Well, I learned something new! Here I thought OG meant "Original Global" (to be distinguished from the AT&T PP and, of course, the SE).

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 10:02 AM
    Presumably the type of people who attribute new meanings to words (like the three you mentioned) and invent curious new ways of pronouncing existing words are well educated and hold the relevant degrees to educate me on the Queen's English and I can take their linguistic suggestions and reapply them with the warm confidence that I'm helping to better my language and build confidently on the bedrock of it's foundation. I mean, it's not as though we're allowing our language to be shaped by people who wander around in jeans two sizes too big and no belt. Is it?

I'll stand against the tide thanks and watch the clowns do their thing.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    No, I the sort of people who, for example, changed the word "flutterby" to "butterfly" many centuries ago were just ordinary people going about their lives. The same is true for those who changed the meaning of the word "silly" from its earlier definition (possessing childlike innocence) to its modern usage (so lacking in judgment or discretion as to start a debate about the proper use of abbreviations in a forum dedicated to discussing a particular make a model smartphone)

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 10:10 AM
    Presumably the type of people who attribute new meanings to words (like the three you mentioned) and invent curious new ways of pronouncing existing words are well educated and hold the relevant degrees to educate me on the Queen's English and I can take their linguistic suggestions and reapply them with the warm confidence that I'm helping to better my language and build confidently on the bedrock of it's foundation. I mean, it's not as though we're allowing our language to be shaped by people who wander around in jeans two sizes too big and no belt. Is it?

+1
    08-17-15 10:18 AM

It is of course your prerogative not to use modern slang. Plenty of people don't. But just watch, decades from now -- perhaps even just a couple years -- the dictionaries will change to reflect the language of the majority. Whether you care to admit or not, the youth of today will be the majority of tomorrow. Internet culture dictates that "OG" now means "original". Argue about its stupidity all you want, all you're doing is expending energy on something that's not going to change... or rather, in this instance, will continue to change.
    Just my two cents.

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    BerryRipe likes this.
    08-17-15 10:20 AM
    I the sort of people
    Posted via CB10
    LOL
    SK122387 likes this.
    08-17-15 10:21 AM
    I thought O.G, stood for Over Gold?
    08-17-15 10:47 AM
    "OG Loc" was a funny character in GTA: San Andreas. How cool's that?
    08-17-15 10:55 AM
    It is of course your prerogative not to use modern slang. Plenty of people don't. But just watch, decades from now -- perhaps even just a couple years -- the dictionaries will change to reflect the language of the majority. Whether you care to admit or not, the youth of today will be the majority of tomorrow. Internet culture dictates that "OG" now means "original". Argue about its stupidity all you want, all you're doing is expending energy on something that's not going to change... or rather, in this instance, will continue to change.
    Just my two cents.

I don't disagree with you. Just saddened by the fact that people who don't even read books (or can't read) are talking rubbish so relentlessly through the internet or popular music that weaker minds (of which there are plenty) think it's "cool" to emulate and eventually even the dictionary bows to the will of the sheep. I honestly find it difficult to understand some kids these days. I'm in my forties and I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the line the TV started lowering their standards and the radio DJ's started sounding like morons. Maybe I'm just getting old before my time but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to relate to anyone under 25. And the bizarre thing is that the dumbest, least experienced segment of our society is allowed to have the biggest influence in shaping it. It tells a story when people give up on language as a form of communication and just pull stupid faces instead and use Snapchat. And I'd personally like to award Vine the trophy for the best app ever, thanks for recognising the fact that the current generation can only concentrate for six seconds and the quality of the content that has been put out there so far. I understand Vine 2 will feature five second video clips.

Also, spelling mistakes. How the hell do they manage to cram so many into just a few short sentences using a device with a spell checker? And they are all carrying a device that can access the sum of all human knowledge and are using it for fart apps and Angry birds.

Well, rant over. Sorry.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    dejanh, zombiecupcake and blackmoe like this.
    08-17-15 11:05 AM
    I thought O.G, stood for Over Gold?
    Haha, that's a quote from "I'm gonna git you sucka!" well remembered.

08-17-15 11:06 AM
    Very classic movie.

Haha, that's a quote from "I'm gonna git you sucka!" well remembered.

08-17-15 11:19 AM
    I don't disagree with you. Just saddened by the fact that people who don't even read books (or can't read) are talking rubbish so relentlessly through the internet or popular music that weaker minds (of which there are plenty) think it's "cool" to emulate and eventually even the dictionary bows to the will of the sheep. I honestly find it difficult to understand some kids these days. I'm in my forties and I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the line the TV started lowering their standards and the radio DJ's started sounding like morons. Maybe I'm just getting old before my time but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to relate to anyone under 25. And the bizarre thing is that the dumbest, least experienced segment of our society is allowed to have the biggest influence in shaping it. It tells a story when people give up on language as a form of communication and just pull stupid faces instead and use Snapchat. And I'd personally like to award Vine the trophy for the best app ever, thanks for recognising the fact that the current generation can only concentrate for six seconds and the quality of the content that has been put out there so far. I understand Vine 2 will feature five second video clips.

Also, spelling mistakes. How the hell do they manage to cram so many into just a few short sentences using a device with a spell checker? And they are all carrying a device that can access the sum of all human knowledge and are using it for fart apps and Angry birds.

Well, rant over. Sorry.

Hey I'm right there with ya. I'm only 26 and I can't even relate to the majority of my generation. Perhaps I'm a bit defensive, though, since my generation has had a hand in how language, entertainment and art have changed so drastically in recent years. Sadly, the chasm between gen X, Y, and Z is so vast that the out of touch tend to pander to the lowest common denominator just to catch interest of the young. Today's society has embraced the "notice me!" culture, where being different in order to get attention is more important than doing things appropriately. And can we blame em? We were raised with the ideals that everyone's a special precious snowflake and can do/be whatever they want to be. So even if they do things that some, if not most, people deem incorrect or obnoxious, well that's a-ok because the naysayers are just haters! Ridiculous, yes. But there you have it. Change happens in good and bad ways, to be sure.

I know this rant is totally derailing the thread but I feel I have to mention that poor funding to education, social welfare, etc. has a hand in the ignorance of our children. Chances are there wouldn't be as many saggy-pantsed slang bangers if not for people who vote to cut funding to important educational/ socail welfare programs. But again, that's some stuff for another type of forum! Lol. Sorry for rambling!

dejanh, guygardner73 and blackmoe like this.
    08-17-15 11:27 AM
    Just look at it this way:
    OriGinal.

You're welcome.

Now that was flat out OG babygirl...LoL

OP don't look outward for satisfaction or pleasure because in this day in age you may get very disappointed and don't expect people to act or talk the way you want them to. Sure there are plenty of examples of how modern society has been influenced by people less educated than yourself but who are you to change that? There's a huge amount of stuff in this World that I don't agree with but it's not all about me.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BerryRipe; 08-17-15 at 11:54 AM.
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    08-17-15 11:29 AM

Well, rant over. Sorry.

Oh shut it, buddy. We're conversing on an internet forum about a cellular phone. Trust me, my personal statement for professional school was constructed over the course of months and employs graceful use of the English language and rhetorical devices.

I don't give a **** about any of that when replying to a comment about a smartphone. Typo? Likely because I'm pressed for time and don't care about proofreading. Grammatical error? See previous sentence. You can continue to make slight remarks inferring that gangsters and those who use slang are lower than you and lack the smarts. Fine by me, I just think you're being dumb for attempting to bring it up on a cellular phone forum.

As for the dictionary "bowing to the will of the sheep..." I suggest you do a little research on the history of the dictionary, its purpose, and it's constant evolution.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    08-17-15 12:18 PM

Well, rant over. Sorry.

Every generation is the same. Our parents complained about us, their parents complained about them, and so on. It's not necessarily a bad thing. We'd all be talking in 18th century Old English writing with quills if it didn't work this way. It's all about communicating - it will continue to evolve.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    08-17-15 12:25 PM
    Besides, how else would suburbanite white kids learn how to sound just like they'z strait outa compton?

Off topic - OG does not mean original, never did never will-f209d8a412e6d7e9094a5e7e6e0e43f7.jpg
    08-17-15 12:39 PM
    Oh shut it, buddy. We're conversing on an internet forum about a cellular phone. Trust me, my personal statement for professional school was constructed over the course of months and employs graceful use of the English language and rhetorical devices.

I don't give a **** about any of that when replying to a comment about a smartphone. Typo? Likely because I'm pressed for time and don't care about proofreading. Grammatical error? See previous sentence. You can continue to make slight remarks inferring that gangsters and those who use slang are lower than you and lack the smarts. Fine by me, I just think you're being dumb for attempting to bring it up on a cellular phone forum.

As for the dictionary "bowing to the will of the sheep..." I suggest you do a little research on the history of the dictionary, its purpose, and it's constant evolution.
    Zip it Clyde. Read the title of the thread. How does that relate to a phone? It's a thread about language and the meaning of a particular phrase. I think you're dumb for going off topic and not realising that I imply, you infer.

08-17-15 12:48 PM
    Besides, how else would suburbanite white kids learn how to sound just like they'z strait outa compton?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f209d8a412e6d7e9094a5e7e6e0e43f7.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	367202
    Haha, bang on the money! So true.

08-17-15 01:05 PM
    First of all, the phrase is from the early 90's. So I assume the youth you are all talking about are the over 30 crowd. Probably most familiar with those in their late 30's.

Second, it isn't a reference to the first gangster. It is 'originally a gangster' to para phrase it for you. As in they used to be a gangster.

Third, the people that made this phrase popular are multi-millionaires. Not some plebs.

Fourth, language is a living creation that will continuously evolve. It is about communication and expression. The rules are not set in stone. It will never conform to any standard.

Finally, it seems that age does not necessarily impart wisdom.
    middbrew likes this.
    08-17-15 01:20 PM

I totally agree. Age and education do not make a person wise, but only provide the opportunity to become wise. There are far too many people who have progressed in age or acquired an education that do not use either to it's fullest potential. One needs to look beyond the surface of their own existences and consider that everything is fluid and never stays the same.
    08-17-15 01:38 PM
    I totally agree. Age and education do not make a person wise, but only provide the opportunity to become wise. There are far too many people who have progressed in age or acquired an education that do not use either to it's fullest potential. One needs to look beyond the surface of their own existences and consider that everything is fluid and never stays the same.
    Very philosophical. Wise words indeed.

08-17-15 01:41 PM
    "I'm old and annoying and I don't understand these kids today!"

Reminds me of the Simpsons

http://m.imgur.com/r/TheSimpsons/NFrnt

FML
    08-17-15 01:45 PM
    First of all, the phrase is from the early 90's. So I assume the youth you are all talking about are the over 30 crowd. Probably most familiar with those in their late 30's.

Second, it isn't a reference to the first gangster. It is 'originally a gangster' to para phrase it for you. As in they used to be a gangster.

Third, the people that made this phrase popular are multi-millionaires. Not some plebs.

Fourth, language is a living creation that will continuously evolve. It is about communication and expression. The rules are not set in stone. It will never conform to any standard.

Well, if the date of the saying is relevant, it's "over gold". It was coined in the mid eighties.

If OG meant "originally a gangster" the abbreviation wouldn't fit into a sentence. One would simply say "former gang member".

The people who would have abbreviated "Originally a Gangster" to "OG" irrespective of bank account size, need to go back to school.

The rules may not be set in stone but some acknowledgement that they exist would be nice.

Age does not always impart wisdom but it helps.

I strongly suggest that your assertion as to the meaning of "OG" is rather fanciful.

Either way, what does it matter? When someone on here says OG passport, we know what they mean. It is obvious after all.

08-17-15 01:57 PM
    "I'm old and annoying and I don't understand these kids today!"

Reminds me of the Simpsons

http://m.imgur.com/r/TheSimpsons/NFrnt

FML
    Me too.

08-17-15 01:58 PM
    Well, if the date of the saying is relevant, it's "over gold". It was coined in the mid eighties.

If OG meant "originally a gangster" the abbreviation wouldn't fit into a sentence. One would simply say "former gang member".

The people who would have abbreviated "Originally a Gangster" to "OG" irrespective of bank account size, need to go back to school.

The rules may not be set in stone but some acknowledgement that they exist would be nice.

Age does not always impart wisdom but it helps.

I strongly suggest that your assertion as to the meaning of "OG" is rather fanciful.

Either way, what does it matter? When someone on here says OG passport, we know what they mean. It is obvious after all.

Wow man, you continually impress me with each subsequent, pointless harangue.
    08-17-15 02:13 PM
    Wow man, you continually impress me with each subsequent, pointless harangue.
    Relax, it's just Banter.

08-17-15 03:05 PM
59 123