instead of a couple minutes helping someone, lol

Overall, I'd say no. If we had an over-abundance of OT thread, that were all live and actively responded to, then maybe. But there aren't THAT many people in OT (let alone the fact that people probably don't know it exists). Just my $.02
    04-24-09 01:33 PM
    i think it would work good if you did it like the storm forums. Just have like the 1 main OT for everything, then have the subcategories listed at the top of that page, not all listed separately on the main forum list
    04-24-09 06:18 PM
    Subforums would be a great idea although I think Politics, Religion
    and Sexuality are recipes for disaster. A music subforum would
    rock (no pun intended) my world.
    04-26-09 06:47 AM
    you make this barskys lounge or whatever sound like just a general chat area, like the off topic section now, just with less strict rules. Im talking a war forum where you go to purposefully discuss and defend your topics or dissuade someone elses
    our car club has a strick no politics/no sex/no faith/no fighting discussions in our general forums. And a couple of us that like to speak our minds tastefully with, facts not "feelings" or "so and so said this", wanted to open a sub forum that we could speak our minds freely. So our admin/mod's got together and opened "barsky's lounge". where we could talk about politics/sex/faith and if we felt like debating we could, without worring that it'd turn into a fight.

When the lounge opened each of us that could post/reply/see BL got this email.

In order to provide a place for everyone to express their joy at various things happening in our world today that are currently off limits in the general forums, we've decided to create a new forum called Brasky's Lounge. Braskey's Lounge is where politics and everything else can be discussed. This does not mean there are no rules or moderation; e-thugging and personal attacks will still not be allowed. This only means Braskey's Lounge is the place where you can discuss Nancy Pelosi's latest frock or the GM buyout or whatever else is on your mind not allowed in the other forums. The staff will still be watching Braskey's, but moderation will be as loose as possible to allow everyone to exchange ideas.

Please keep in mind this is the ONLY FORUM on SWOV for this type of discussion. All current rules regarding unallowable topics in the other forums are still in place. Unallowable topics in the other forums will be immediately deleted and the person doing the posting promptly warned.

THE rules:

1. Enter at your own risk. For example, if you decide to go into a bar, don't be offended by the fact that people in there are drinking and there's probably going to be some drunks with opinions you don't agree with and it may get loud. It's part of going into a bar. And similar to a bar, there is a minimum requirement in order to play: You must have at least 500 posts.

2. Braskey's Lounge is a place to exchange opinions on topics not allowed elsewhere on SWOV. We still reserve the right to delete anything in there if we see a reason or need and to suspend/ban people who lose their self control.

3. There will no longer be ANY tolerance for anything out of line in the main forums. If we see something marginal outside the Lounge, it gets smoked immediately and the staff will act accordingly.

4. No nudity or pron, we have the Dojo for that.

This is a test and if it goes well, we'll leave it up. If it doesn't go well, it will go away. It's been proven on occasion when certain threads were left open that people can have reasonable discussions about politics and
    and so far we haven't had any problems. and one of the things the admin stress aslong as you follow those four rules you cannot get banned for anything said in the BLounge. Where as on here it seems like the banhammer has been getting swung quite freq'ly. I understand that the forum needs rules for lingo and topics to be talked about but some time you need to be able to speak your mind without tip-toeing around some rules.

[SWOV = SouthWest Ohio Volkswagen] and the dojo refers to DubDojo.com
    04-27-09 12:40 PM
    Yea.. I dont know about a Religion/Politics/Sex subforum...

Those three should be left at home.

Although, I do occasionally indulge in such topics...

Temptation gets the better of me!

The subforum idea is a pretty great idea, but I do think that they should be very very general.

The way it is now, though- is pretty good.

The Subforums would just get streamlined a bit.

I just fret the possibility of it feeling far to "tight" or "Restricted".

I like the freeflow feel it has now.
    04-30-09 03:27 PM
    big question...is there a theme or just a program i could put on my curve 8310 to make the media menu, the one tht shows icons music pictures videos etc., look like the bolds menu cause i think tht looks awesome i want it really bad
    05-02-09 11:03 AM
    ok, i changed my mind.. the OT area has become overloaded as of late. people are creating the randomest threads(half of which dont even garner a response) definately subtopics are in order...
    maybe a really good sub topic would be something like "games" or "keep it going" for the threads like first letter/last letter, in my pants, im old school like..
    maybe an OT rant forum..
    an OT entertainment forum..
    an OT news forum..
    an OT jokes forum..
    and, maybe an OT ETC. forum where the odds and ends go.
    05-06-09 10:36 AM
    Politics is a good idea if un-moderated.....
    05-07-09 08:16 PM
    I like the idea of an unmoderated forum. Not that moderators wouldn't be allowed. Just that threads wouldn't be closed or locked for any reason.
    06-07-09 10:16 PM
    I like the idea of an unmoderated forum. Not that moderators wouldn't be allowed. Just that threads wouldn't be closed or locked for any reason.
    i SECOND THAT!
    06-11-09 07:51 AM
    Probably not a good idea to have an unmoderated forum.
    06-12-09 08:01 AM
    I would love a parenting forum just for BB parents to chat. A book lovers forum would be wonderful also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 09:25 AM
    don't seperate by topic but rather...how about maybe 3 sub-forums in the off topic area...level 1 would be tightly moderated; threads could be closed or moved to a higher level and basically G-rated...level 2 would be lightly moderated; threads could be moved but not closed and basically R-rated...level 3 would be no moderation, no closing and no censorship of threads as they would live or die by the interest in them...but perhaps an acceptance waiver to enter level 3?
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 06-14-09 at 07:05 PM.
    06-14-09 07:03 PM
    ok, i changed my mind.. the OT area has become overloaded as of late. people are creating the randomest threads(half of which dont even garner a response) definately subtopics are in order...
    maybe a really good sub topic would be something like "games" or "keep it going" for the threads like first letter/last letter, in my pants, im old school like..
    maybe an OT rant forum..
    an OT entertainment forum..
    an OT news forum..
    an OT jokes forum..
    and, maybe an OT ETC. forum where the odds and ends go.
    I agree with several of the ideas posted here, especially this one. There are several random & pointless threads that need to go into an etc. type subforum. Random & Pointless might actually be a perfect name for it!
    I also agree with the unmoderated forum with a minimum post count. 500 is a bit high though. Perhaps 100? 200? I think by that point a person has a pretty good grasp on how things roll around here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 11:29 PM
    I think that's way too high, as the off-topic posts don't count, and that's exactly where we are talking about going. Maybe invitation only...

Also, an unmoderated forum won't work, but I'm a member at Tom'sHardware.com, and we've had basically that type of forum for years. It's for the regulars only. n00bs get flamed until they run away screaming or they put up with it long enough to earn our respect. It's not visited by the normal mods, but there are a few mods with power in that forum who visit the forum. Think of an almost anything goes TBL with Wolf as the mod...

At Tom's pretty much anything goes except hard core pr0n and racial / ethnic slurs that come out of nowhere... There's some really strange stuff going on, but everyone gets along very well...

As far as the organization, I don't really care... I think it's a good idea... I like the "keep it going" thread for PSH and Star Friend and Last Letter Games and such...
    06-19-09 07:27 AM
    Well thank you Flamingo Kid!

The Keeper of the Pouch
    06-19-09 07:32 AM
    milestones? like posts or time with your BB
    06-29-09 09:44 AM
    I guess our request of an unmoderated forum wasn't ignored. It's unfortunate that it's not affiliated what-so-ever with CB. I used to love this site, but lately... I'd post the issues I have, but I'd probably get another warning.

Track Ball Lights Cafe - The New Addiction
    07-08-09 06:05 PM
    Unmoderated forums will not work. Don't even think about it, because it will change the flavor of Crackberry...and it won't be good.
    07-08-09 06:35 PM
    Unmoderated forums will not work. Don't even think about it, because it will change the flavor of Crackberry...and it won't be good.
    I never meant completely unmoderated. I mean a section where there's a group of unmoderated threads. Throw TBL and PSH, along with several others in there. Everyone knows each other, and everyone can set loose and have a bit of fun. Mj and Wolf put together a TBL off-site. As unfortunate as this is(because of how much I enjoy this site) it is alot more fun And will eventually mean members going over there instead of coming on here.

I'm posting over there right now. Feel slightly reluctant to today, seen as how I've stacked two warning ups for today from posts that were posted 2 months ago.
    07-08-09 06:48 PM
    I never meant completely unmoderated. I mean a section where there's a group of unmoderated threads. Throw TBL and PSH, along with several others in there. Everyone knows each other, and everyone can set loose and have a bit of fun. Mj and Wolf put together a TBL off-site. As unfortunate as this is(because of how much I enjoy this site) it is alot more fun And will eventually mean members going over there instead of coming on here.

I'm posting over there right now. Feel slightly reluctant to today, seen as how I've stacked two warning ups for today from posts that were posted 2 months ago.
    Well see, everyone's idea of "fun" is different, and for those who think like you when it comes to what's considered "fun", the off-site community works. That was the best solution. But I can have fun, without being profane/obscene, or just plain ugly/negative. I guess I don't get it...just like I don't get drunks.

Crackberry has been around for a good while, and while OT is great, it's not the strength of CB, not by any stretch. The activity on the Berry forums is overwhelming at times...the vast majority seem to appreciate the main reason this community was created. The BS revolving around folks who wanna make their own rules, rather than observe the rules that are in place, is not even worth tending to.
    07-08-09 07:40 PM
    Well see, everyone's idea of "fun" is different, and for those who think like you when it comes to what's considered "fun", the off-site community works. That was the best solution. But I can have fun, without being profane/obscene, or just plain ugly/negative. I guess I don't get it...just like I don't get drunks.

Crackberry has been around for a good while, and while OT is great, it's not the strength of CB, not by any stretch. The activity on the Berry forums is overwhelming at times...the vast majority seem to appreciate the main reason this community was created. The BS revolving around folks who wanna make their own rules, rather than observe the rules that are in place, is not even worth tending to.
    I think ripping apart threads looking for anything that might be considered unacceptable, is in itself, unacceptable. Then you go and bother a whole group of CB members, some of which are in the several thousands of posts which makes them more than just a member... I know moderators have been in that thread looking around, and I know plenty of them have seen what we do. Why wait till now to put your foot down and make a huge scene. 24 members and growing... I'm not the only one
    07-08-09 07:47 PM
    24 members and growing... I'm not the only one
    I'm interested in joining this forum too just have not had the time yet. I think it would be acceptable to have an unmoderated forum if it was clearly marked so no stragglers make their way in and are offended. Then I think everyone would be happy.

But I also understand that Crackberry has always been family-friendly too. It's obvious people can easily be offended and I certainly wouldn't want to be the cause of that.
    07-09-09 09:22 AM
    I think ripping apart threads looking for anything that might be considered unacceptable, is in itself, unacceptable. Then you go and bother a whole group of CB members, some of which are in the several thousands of posts which makes them more than just a member... I know moderators have been in that thread looking around, and I know plenty of them have seen what we do. Why wait till now to put your foot down and make a huge scene. 24 members and growing... I'm not the only one
    Why is it unacceptable? That's what the mods do. Quite honestly, I think a lot of folks like to push buttons, and then complain when there's an explosion. Doesn't matter why they "waited". You're not going to know. But, if the content of the threads was unacceptable, based on the guidelines that are clearly outlined, then they did what they're supposed to do...when you did what you weren't supposed to do.

I don't rate the "value" of members, based on the the number of posts. Never have. That's a big problem here. If we eliminated rank and the viewing of post counts, folks would act a lot better and perhaps start to think a little more soberly, regarding their level of importance. Like who you like, but that doesn't mean that I'm mesmerized, impressed, or in any way moved by their "star quality". They got two legs and two arms, just like me (I'm guessing).

You have a new hangout. Enjoy it, and do what you like, till you pass out. But to think you're going to "uproot" the very foundation of CB..that folks are just going to follow you...simply so they can cuss/fuss/combust, with no interruption? You're not thinking clearly. Then you LINK (from Crackberry) to a site, where you openly hiss and bite at the mods...at Crackberry. Okay. Yep...that's real smart.

Go in peace.

The bottom line (back on topic): Unmoderated forums have no place here. It's not that kind of community.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 07-09-09 at 09:59 AM.
    07-09-09 09:31 AM
112 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD